The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is gap closing through doors now allowed?

Crewt
Crewt
I was watching <that guy with big hair> stream from a few days ago while he was on his NB. He said "I want to get in there" and gap closed through the door of Nikel. He then went upstairs and killed the same guy a few times before dying to some others.

I remember that this was supposed to be considered exploiting, which is why I haven't been doing it.

Has this changed and we're now allowed to do it without consequences?

If so that's amazing, and if not, are there actual consequences to doing it or is it something that we're just "not supposed to do"?

edit: Changed the name of the streamer so that i wouldn't be naming anyone.
Edited by Crewt on November 9, 2017 8:08PM
I am Crewt
  • AFisher
    AFisher
    Soul Shriven
    I saw that stream too, and what he did is clearly exploiting, though I don't think that ZOS will do anything about it.

The last time there was something that this person did against the rules and got a ban on his account, it was reversed very quickly due to public appearance. ESO was created by a company to make money, so as unfortunate as it may be, there are multiple standards that people are held to.

In September there was another big streamer whose game crashed and the cheat engine screen was shown in his desktop. Some people tried to report him, though nothing has happened.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you're definitely not supposed to try to do that.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    Yeah you're definitely not supposed to try to do that.

Yep. You're not supposed to do that, but at the same time, its easy to have happen when an enemy pops out the door and you're trying to kill him before they get back in.
  • Crewt
    Crewt
    @AFisher Is it just streamers who can do these things because of the publicity or do they really pay attention to anyone?

@Recremen and @technohic So if I do it accidentally, it's ok. What is to stop me from *accidentally* going through the door every time like mister big hair on stream? If he can do it publicly and have no consequences, why shouldn't I?
    I am Crewt
  • Crewt
    Crewt
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Would it be possible to get an official comment on if this isn't allowed, as well as if there are any consequences to doing it?
    I am Crewt
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cheating. Like the wall jumping. It's been said before. But threads like this don't go that far.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Crewt
    Crewt
    Beardimus wrote: »
    It's cheating. Like the wall jumping. It's been said before. But threads like this don't go that far.

@Beardimus What is wrong with this thread? I wanted an official answer to the question, especially as we see high profile people doing it!
    I am Crewt
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crewt wrote: »
    @AFisher Is it just streamers who can do these things because of the publicity or do they really pay attention to anyone?

@Recremen and @technohic So if I do it accidentally, it's ok. What is to stop me from *accidentally* going through the door every time like mister big hair on stream? If he can do it publicly and have no consequences, why shouldn't I?

I can't find the quote where one said it but I am sure they have before as I know I have since teleported into a keep on accident and thought "Sheesh. Hope I don't get a ban for this."

I think it would be hard to track to begin with though; and even then, prove intent when it can be done just by abilities you would possibly use in that situation. I'd assume ZOS has not seen the video or acted on it yet. Or; maybe they have but realize how difficult it is to enforce when they have known about this for a long time and have been unable to code it out.
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to three years ago, time traveler. The ambush bug has been in since launch iirc.

A long long time ago, in a thread far far away, ZOS made a statement to the effect that being able to ambush through doors was not intended. That was as far as they ever went to address the 'bug'. It was never fixed, nor has anyone ever been punished for it afaik. Though ppl have infamously been banned for gap closing up walls back when ZOS changed the path finding code to allow it - and were even warned with video evidence that it would allow precisely that back on the PTS.

Because of this essentially arbitrary enforcement/punishment of 'exploits', you're most likely never gona get an official answer from ZOS about it because that would set them up to either be held accountable to enforce policy and fix bugs, or result in a big loss of face if they don't follow through. PR dictates that it's safer for them to just stay silent and maintain the freedom to selectively enforce or ignore their own rules.

The announcement about gap closing up walls and subsequent ban wave was very uncharacteristic of ZOS, and I'm pretty sure they've gone back to ignoring stuff like that. I might be wrong, but show me a single person that was punished for exploiting the warden teleport to port ppl up to insta death barriers in IC and battlegrounds.
    Edited by HoloYoitsu on November 9, 2017 9:10PM
  • NobleGuardian
    NobleGuardian
    ✭✭✭
    Its a bug thats been in the game for awhile now and ZOS has yet to fix it. They know about the issue.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crewt wrote: »
    I was watching <that guy with big hair> stream from a few days ago while he was on his NB. He said "I want to get in there" and gap closed through the door of Nikel. He then went upstairs and killed the same guy a few times before dying to some others.

I remember that this was supposed to be considered exploiting, which is why I haven't been doing it.

Has this changed and we're now allowed to do it without consequences?

If so that's amazing, and if not, are there actual consequences to doing it or is it something that we're just "not supposed to do"?

edit: Changed the name of the streamer so that i wouldn't be naming anyone.

it is an exploit, so it is not allowed and can get you banned
  • Maikon
    Maikon
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should just make an example of the youtube trash and perma-ban his account.
  • Daedric_NB_187
    Daedric_NB_187
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happened to me today. Wondered how he got in BRK without any destroyed siege doors or walls.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly ZOS stance on cheating is to look the other way for as long as possible.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Lotus Fan and morphs also let you jump up the tower platforms from below. Levitation apparently is the newest NB skill :wink:
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has the official answer: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3146385/
    Hey everyone,

We are working on making some tweaks to certain gap closers that players are using to bypass core keep capture mechanics. It is not intended that gap closers be used to enter keeps without downing doors and/or walls, or enter areas you otherwise would not be able to without exploiting (below Dolmens, under water, etc.) While we are aware that players are using certain gap closers to do exactly these things, we do considered this behavior an exploit.

If you see another player exploiting in this manner, you can send us videos or other evidence by submitting a customer support ticket, by sending them to anyone on the Community or Moderation team here on the forums, or emailing us at community@elderscrollsonline.com.

Thank you!

• Crewt
    Crewt
    @VaranisArano That was in July 2016! That's more than a year ago!

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom Is this going to be fixed any time soon, and since there is hard evidence of a well known streamer doing exactly this and laughing about it, do you have any intent to do anything about him?
    Edited by Crewt on November 10, 2017 12:13AM
    I am Crewt
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y should this player get in trouble? Zos could have fixed this problem years ago but didnt. Been able to do this on and off since BETA with ANY gap closer.

At this point the onus is on zos, bc at 4 years later this is just sad. The player is right to laugh. Zos has epicly failed us customers. Its just a very, very sad joke: the state of this game/bugs.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem with ambush/lotus fan is that it's a teleport (yah I know obvious).

It actually works worse than charges as it's always failing from range (ps it uses the stamina cost even when it fails). Also... on top of it failing to work from range it also will not move you to the target, whereas charges get you to the target even if you miss them, ambush will jump you up and take your stamina and you go nowhere.

Going through doors, for most... is an accident or "an accident" with plausible deniability.

In this case... well, big hair is always exploiting something. How he's still around is why no one takes ZOS seriously. In his case, the plausible deniability excuse is obviously bs and people should report him and watch how ZOS does nothing and when he gets word of it he will be on his stream claiming he's above the laws of ZOS (like he usually does).
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, the difference between ambushing me on the inner keep stairs and getting into the keep as an accident or an "accident" with plausible deniability becomes pretty obvious after you proceed up the stairs and start killing my faction teammates before the walls have come down.

Like, I'm all for the faction, but dude, have a little patience.