The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The moment I bought a DLC, going ESO Plus was out of the question.

Spiffyriffic
Spiffyriffic
Soul Shriven
When I started ESO, I didn't like the idea of losing content when I unsubscribed. I only wanted the full access everyone else had and didn't value the conveniences. Buying just one DLC is a much smaller commitment to a new game than paying a full MMO subscription right off the bat, yeah? Well, now I work nastier hours at work, and I understand the conveniences of ESO Plus better. Unfortunately, once you buy even ONE DLC, the value of Plus goes WAY down. It's bad enough that a week after I bought Imperial City and Horns of Reach, the 4-pack came out to slap me in the face with a MUCH better deal. Very infuriating. I'm neck deep in waiting for crown sales and trying buy only what I need now. Except for one crown mount because all the horse mounts (and others) are glitched and don't move right...

This system seems a mess and to avoid wasting so much of my money, I'm now stuck unable to justify paying for Plus. A big loss for both the devs and myself.
Edited by Spiffyriffic on October 24, 2017 9:38PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the riding problems you mention are the invisible gopher holes that dot Cyrodiil's plains and hills, I have bad news. Judging from the complaints in my raid, those catch every mount in the game, although horses do seem to have it the worst.
  • Spiffyriffic
    Spiffyriffic
    Soul Shriven
    No, horse mounts sometimes don't sprint right away. Sometimes they gallop for a moment first, but the wolf mounts (and others) sprint correctly more often. Also (this one is big) you can jump and land without drastically slowing down, or run off a ledge and land just fine. I'm not talking about the stupid Cyrodiil gophers, there's a lot of awkward movement coming from horses. Camels too I think, but definitely the Guar (tested on PTS).
    Edited by Spiffyriffic on October 24, 2017 1:51AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'm glad you found a mount that suits you, even though it unfortunately cost crowns.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....Unfortunately, once you buy even ONCE DLC, the value of Plus goes WAY down....
    Unfortunately true.

• Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    If you were only going to buy one mount, probably not the biggest loss to the dev... Read that article about the dude who bought over 1000 crown crates?
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I started ESO, I didn't like the idea of losing content when I unsubscribed. I only wanted the full access everyone else had and didn't value the conveniences. Buying just one DLC is a much smaller commitment to a new game than paying a full MMO subscription right off the bat, yeah? Well, now I work nastier hours at work, and I understand the conveniences of ESO Plus better. Unfortunately, once you buy even ONCE DLC, the value of Plus goes WAY down. It's bad enough that a week after I bought Imperial City and Horns of Reach, the 4-pack came out to slap me in the face with a MUCH better deal. Very infuriating. I'm neck deep in waiting for crown sales and trying buy only what I need now. Except for one crown mount because all the horse mounts (and others) are glitched and don't move right...

This system seems a mess and to avoid wasting so much of my money, I'm now stuck unable to justify paying for Plus. A big loss for both the devs and myself.

The 4-pack has been available since well before Horns of the Reach was released. It's been available for at least a year, if not longer. But, yeah...I purchased Orsinium, TG, and DB at full price and not long after DB, they released the 4-pack. I spent 7000 Crowns on just those three, where I could have gotten them plus IC for less than what I paid. But, everyone who purchased the DLCs as they came out are in that boat.

I purchased them because I had decided to unsub due to issues on XB with ESO Plus. I've since subbed again, because the QOL perks are important to me. If having DLC access is the only reason you sub, then yes, the value would go down. For me, while I wish I hadn't purchased those three DLC packs or had at least waited until the G&G pack came out, there are other reasons that I sub, so ESO Plus still has a lot of value for me.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn’t a well thought out concept. It was a let’s try and keep the sub and give it value because we’re moving to a pay to own model. Some players wanted to keep a sub model and had just been convinced to buy 6-12 months of sub so ZOS had to come up with something.

The eso Plus benefits for some are their argument but what’s funny is they (some of them) will argue that offering those benefits outright removes the value of subscribing.

Oddly enough some seem to want to sub and restrict others from buying outright.

I’ve stopped subscribing as it’s no longer of value to me especially after the Morrowind situation and other ongoing Xbox one issues between ZOS and Xbox.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 24, 2017 8:31PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The things you already bought are sunk costs. It is also absurd that anyone playing since launch and subbing all that time would consider as part of the value of the sub access to Orsinium. That would be like being okay with paying hundreds for Orsinium access. You saved a lot of money not subbing in the past and buying outright, so future subs should be based on the value you get going forward.

And the decreasing price of almost everything is irrelevant to whether people got value when they bought something when it came out.

The reality is that ESO+ is about inventory management. 2 small DLC a year is a minor bonus to someone paying a sub all year.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I subbed the first year then stopped. Never looked back. Never regretted it. Especially after Morrowind came out. Found myself feeling pretty smart because everyone else had to buy it too.

I eventually purchase all in game content and own additional content on some of my extra accounts as well. I'm supporting the game just as much as anyone that subscribes. But if I ever decide to stop buying stuff, at least I get to keep what I already paid for. Subscription stopped = kiss it all goodbye.

Edited by Giraffon on October 24, 2017 8:55PM
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Spiffyriffic
    Spiffyriffic
    Soul Shriven
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    The 4-pack has been available since well before Horns of the Reach was released.

My mistake, got my releases and deals mixed up. I'm basically in the same boat as you on what happened though.
    It'd be nice if they had another cheaper ESO subscription service: one that offered most of the same benefits except for the DLC access. That way people who purchase the DLC still feel okay paying for a subscription.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is a simple fact that buying anything when it is first released will cost you more than waiting for it to go on sale. Sometimes you buy something late in the cycle and it comes on sale shortly after - a risk we all take.

I bought Orsinium and IC not long after I got the game (PS4) and only subbed when the craft bag came out. As a hoarder, a farmer, a trader and a crafter, between the craft bag and the double bank spaces, I am happy to pay this.

If I unsubbed, I would not buy any more of the current DLC's. Apart from skyshards they server no purpose for most of my characters. I even regret buying Morrowind - only 2 of my 12 characters have even been there.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The moment I bought a DLC, going ESO Plus was out of the question...
    Eh.
    Just shows you lack sufficient determination! (or insanity) :p;)

<- Is ESO plus subscribed, and still buys the DLCs, just to support the game!
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you buy crowns at regular price, it's not a bad deal. Sure it's cheaper to buy bulk crown packs, especially when they're on sale. But you get more than just access to DLCs for the money.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to justify ESO plus? 1500 crowns a month justifies it, then on top of that you get the craft bag which in itself is worth my 15 a month and if that wasn't enough you get all the DLCs you don't have and all the bonuses to exp, gold and research timers. Plus you can dye your armor or costumes or both I cant remember I think its only costumes that you can with ESO plus.

EDIT: forgot about double bank space... Oh and did I mention the craft bag cause once you have experienced the craft bag you can not return to not having a craft bag!
    Edited by RABIDxWOLVERINE on October 24, 2017 10:31PM
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to justify ESO plus? 1500 crowns a month justifies it, then on top of that you get the craft bag which in itself is worth my 15 a month and if that wasn't enough you get all the DLCs you don't have and all the bonuses to exp, gold and research timers. Plus you can dye your armor or costumes or both I cant remember I think its only costumes that you can with ESO plus.

EDIT: forgot about double bank space... Oh and did I mention the craft bag cause once you have experienced the craft bag you can not return to not having a craft bag!

I think their point is 1500 crowns doesn’t justify it .....in context the desire is to own DLC not rack up crowns for cosmetic stuff.

At least that was my interpretation
  • mirta000b16_ESO
    mirta000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

it is cheaper to sub than to buy crowns. If I wanted 9000 crowns for example, it's cheaper for me to sub 180 days than it is to buy them outright. So I suppose if you never want to purchase anything, you'll see no value in ESO+.
  • BloodWolfe
    BloodWolfe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, once you buy even ONE DLC, the value of Plus goes WAY down.

Not really, the fact that you get the dollar amount of Crowns with the subscription alone means you're already benefitting with all the other perks (DLC aside since you own some). It's the same as buying 2x 750 crown packs a month or a 1500 Crown pack each month plus the other bonuses (craft bag, housing item limit, etc...). I own the DLC packs (mostly because the collectors packs have the mount and pet that I usually want to buy anyway so for that few extra bucks (300-500 Crowns more than just buying the pet and mount individually) I at least now have the DLC owned if I do let me subscription lapse.

The ESO+ is more about everything else other than the DLC, for me at least... and I assume most. Too each their own though.
  • Spiffyriffic
    Spiffyriffic
    Soul Shriven
    I'm really glad people shared on this thread. I gave Blizzard $15/mo for WoW AND bought every expansion for years. I like ESO more and have only ever bought crowns on sale. It does still feel sort of wasteful to have spent crowns on DLC if I want to support via subscription, but I've made much worse mistakes than that before. The craft bag and bank space are also just... ugh, such a nice offer for someone who plays daily.

Everything else could be thought of as part of the game that I haven't cared to pay access for yet. Yeah something about this system may benefit from some polishing, but I think I'm paying for Plus regardless of buying most DLC already.
    Edited by Spiffyriffic on October 26, 2017 1:36AM
  • Forsakiin
    Forsakiin
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think like this. I bought all of the Imperial City, Shadows of the Hist, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLC individually, so I thought that there'd be no reason for me to become a subscriber. But I realised that paying £10 each month for 1500 crowns and all the ESO+ benefits was still completely worth it for me, since when I was a non-subscriber I would be buying crowns anyway to get things from the store.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO Plus really depends on what you are doing in the game. The game is much larger than it used to be, and people can be doing a lot of different things. It isn't for everyone.

I am a long time ESO Plus subscriber, and I actually own the Thieves Guild DLC. I don't own any of the others. I don't normally do that, but that DLC is the one of the DLCs I would prioritize above all of the others. I don't feel that this diminishes ESO Plus, even a little. For me, ESO PLus value does not come from the DLCs.

The main reason I say that is that ESO Plus contains boatloads of DLC content that I am not using. I don't use Imperial City, Shadows of the Hist, or Horns of the Reach. I might go to Wrothgar once a month, but I am normally content to leave the Orcs to themselves. The only DLCs that I use all the time are Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild. If my ESO Plus depended upon DLC value, I would have stopped long ago and just purchased those two.

(Why didn't I buy Dark Brotherhood when I did buy Thieves Guild? The devs did a wonderful job with Hew's Bane and Abah's Landing. I feel this zone is well outside of "the box" in terms of concept. While they did a wonderful job with Anvil and Kvatch, my feeling is that they phoned it in with the rest of the Gold Coast. Outside of the Sanctuary, the Gold Coast is "flyover" country.)

Why do I still subscribe to ESO Plus? Mainly, it is the month-to-month convenience that it provides. I am almost always leveling a character, so the 10% bonuses are always useful. I am often collecting crafting materials, so the crafting bag is useful. I spend my Crowns on costumes, and I get to color them as I please. The 1500 Crowns/mo is enough to get by on this year.

If they had not added these things to ESO Plus, and had just made it a "free DLC" subscription, I would have already dropped it and just purchased the DLC outright. If DLC is the only reason someone is subscribing to ESO Plus, I can certainly agree that it is a better plan to buy the DLC and skip ESO Plus. (EDIT: Unless you are really into all the DLC content, but even then...)

Edited by Elsonso on October 26, 2017 11:11AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main benefit I can see to not subbing is all that time you save. since without the craft bag and 2x bank space, I'm guessing you never have the option to loot...

*Inventory Full*
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO Plus is good value, if you need one of the elements.

I think of it as £9 a month for 1500 crowns the rest is free. However as a crafted i would pay purely for the crafting bag. So its a must.

For me the DLC access is a buy product. I hear you tho i bought Imp City and Wrothgar and incidentally they are the only DLC i actually like. But my business case on ESO Plus is already proven in other ways so its mega value.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it is cheaper to sub than to buy crowns. If I wanted 9000 crowns for example, it's cheaper for me to sub 180 days than it is to buy them outright. So I suppose if you never want to purchase anything, you'll see no value in ESO+.

@mirta000b16_ESO
    Not sure of the math you’re using but my bank account confirms this is false.
    I own all dlc outright as well as too many other crown cosmetics.

$180/year is the min cost but I’m almost half of that this year. Crowns are $78 for 9,000 and eso plus for 6 months is $90 so....not sure how you came up with that. Also if I buy crowns on sale that’s $40-$50 for 10,000 or $50 -$60 for 14,000

Prior years, just my Xbox one cost to sub to eso plus is $180 not including buying crown so year 1-2 comparing what I spent on PC release vs Xbox one release, the subscription is far more expensive if for 12months. Consider Xbox one also doesn’t offer any subscription discounts as we can only buy 30days at a time.

Math,atically a subscription is a poor monetary value vs buying outright as I play on Xbox one primarily.

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 26, 2017 2:11PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Do people like you completely ignore the existence of crown sales? Because that's the only way I can explain your flawed math.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

Do people like you completely ignore the existence of crown sales? Because that's the only way I can explain your flawed math.

When comparing to the cost of Crowns, the best way to do it is to use the non-Sale cost of the Crowns. Sales happen only occasionally, compared to the regular price, and are not always for the same amount. Even with the regular price, you end up doing a Tetris on different packages, so the simple exchange rate for a Crown is simply 100 Crowns per US Dollar. This sets a maximum, and discounts can then be applied on a case-by-case basis.

A 180 day subscription is US$78, and is never discounted. That is a single purchase action that equates to 7800 Crowns (no discounts) but you get 9000. Through a combination of sales and bulk discounts, you can increase that. Without using sale prices, which are variable, you can get 9250 Crowns (not spending more than $78) by using the proper package discounts (5500 + 3000 + 750) and buying 3 items.

edit for vague wording
    Edited by Elsonso on October 28, 2017 1:58PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Orticia
    Orticia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think ESO+ is worth it even with dlc's bought. But for me that means occasional subbing, not constant. Short version: I cherry pick extra value months.

I bought the 4 dlc package back when I just started out never intending to sub. After that I still subbed: 2 times for a single month.

First time when they gave away up to 5 dwarven crates for being actively subscribed for 5 specific days in a row. I subbed that first day. That was a good deal to me that made me wanna try eso+ for a full month after all. Bank clear with all the stuff gathered all over my bank and alts suddenly went in the craft bag. Nice. I gathered stuff like crazy too that month. And I got 1500 crowns too and some fun stuff with the 5 crown crates. Good deal even with the dlc's already owned I though. Reaped the benefits from that still when ESO+ ended. Granted this month had extra ESO+ value, the 5 crates.

Went without for a while again. Though the craft mats shuffle across characters is a bit annoying it works for me (craft bag is always better ofcourse, but not needed).

Second month sub is ongoing at the moment as it again had extra value. Again instant bank clear, nice.And acces to a new map-content DLC. I started it the day CWC came out. Still 2,5 weeks left. I finished all I wanted in CWC. Will farm it till ESO+ runs out (well dailies atleast). I am also doing the 2 dungeon dlc's in this time when i have the chance to experience them. (hirst and what's it's name). I already decided I don't actually need CWC outright anymore, not enough value left in it for me to buy it outright (mainly due to the terrible furniture (recipes) drop rate). So saving my sub crowns.

And such those 2 month subs give me enough crowns to buy the next map-content DLC instantly if i don't feel like subbing then (not buying just dungeon ones). Or I might sub again for a month to try it out like I did with CWC. And might return to CWC and the dungeon DLC's for a bit then because I can anyway.