Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Why dungeons created manually aren't dark enough?

Gargath
Gargath
✭✭✭✭✭
In my Forgotten Stronghold I made a deep pit prison for soulless ones, but I can't force it to be dark enough.
I used many black rocks from Vivec City and closed entire space without any access of the day light, but still it's too much light inside the pit.
Why the game doesn't recognize closed spaces which were made by player as a dungeon and doesn't create darkness?

33ovwbv.jpg
Edited by Gargath on November 18, 2017 2:11PM
PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because most dungeons in the game aren't dark. The only times I recall really dark dungeons are when darkness is a mechanic, like in Greenshade's shadow realm or the Coldharbor quest to rescue the Ayleid king. Even the darker themed dungeons like Vaults of Madness and Crypts of Hearts are never really dark.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn down your gamma correction ...
    shades.gif
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I built a cave out of those volcanic plugs. Their surface is covered in that white bloom lighting. I agree it does look wrong.
    PC EU
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    In my Forgotten Stronghold I made a deep pit prison for soulless ones, but I can't force it to be dark enough.
    I used many black rocks from Vivec City and closed entire space without any access of the day light, but still it's too much light inside the pit.
    Why the game doesn't recognize closed spaces which were made by player as a dungeon and doesn't create darkness?

33ovwbv.jpg

the bottttom side of granite rocks are darker then the plugs tbh
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    the bottttom side of granite rocks are darker then the plugs tbh
    The problem is we need to find a rock large enough and in good shape, to build a very large structure with a minimum amount of rocks (to save the hooks), which looks cool from inside and outside. Those volcanic slabs perfectly fit, they are +/- rectangular and thick enough to make a good look from outer side , while being flat from inner and outer sides.
    What I wanted to achieve is a very dark area on the pit's bottom (where the prisoners are held) with dark walls and bright upper platforms - would be a perfect effect.

Gamma correction isn't the best solution. I'll try with Votan's Darker Nights addon, it creates a really darker dungeons especially in places without lights.
    Edited by Gargath on November 19, 2017 10:37AM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My forsaken has a huge mine full of crystals also those huge volcanic rocks are amazing for building caves, mines etc. My mine has a working, steaming dwemmer power drill to make me all that gold, lol
    r7574n58dmqa.png
    rgnltqsg342i.jpeg
    k0f5c1phdv80.jpeg
    Edited by Krainor1974 on November 20, 2017 1:11PM
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can build a dungeon in ESO? :open_mouth:
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cave with crystals would be much better looking if it had the proper lightning, light should play it's own role depending from the places. Just like here in this "official" lava cave:
    WuhOgNA.jpg
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    The cave with crystals would be much better looking if it had the proper lightning, light should play it's own role depending from the places. Just like here in this "official" lava cave:
    WuhOgNA.jpg

I left a large opening on one side and on top so you can see the river, falls and mountain so the mine is bright during the day and darker at night
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about some stalagmites from crown store :).

Meanwhile, here's my prison from the outside with main entrance :)
    zDRfGHi.jpg
  • Thrudra_Magia
    Thrudra_Magia
    ✭✭✭
    There's an add-on called Voltan's Darker Nights which I've been using for a couple of weeks now and I am enjoying the darkness provided by this add-on.

You may want to try the add-on although it cannot distinguish between a dungeon and outside, only ZoS can do that at the moment.

But I agree I think it's far too bright ingame and adjusting my gamma all the time is not an option.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually it's Votan's, and I use it too, it makes the delves much much better looking than in vanilla game.
    But sadly it can't do anything with artificially made delves, just as you mentioned above.

I noticed ZOS is selling hag fen mist for crowns, maybe darkness will also be sold some day :) .