The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help pc issues!

ACESsiggy
ACESsiggy
✭✭✭
I have an old rig but it has played ESO pretty solid with steady 60 fps (not in cities). Lately though my pc freezes/locks forcing me to hard reset.

Steps I’ve taken: bought new hard drive / clean installed windows 10 and moved ESO to the new hard drive. I’ve also checked the following: Memory, GPU/CPU temps, latest drivers, etc and yet it still locks up.

Not sure what else to do. I don’t seem to have any other issues while using my PC other than pc games. One thing that does get hot is my motherboards heat sink (not cpu’s heat sink).

CPU/Mem usage is around 55/50 percent for both so it isn’t that much of a load on my old rig.
Edited by ACESsiggy on October 24, 2017 6:04PM

Best Answer

• ACESsiggy
    ACESsiggy
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: the main reason my Pc was freezing was due to a program that monitored my temps called MS Afterburner.... if you have this installed and are also getting constant freezes while playing, uninstall ASAP :)

Since uninstalling that app - 0 issues into my second week playing.
    Edited by ACESsiggy on November 22, 2017 3:30PM
    Answer ✓
  • onemoxygirl
    Did you buy an SSD drive? Also maybe the GPU is older? Could be the processor if it's really old? I don't have enough stats to make any real suggestions.
  • ACESsiggy
    ACESsiggy
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I appreciate the response.

System Info:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Page File: 3112MB used, 6999MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Not Available
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 560
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Driver File Version: 22.21.0013.8569 (English)
    Driver Version: 22.21.13.8569
    DDI Version: 12
    Feature Levels: 11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 2.2

This is from DIRECT X tool.

At launch for this game this was the recommend specs:
    [ PC RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ]
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit
    Processor: Quad Core 2.3GHz or equivalent processor
    Memory: 4GB System RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 60GB free HDD space
    Video Card: Direct X 11 compliant video card with 2GB of RAM (NVIDIA® GeForce® 560 Ti / ATI Radeon™ 6950 or better)
    Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
    Edited by ACESsiggy on October 29, 2017 7:56PM
  • onemoxygirl
    Did you try to check for the most recent the driver? My GEForce driver was out of date and had to update it manually because I didn't have the GE Experience downloaded. Have you contacted support?
    You can also look at your ani-virus software and see if it's blocking something...
    Also run the game as administrator and see if that changes anything?
  • ACESsiggy
    ACESsiggy
    ✭✭✭
    Did you try to check for the most recent the driver? My GEForce driver was out of date and had to update it manually because I didn't have the GE Experience downloaded. Have you contacted support?
    You can also look at your ani-virus software and see if it's blocking something...
    Also run the game as administrator and see if that changes anything?

Yes my drivers are all updated. Anti-Virus is Windows Defender. I've already ran as admin and even changed/set priority for this application to above normal. Nothing has really helped...

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACESsiggy wrote: »

Not sure what else to do. I don’t seem to have any other issues while using my PC other than pc games. One thing that does get hot is my motherboards heat sink (not cpu’s heat sink).

Take the case side off, point a fan at the innards of the PC and see if you have the same issue with games.

Also, how old is your power supply? If it is aged, or was not a quality one to begin with (you would be surprised at how many crap PSU"s there are) it could also be the reason.

Heat Creep where the cards slowly unseat themselves with heat cycles can also cause this.

Double check all your power connectors and make sure they are fully seated along with the cards.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ACESsiggy
    ACESsiggy
    ✭✭✭
    Power Supply: Rosewill 850 supply. Seems to be working with no issues. I've checked the voltage trhough CPUID HWMonitor, EVGA OC Scanner X, etc and haven't seen any issues.

Double checked all connections.

I've also stress tested my CPU and GPU using EVGA OC utility. No issues maxed out with restarting or randomly freezing.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACESsiggy wrote: »
    Power Supply: Rosewill 850 supply. Seems to be working with no issues. I've checked the voltage trhough CPUID HWMonitor, EVGA OC Scanner X, etc and haven't seen any issues.

Double checked all connections.

I've also stress tested my CPU and GPU using EVGA OC utility. No issues maxed out with restarting or randomly freezing.

An 850W PSU should have plenty of grunt left even after a few years of deterioration due to age, and a single GTX 560 won't strain it. My guess is it's motherboard dying.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a long shot yes.

Have you tried running Tamriel without addons?

There was one once a while ago. A crafting addon. That hard crashed the magic box of this one.

Khajiit only figured this out because the crashes always happened at - or just after - using a crafting station.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • onemoxygirl
    I have had issues with each and every update... and each time I had to check for updates for both the GPU and Windows 10.. there were new updates with each patch!! Personally my launcher wouldn't work at all and I had to run repair SEVERAL times and restart before I was able to get into the game... I really didn't understand why the heck this was happening but it seems my GPU has updated drivers every few days so far!!! It probably is a GPU issues I am guessing?? Have you been able to fix the issue??
  • ACESsiggy
    ACESsiggy
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, thought it was a heat issue but it looks like the game is back freezing my computer. If it continues to do this I'll have to make a switch to WoW. Been playing that game and I haven't had any issues with my pc freezing. Fingers are crossed ESO can help fix the problem.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was having a freezing issue last year and someone told me to delete the ShaderCache file. I now do this regularly and my game doesn't freeze anymore.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    What's the location of that file, I figure it's worth a shot
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psyonico wrote: »
    What's the location of that file, I figure it's worth a shot

\Users\<username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\ShaderCache.cooked
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    Alas, that did not solve my problem, still crashed after about an hour
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Psyonico wrote: »
    Alas, that did not solve my problem, still crashed after about an hour

Deleting the ShaderCache file was not a solution for crashing. It was a possible solution for freezing.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you run any checks on the memory modules, most memory has lifetime warranties but they can develop problems
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, I've run RAM and CPU tests and they came back clean.