The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Zos, can you please explain these forced Ultra High settings?

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do these changes affect PS4?
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PS4 should receive the changes from CWC, but not the graphical changes that come along with the new Xbox. I believe the PS4 Pro received similar changes when it was released.
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • KingJ
    KingJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    br0steen wrote: »
    Give us better FPS & stability on xbox one x, not better graphics.

I believe the fps is capped at 30 still for all xbox games. Am I right?
    Nah certain games run at 60 fps.Some have the option of 1080p with 60fps.If you want to run a game at 4k it locked at 30fps.Personally I will always pick 60fps over 4k.
  • Khrogo
    Khrogo
    ✭✭✭
    How about everyone adopts a wait-and-see approach before jumping to their own conclusions? Like many, I am more interested in performance improvements rather than graphical ones . That said, more eye candy is always welcome. Tomorrow will tell.
  • Aeorath
    Aeorath
    ✭✭✭

PS4 should receive the changes from CWC, but not the graphical changes that come along with the new Xbox. I believe the PS4 Pro received similar changes when it was released.

I would be interested to see any improvement for the PS4 as well from this patch.

*fingers crossed*
  • Azicah
    Azicah
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone in this thread just wants frames that will make the game playable and better. I know many people that quit Xbox ESO because of the frame issues, and if they managed to truly fix the frame issue it will surely attract some players back.

However, I’m still reluctant with letting the X1X run shadows, and better water reflections. I’ll wait perhaps two days to really get a feel of how the X1X performs, and how the regular X1 performs when the CWC patch drops. However, I’m still expecting to see a decrease of performance for several days when the patch goes live.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are they forcing it on original xb1s?

Thtd be catastrophic.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    Will sound work in battles with more than 10 people in Cyrodiil? On PC, which has these "improvements" already, the sound drops out for everyone during these battles now.

Unrelated bug.

Why do people try to conflate issues like this?

"Great, since you changed my oil, I have a flat tire! Great oil change!"

Just sayin'.
    PC-NA
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question! In almost every case on Xbox, the limiting factor is the CPU, not the GPU, as ESO tends to be more on the CPU-intensive side of things, especially in trials. The changes made on the Xbox One X are mostly just GPU-side improvements so that we can make use of all the extra horsepower, which Microsoft gave us a lot of.

For the CPU side of things, we made a big change to our scene graph this patch which is expected to improve CPU performance across the board on all platforms, something that PC players have already noticed when Clockwork City launched. We're continuing efforts on the CPU, which are focused mostly on moving CPU work to the GPU.

For memory, that's something we're constantly trying to improve, because we're well aware that running out of memory is by far the most common issue on Xbox. Something that all platforms are getting with the Clockwork City update is an update to our animation loading system, which on average saves several hundreds of MB of memory compared to pre-Clockwork City, which means that Xbox players especially should see improvements in stability. On the Xbox One X, they give games an extra 4 GB of memory to use, so even with the graphical changes we're making, we have more than enough memory left over that these situations should be greatly improved.

OMG, I'm drowning in awesome sauce. I can't wait to get ESO patched on running on my Xbox 1 X. Now, if only we could revert that CP-BG change...
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • cbdfarm
    cbdfarm
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait for my one X and native 4k HDR :)
    ""Finally, an update for The Elder Scrolls Online is on the way next week that adds native 4K and HDR support (which suggests the other games will offer neither native 4K nor HDR, at least for the time being). Additionally, the view distance has been increased, and water reflections and shadows (with SSAO) have been "upgraded."

The Elder Scrolls Online

Supports Native 4K Resolution and HDR
    Enhanced features include:
    Increased view distance
    Upgraded shadows with Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
    Upgraded water reflections"
    https://gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-x-enhancements-for-skyrim-wolfenstein-2-f/1100-6454709/
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khrogo wrote: »
    How about everyone adopts a wait-and-see approach before jumping to their own conclusions? Like many, I am more interested in performance improvements rather than graphical ones . That said, more eye candy is always welcome. Tomorrow will tell.

Because of impatience. People want stuff and they want it now.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question! In almost every case on Xbox, the limiting factor is the CPU, not the GPU, as ESO tends to be more on the CPU-intensive side of things, especially in trials. The changes made on the Xbox One X are mostly just GPU-side improvements so that we can make use of all the extra horsepower, which Microsoft gave us a lot of.

For the CPU side of things, we made a big change to our scene graph this patch which is expected to improve CPU performance across the board on all platforms, something that PC players have already noticed when Clockwork City launched. We're continuing efforts on the CPU, which are focused mostly on moving CPU work to the GPU.

For memory, that's something we're constantly trying to improve, because we're well aware that running out of memory is by far the most common issue on Xbox. Something that all platforms are getting with the Clockwork City update is an update to our animation loading system, which on average saves several hundreds of MB of memory compared to pre-Clockwork City, which means that Xbox players especially should see improvements in stability. On the Xbox One X, they give games an extra 4 GB of memory to use, so even with the graphical changes we're making, we have more than enough memory left over that these situations should be greatly improved.

Any chance you can give some details in how the graphics or performance will differ on the Xbox One X compared to the PS4 Pro update you guys did last November?

I know it was announced for both that they support native 4k in Elder Scrolls Online but every game I've seen tested on the PS4 Pro against the Xbox One X showed the Pro with a lower dynamic 4k resolution than what was achievable on the Xbox One X. If they are both using native 4k and not upscaling or checkerboarding on the Pro then that would seem to leave room for a higher graphics setting or higher fps on the Xbox One X?
    Edited by Twohothardware on November 6, 2017 11:35PM
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Alex! Some people have concerns over memory, and as this game gets bigger, the more room it will need. I could make a plant metaphor with a seed turning into a sapling--but I'll save that for the Argonians :wink:
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Theyre upping the graphic settings because its the ONE X, not the One. I dont understand the problem here. Do you actually want to play ESO set to potato settings on the brand new powerful console?

If it means clear frames, no incessant game crashes, and I can press abilities and they actually fire off then yes. I would love to play ESO on potato settings on the brand new powerful console. In fact, I would prefer it.

The problem here is that we already have huge memory and lag issues stemming from poor system performance. We upgraded the system, thus those problems should see improvement, yes? But then we massively upgrade GPU requirements as well, now do you see where my concern comes from?

Folks....the Xbox one x isn’t the same Xbox one.

It’s literally a new console that emulates to play Xbox one, Xbox 360 and Xbox back compatability.

That’s literally how the Xbox team described it long ago. That hasn’t changed so the only thing we can do is update tomorrow and see....any other the sky is falling or what was a problem doesn’t apply here.

Hopefully there aren’t too many new issues aside from what’s k own from the PC update we are just going to have to wait and see
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 7, 2017 12:38AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Theyre upping the graphic settings because its the ONE X, not the One. I dont understand the problem here. Do you actually want to play ESO set to potato settings on the brand new powerful console?

If it means clear frames, no incessant game crashes, and I can press abilities and they actually fire off then yes. I would love to play ESO on potato settings on the brand new powerful console. In fact, I would prefer it.

The problem here is that we already have huge memory and lag issues stemming from poor system performance. We upgraded the system, thus those problems should see improvement, yes? But then we massively upgrade GPU requirements as well, now do you see where my concern comes from?

It’s literally a new console that emulates to play Xbox one, Xbox 360 and Xbox back compatability.

That’s literally how the Xbox team described it long ago. That hasn’t changed so the only thing we can do is update tomorrow and see....any other the sky is falling or what was a problem doesn’t apply here.

Hopefully there aren’t too many new issues aside from what’s k own from the PC update we are just going to have to wait and see

Lol. The 1X does not "emulate" XBox One games. That's preposterous.
  • Zorvan
    Zorvan
    ✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

Don't try, console players lack reason and sense and buy into whatever spin is thrown their way. It's why they're console players.
    I've been muted since November 2017 because of the whiny crybabies on this forum and the liberal ZOS employees coddling them.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems the old article from 2016 was updated.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio-will-require-xbox-one-emulation

UPDATE: A Microsoft spokesperson got in touch to say that the job role in question related specifically to emulation for the Xbox 360, rather than the Xbox One. It seems we'll have to wait a little longer to find out more about how games will scale between Xbox One and Project Scorpio.

UPDATE 2: In a back and forth, Microsoft has clarified that while there is "some work" involved to ensure Xbox One games run optimally on Scorpio, it won't require any emulation. One could speculate that Scorpio will feature similar architecture to the Xbox One in this case, albeit with beefed up, 6 TF specs. The original article is as follows.

The idea that Scorpio requires emulation to run Xbox One games confuses the idea of games scaling natively between devices. The emulation layer could simply be for older games that aren't "updated" to the new system Microsoft has cooking for Project Scorpio, which would allow games to scale up and down natively between devices.

If the emulation layer is simply for games that haven't been developed to take advantage of the scaling capabilities between the Xbox One and Project Scorpio, it seems likely that Microsoft will bring the games to Scorpio on behalf of the developers, as seen with the Xbox 360 emulator.

Still, the job listing could also hint to the architectural nature to Project Scorpio. If the new console requires some form of emulation to run all Xbox One games, it could feature a wildly different hardware and software infrastructure than what is present in the current box.

This job listing raises more questions than answers, it could be a long time before we get explanations for these mysteries. I've reached out to Xbox to ask for some clarification, either way!
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 7, 2017 2:13AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a rule of thumb, I expect any mmo to run fine with groups of 10-20 and expect to start seeing a slideshow when the numbers in a battle get into the 50-75 player range, that’s just from past years of experience with a lot of games.

If you are experiencing problems at 10-20 players that’s definitely a problem, and I hope the ZOS employee wasn’t implying we should have to drop hundreds on the Xbox 1x as a solution...
    Edited by Chronicburn on November 7, 2017 2:18AM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at this. this is a fresh pull, it actually becomes worse if we wipe/take longer to get there. Making this happen with outrageous system requirements is very worrisome.
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/DjMuscleboy02/video/37283514

This is what consoleies have to deal with. :D

Boy, that is disgusting.
  • Azicah
    Azicah
    ✭✭✭
    As a rule of thumb, I expect any mmo to run fine with groups of 10-20 and expect to start seeing a slideshow when the numbers in a battle get into the 50-75 player range, that’s just from past years of experience with a lot of games.

If you are experiencing problems at 10-20 players that’s definitely a problem, and I hope the ZOS employee wasn’t implying we should have to drop hundreds on the Xbox 1x as a solution...

Trial players see slide shows frequently. Never mind 50-75 players. At that point they usually completely freeze or their game crashes.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorvan wrote: »

Don't try, console players lack reason and sense and buy into whatever spin is thrown their way. It's why they're console players.

um..? weird. that's not why i'm a console player at all. i educate myself and make an informed decision which games i want to play on PC and which ones i want to play on Xbox. i even manage to play games on PC without a superiority complex! sometimes it seems like i got lucky there...
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I preordered the Xbox one x and will pick it up later today. I am so excited to see the changes and improvements! I really hope I am not disappointed. I know others like me and they are giving eso one last chance to see if the Xbox one x and cwc update really fix things.
  • Kay1
    Kay1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run ESO at 60fps on 1080p on PS4 Pro, I really hope they'll let people do the same thing on XOneX.

I think even 2k is 60 fps on PS4 Pro, 4k is 30fps.

ESO is another game at 60fps, I really feel pity for the people playing with the old consoles
    Edited by Kay1 on November 7, 2017 3:45PM
    K1 The Big Monkey
  • INHUMANENATION
    INHUMANENATION
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if those of us that bought new systems experienced improved gameplay. When I was a pc gamer I used to buy diamond edition games simply because that meant they were popular and populated and my machine would hum. Right now if someone were to buy ESO on the 4 and log into PVP or CWC they would really be disappointed with the choppy play. We add numbers but remove animations, you literally couldn't do more to kill immersion if you tried.

Great work in general. Love the game. Just chill out with maxing out resources and settings.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I haven't been able to say this alot on the topic of longstanding issues, but...

Great job.

On the PC side, a different problem has arisen where every once in a while the game freezes for a second or two. However, it's not remotely bad enough to taint my rating of the performance improvements. Even in PvP, where half a second glitches are too much. It's infrequent enough I just eat the losses.

What I would really like to know is why this took so long. Back in 2014 we were complaining about CPU loading. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought during the first round of offloading to the GPU we were told that there was a technical barrier that ZoS could not overcome and not much more could be shifted. Was it new tech or hiring an awesome coder that was able to go around the barrier?
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7700hq, 4x4gb ddr4, gtx1060 4gb ddr5, game installed on ssd. gig speed ethernet directly to the router.

Have not noticed any improvement in performance whatsoever.

Frame rates, temps and input lag remain completely intact.

• DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif just to give you an update, our frames in raid are exponentially better. Great work! I was skeptical about buying the new Xbox if frames didn't change but even on my One S the frames are upwards of 15-20 in Halls. Which is nowhere near my PC, but much better than last patch.

However, as grateful as I am for frames, we have 3-5 people get stuck in load screens through every door. I've seen lots of posts about it so I'm sure you're aware of the issue. Hope to see it fixed soon. Again, great work with the performance this patch (other than the load screens)!

Edited by DjMuscleboy02 on November 9, 2017 4:56AM
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger