The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Some crown store items needs to be removed

Furcula
Furcula
✭✭✭
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that some items in the crown store needs to be removed for good or there needs to be some price adjustments.

The worst offenders are the supply crates, supplies and respecs. Fortifying meal, lethal poison, refreshing drink, repair kits, soul gems and tri restoration potions needs to be removed completely from the store or have their prices reduced drastically by a factor of 10. These are items that can be easily acquired in some form or other from the game and is a trap for new players.

Price of respecs should also be looked at since these can be done through in game gold for very little. Especially when you do gold to crown conversion in comparison to houses, you will find that these items are drastically overpriced. The same concept applies to the bag space upgrades, riding lessons and vampire/werewolf bites, crown motif packs (covenant/dominion/pact races).

tldr: Crown store items should be refined to avoid "trap items" that new players buy not knowing how much waste of money it is/price reduced to better match their actual cost.

• Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you don´t need to buy it, but if others do, so let them...............
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say crown crates are much worse. At least with these you know what you get.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We know that they won't remove the gambling crates. Other games have them too and they seem to be profitable for ZoS.

And even if they remove them, what would happen to these special items that are only obtainable from these crates? I might be a bit incompetent about economical science but my conjectures are:

- they are either discontinued since it's not profitable to maintain a "large" staff for cosmetic items sold to normal prices
    - or they will be continued as time limited offers to astronomical prices

I think it's not optimal either way. Crates, time limited high prices or a full stopp... I don't think they would put those flame atronach bear mounts for in unlimited direct sale for 2k.
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP is more or less right, in at least that ZOS is laughed at by all of us for their pricing, while they are laughing all the way to the bank because their overpriced crap is indeed purchased.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whole Crown Store should be removed, not only some items from it. And bring back required subscription model.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    Whole Crown Store should be removed, not only some items from it. And bring back required subscription model.

I couldnt agree more. WoW has this as well (with a few optional things at the store for a fixed price). Wich is way more preferable then the current model.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »

I couldnt agree more. WoW has this as well (with a few optional things at the store for a fixed price). Wich is way more preferable then the current model.

Yeah they tried that. There wasn't enough people subbing to keep it sustainable. It's not coming back.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phage wrote: »

Yeah they tried that. There wasn't enough people subbing to keep it sustainable. It's not coming back.

WoW has a subscription-flex model now with their sub tokens, they realized that some people have more money than time, just as some other people have more time than money. It makes sense to me, though it may be difficult to quantify the success of the model itself.
    Edited by Urza1234 on October 30, 2017 8:27AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an odd thread? Why would ZOS do that? It's a revenue stream, and most will learn quickly that they aren't that strong.

But a nom crafting solo player might be happy to blow their wad repeatedly who knows!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urza1234 wrote: »

WoW has a subscription-flex model now with their sub tokens, they realized that some people have more money than time, just as some other people have more time than money. It makes sense to me, though it may be difficult to quantify the success of the model itself.

You guys keep mentioning WOW. ESO is nothing like WOW. Thank Vivec for that.

ZOS tried the subscription model - it wasn't working for this game and its playerbase (for many reasons that I've said before, but I won't get into here). So they adapted.

They're not going back. Subscription is now just supplemental revenue. The real cash stream is the Crown Store and Crown Crates. The only way ZOS would be willing to burn that bridge is if it stopped generating revenue - which by all accounts isn't going to happen anytime soon. People love making it rain with those Apex mounts.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭

ZOS tried the subscription model - it wasn't working for this game and its playerbase (for many reasons that I've said before, but I won't get into here). So they adapted.

They're not going back. Subscription is now just supplemental revenue. The real cash stream is the Crown Store and Crown Crates. The only way ZOS would be willing to burn that bridge is if it stopped generating revenue - which by all accounts isn't going to happen anytime soon. People love making it rain with those Apex mounts.

Wow I guess comparing revenue generation across MMOs is now taboo. Some people find different business strategies interesting but if its not the strat that ZOS is pursuing right now I guess its anathema.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I guess comparing revenue generation across MMOs is now taboo. Some people find different business strategies interesting but if its not the strat that ZOS is pursuing right now I guess its anathema.

Nah its not taboo, but it is moot. Blizzard chooses to fund their game one way, ZOS chose a different way. That's just life.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, guess why?
    Maybe if better developers would lead this game, more customers would like to pay for a good quality product.

What we have instead?
    Bunch of incompetent people who release broken content, then refuse to fix mentioned content, people who change their mind every 3-6 months about the game and then modify all classes, skills and CPs over and over.

Customers simply don't want to pay for such an unstable product.
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be the dream, but sadly I don't see it ever happening. The crown store probably bring in a lot of cash, especially from big spenders.
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, guess why?
    Maybe if better developers would lead this game, more customers would like to pay for a good quality product.

What we have instead?
    Bunch of incompetent people who release broken content, then refuse to fix mentioned content, people who change their mind every 3-6 months about the game and then modify all classes, skills and CPs over and over.

thats a good way to get your forum post moderated
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, guess why?

What we have instead?

You're preaching to the choir here. I was around for the failure of the subscription model. This games beta and release were the worst of any MMO I've ever seen, and it was reflected in their subscription numbers. Games come a long way since then, but there are still legitimate complaints and problems. I just don't think there's any going back to the old subscription model at this point. Too many players would stop playing if the game ever went back to mandatory subs.
    PC-NA Goat
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The crown store gives big spenders an opportunity to spend big on ESO. And why not? It's entirely optional.

Getting rid of the crown store, or any part of it, would reduce the amount of income ZOS is able to generate from players who want to contribute more than the value of their subscription to the game.

A mandatory subscription model gives people no choice about how much money they can put into the game. It would certainly drive a lot of the more casual players away.

I'm glad none of you anti-crown store, anti-crown crate people are running this game. It would soon go bust.
    PC EU
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skimpy costume outfits 5000 CROWNS a piece.

STZTLZZ.gif
    PC
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

because they had an abysmal release and they got burned for it
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »
    Problem is that they are an trap for new players who don't know the price level.
    They find out later and feel cheated.
    This is consumables and the standard motifs. You don't sell stuff costing 100 gold for 100 crowns.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mandatory subscription model gives people no choice about how much money they can put into the game. It would certainly drive a lot of the more casual players away.
    I'm glad none of you anti-crown store, anti-crown crate people are running this game. It would soon go bust.
    This. So much this.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crown store gives big spenders an opportunity to spend big on ESO. And why not? It's entirely optional.

Getting rid of the crown store, or any part of it, would reduce the amount of income ZOS is able to generate from players who want to contribute more than the value of their subscription to the game.

Let's be clear here.

Most people are fine with a Crown Store, they just want to not feel like they're being taken as smucks by whoever is pricing and marketing the store.

Players are more than happy to buy items at good prices and on a "what you see is what you get" system but Zenimax/ZOS are trying to maximise the income with loot boxes and now non-gem exclusive items hidden in them. There is a lot of vocal resentment coming out from gaming fans currently towards shady marketing pushes, many of us just ask for a little respect as customers.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is disheartening to see so many threads made by players advising ZOS to remove this nerf that.
    Give ZOS some credit for knowing what they are doing and if a change they make makes a negative impact on their revenue stream they will "adapt or die".

Makes me miss the days when games came on disks and cartridges and you played what you got or moved on if you didn't like it.
    Well I don't miss that as much.

Point is these forums are becoming a drag with the constant negative tones.
    Sorry OP I didn't mean to pick your thread to rant but it just happened.
  • Belyar
    Belyar
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by trap for new players? If they are stupid enough to even consider buying them, then they deserve to get ripped off.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I was trapped with such items when I was noob, and any other noobs should be trapped. This is the price of being noob.
    (I have bought cheap crafting motifs like daedric and barbaric from crown store, shame on me)
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

Let's be clear here.

Most people are fine with a Crown Store, they just want to not feel like they're being taken as smucks by whoever is pricing and marketing the store.

Players are more than happy to buy items at good prices and on a "what you see is what you get" system but Zenimax/ZOS are trying to maximise the income ]with loot boxes and now non-gem exclusive items hidden in them. There is a lot of vocal resentment coming out from gaming fans currently towards shady marketing pushes, many of us just ask for a little respect as customers.

More income = better game.

Less income not only means a worse game, it would probably put the game into a spiral of losing players => losing income => even worse game => losing more players and so on, culminating in no game at all.

ESO is a commercial enterprise. I know it's a cliché, but the bottom line really is the bottom line.

The MMO market is extremely competitive. Producers have to keep investing in new content to keep up with their rivals and keep their games alive. The money has to come from somewhere. You can't run this kind of real-life business on ethical niceties.

If players really want ESO to be a better game then first and foremost they need to buy more of whatever the company is offering for sale. All other considerations are secondary at best.

Of course, from the Devs' point of view - jobs, livelihoods, medical plans, money to pay for kids' schooling - these are the things that are really important. To you and me this is just a game. For others, it is their real life.

So, for all our sakes, please stop talking down the company and its product in such harsh terms just because of some trivial gripes you might have about their marketing strategy. I know this is the internet, and that hyperbole is the fashion, but come on, get real. People take notice of what you are saying. Your words have effect.

PC EU
  • Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't speak for WoW's system totally. But it seems to make sense in that the system automatically adjusts based on demand. As long as gold is useful for things, people will buy the tokens for them.

But in EQ, Kronos were sustaining entire expansions. I knew of at least a few dozen people who had 200+ of them. That's the equivalent of 24 players equaling over 5k subs. They didn't buy the kronos themselves, they accumulated them over time through buying, selling, and trading.

Though to be honest, Kronos vs WoW Tokens, I'd prefer to see Tokens. Kronos ruin markets as they can be traded and hoarded. In EQ, items stopped being traded for platinum and only went for Kronos. That doesn't happen with WoW tokens as they can only be redeemed for game time or traded on the AH for gold.
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Problem is that they are an trap for new players who don't know the price level.
    This is consumables and the standard motifs. You don't sell stuff costing 100 gold for 100 crowns.

@zaria
    That's the thing. New players should do their homework. We are all consumers and it should be our own responsibility to make our purchases, whether with or without informed decision.

Look at it this way, many people out there in real life bought something while they can get better items somewhere else for cheaper. Same rule applies here - if new consumers don't do their homework or be informed, then do a crown store purchase - that's their perogative.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qyrk wrote: »

@zaria
    That's the thing. New players should do their homework. We are all consumers and it should be our own responsibility to make our purchases, whether with or without informed decision.

Look at it this way, many people out there in real life bought something while they can get better items somewhere else for cheaper. Same rule applies here - if new consumers don't do their homework or be informed, then do a crown store purchase - that's their perogative.
    That is true no rules against exploiting ignorance, its quite legal to sell pumpkins for 3K each in zone, even if they cost 250 something at npc trader and most would give free to guild members.

On the other hand ZoS is in for the long haul then you don't want to scam people.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qyrk wrote: »

@zaria

That is true no rules against exploiting ignorance, its quite legal to sell pumpkins for 3K each in zone, even if they cost 250 something at npc trader and most would give free to guild members.

On the other hand ZoS is in for the long haul then you don't want to scam people.

These consumable items can be received early on and anyone with a basic common sense will realise that consumables are available in the game. ZOS even points out as part that 'Consumables, or single-use items', are potions, food and drink that can be found, purchased or crafted'. For any new players that ignores the readily availability of consumables in-game, and/or avoids to seek information on how to receive these consumables in-game, then I don't feel one bit sorry for them if they purchase these items in the Crown Store. I agree with you and many people that it is overpriced, but to put blame on ZOS because of player's ignorance and lack of ownership is a bit harsh to be honest.