The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Gap closer abilities regularly put me behind my target instead of in front of them.

winky
winky
As a 2H werewolf DK, i regularly use either Critical Charge or Pounce as my initial attack on mobs. Most of the time, these abilities put me behind my target, rather than in front of them, requiring me to turn around 180 degrees before i can fight them. This makes me not want to use these two abilities or even play this character.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    winky wrote: »
    As a 2H werewolf DK, i regularly use either Critical Charge or Pounce as my initial attack on mobs. Most of the time, these abilities put me behind my target, rather than in front of them, requiring me to turn around 180 degrees before i can fight them. This makes me not want to use these two abilities or even play this character.
    That same outcome often occurs with the Templar ability Focused Charge, and with the corresponding One Hand & Shield ability and its morph, Invasion.

Possibly, there isn't much that the ZOS development team can do about it, if anything. It depends upon why the software produces the output that we see. It isn't necessarily the result of a "bug", but of a deficiency in the design per se of the software. There are plenty of other, simpler bugs that they haven't fixed and I doubt that they will dig-in to fix this one, either.

Edited by Shadowshire on October 30, 2017 9:53PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    be happy they don't put you behind a loading screen instead :(
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This usually happens because the mob moves towards you after you fire the skill. Probably because the mob senses the skill like anything else magical and aggros. Since your target is really a point on the ground, not the mob, you end up on top or behind the mob.

One thing you can do is animation cancel the charge. As you approach the target, give a backwards (I use the S key on the keyboard) and that is where you will stop. You still deal out the damage or stun or whatever. It takes a bit of practice to time it right but you can place your self in front of the mob and continue your attack.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    This usually happens because the mob moves towards you after you fire the skill. Probably because the mob senses the skill like anything else magical and aggros. Since your target is really a point on the ground, not the mob, you end up on top or behind the mob.

One thing you can do is animation cancel the charge. As you approach the target, give a backwards (I use the S key on the keyboard) and that is where you will stop. You still deal out the damage or stun or whatever. It takes a bit of practice to time it right but you can place your self in front of the mob and continue your attack.

Thanks, I haven't tried that.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to my Stamblade *all* *the* *time* ... So frustrating ...
    headbang.gif
  • winky
    winky

Most of the time this happens to me, it's not because the mob moves toward me after i fire the skill.

I'll try your technique of canceling the animation. Thanks.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Addressed on Eso live
  • winky
    winky

I've been noticing how this happens for me. Thanks for pointing it out. One of my theoretical problems with this behavior is that if the mob isn't aggro'd by me at my current distance, then activating an ability at that distance shouldn't aggro the mob. They shouldn't be aggro'd until they're affected by the ability. Take the bow skill Snipe, for instance: it can take a long time to arc to the target and the target doesn't aggro until it hits them. The same should be true of gap closers - they're basically a form of "sneak attack", meant to almost instantly transport us to our target. Choosing to charge a mob outside of aggro range shouldn't aggro a mob. An argument can be made that they should be aggro'd once we enter aggro range, but most gap closers move so quickly that the reaction time within that distance should be close to nil (and, i might argue, counted as nil).

The objective of a gap closer is to quickly put you at your target. Having gap closers aggro your target when you fire the skill rather than when you reach them contradicts that purpose.

On the other hand, i understand the realism of action combat targeting - if i target a mob then fire a skill and the mob moves before the skill reaches them, i miss the target. With gap closers, the onus is on me to target the mob in a group that isn't likely to move after i fire the skill (ie: a caster).
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Happens to my Stamblade *all* *the* *time* ... So frustrating ...
    headbang.gif

It happens to you with the Ambush class skill? Because one of the main reason that stamblade is my favorite character is that that gap closer never bugs out for me. The other ones all the time, but never Ambush. Probably because it has no travel time, giving targets no time to react.
    Edited by Everstorm on November 21, 2017 9:50AM