The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Houses you can build 'up' in without hitting invisible walls/barriers

theslynx
theslynx
✭✭✭
Some other threads in this section have pointed to invisible walls, barriers, ceilings, etc and frustrations from people trying to build extra levels or lofts in tall, thin houses: they buy a house hoping to build upwards, only to find it impossible. I wanted to start a thread so hopefully people could pool their information about houses and people can make intelligent purchases based on their plans. Maybe someone here will find it useful.

I gathered a few platforms and tried out building rudimentary second floors in some of my houses, then ran and jumped about on them to find bits that don't behave as they might appear. I don't have any the tallest races, so take my testing with a grain of salt if you do; I certainly can't claim to have been completely thorough.

If people find this worthwhile, I'll try to do a few other houses. Hopefully other people can share their experience with other houses, too.

Twin Arches

You could possibly get away with another level if you're really not claustrophobic. In the image, the max-height khajiit's head is just about touching the invisible ceiling, well below the apparent ceiling. To fit in larger characters, you'd be looking at a platform not much higher than a tall bookshelf. Probably not a great choice.

mV9h7fs.jpg

Captain Margaux's

Jumping around on various platforms here did not reveal any barriers where you wouldn't expect them. The posts and beams across the ceiling (from which the lamp hangs) do have collision and limit the scope of a make-do second storey, but otherwise this house does surprisingly well.

L2qzFnv.jpg

Hammerdeck

Or, where I store my junk. There's a significant divergence between the apparent and actual ceiling here; invisible barriers start around the first wood bit, just above the doorframe in the left side of the picture. It would be tough to fit in much of a loft here, even for short Bosmer.

kvI5Uzz.jpg

Black Vine

I have actually built a permanent second floor here, as shown. Most of it works, but the wall on the left side of the picture, near the fireplace/chimney, has a lower invisible ceiling that extends a metre or so out - roughly to spot where the makeshift railing meets the angled grate/ramp. My character fits here, but can't jump properly, and a tall Nord/Orc/Snooty Elf might not fit at all without lowering the platform a bit. The other walls seemed to work like you'd expect.

D1VrYh4.jpg

Ravenhome

Extending the upper platform to make additional upper rooms works well, with collision pretty closely matching apparent architecture. The upstairs 'rooms' pictured in the bottom half are best; the room not shown (near the courtyard side) can be a bit fiddly at times and doesn't have a great path to getting in or out, but can still be used.

q7NBzss.jpg

That's it for now. Hopefully this helps or at least does not irritate anyone. Thanks for reading.
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ample Domicile, the medium Argonian house in Stormhold has an invisible wall. Server is down now so I can't take a screenshot, but the "wall" is a bit lower than the small "dome" on the top. About 2 foot lower I think. It ruin my plan to turn that small dome into a bed room. I sent a ticket to support team hoping to get back 195k gold to buy the large Argonian house but not sure if they would do me that favour.
  • theslynx
    theslynx
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, @TheDarkShadow. Good luck with the refund.

A few more below. This exhausts my homes.

Khenarthi's Roost

The actual ceiling is significantly lower than it looks. My character was unable to reach the platform here; putting it lower may work for short characters, but will intersect elements like the windows.

XdpUYFf.jpg

Cyrodilic Jungle House

The collision on the beams comes a little bit lower than their model does, but my character could still move around; I can't vouch for the tallest of characters. Between the beams, I did not hit any barriers while jumping.

89HIrNY.jpg

Autumn's Gate

With platforms starting just over the door, invisible barriers are apparent in the middle of the room, but seem to be lower at where the roof is lower, impeding progress. Small characters may still find room enough to move around.

XD7nhup.jpg
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amaya lake lodge in morrowind.I added a 2nd floor with five beds above the library. Also in the apt a added a third floor as a bedroom. I use Orc platforms, bars and counters they a lot better than the planks.
    Edited by Krainor1974 on November 13, 2017 5:35PM
  • Mandimarco
    Mandimarco
    ✭✭
    Re: Twin Arches

I wanted to build up onto the roof but after painstakingly constructing steps up there, I discovered there was an invisible wall preventing me from actually getting onto it. Admittedly it's been awhile since I tried (and I am not in the game to check currently), so perhaps they could have changed something, but back when I bought it I tried many different ways of getting up there and I couldn't find a way.

It seemed more like just an invisible wall around the roof and not an invisible ceiling because I could get high enough that I could have been standing on it, I should have been able to just step right onto it, but I could not.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Barbed Hook Private Room

UD2TGsw.jpg

NBcoka0.jpg

oXbI89v.jpg

This is the altmer apartment so it's similar to the small altmer house. As seen in the first pic a new floor level can be placed pretty high. My character here isn't that tall but there's still more than plenty of room to jump. There's also plenty of extra space on the new floor.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the height of your "Ceiling", you can have multiple floors in certain homes.
    In my Cyrodilic for example, I have 3 floors, though it is quite cramped at the top floor.