The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The first loading screen after EVERY game patch

Caligamy_ESO
Caligamy_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I am looking for solutions, or reasons to a very annoying ...bug? That seems to only happen on the very first loading screen to access the character selection screen, and it only occurs one time.. immediately following a game patch. The last patch I let it sit for an hour, seemingly doing nothing while I browsed the forums and periodically (ritualistically) wiggled my mouse around on it to keep from getting booted for inactivity. At the 60 minute mark I Alt + F4'd it out of frustration and reloaded the game client, and it loaded up in about 30 seconds and didn't repeat after that.

This is what happens every single time there is a game patch and there seems to be absolutely no resolution or reason to it. Out of the 30~40 PC games on this computer this is the only one that has any sort of problems. Anyone else experience this annoyance or know what could be causing it? I guess I should also note PTS does not do this, and just boots right up without any issue.
love is love
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I forgot to mention this problem first surface in December of 2016 and has been repeated without fail every time I patch ESO.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/306316/cant-login-to-the-game#latest
    love is love
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing you can do about it. It shouldn't last 60 minutes though
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me too every time, what always fixes it is if I let it start loading for a minute and then restart the client, and it starts loading up at the usual speed.
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first loading screen after EVERY game patch is most likely unpacking resources, caching shaders, i.e. intended. Its duration depends on the quality of graphics and the power of your PC.

Another question is that this can not last an hour. Sometimes (only sometimes) there can actually be such a bug. But if this happens all the time, then look for the problem on your side.

Have a nice day :)
    Everything is viable
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only take a minute or two for me after a patch. Which is longer than normal but not by that much.
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only takes around a minute on my pc I have now but on my older one it was around 5 minutes.
  • jbjondeaueb17_ESO
    jbjondeaueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could also be antivirus software checking files because they were updated.
    Pain-Healer - Argonian Templar Healer (EP) - Immortal Redeemer - Gryphon's Heart
    Guild : Ghosts and Goblins Target Dummies
    Players know me as Jeban
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually longer, but after 5 min, I restart and that usually fixes/resets/does something good.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So was trying this for two hours today. Turns out I needed to repair and was fixed. I have a hunch thou that what is causing might have something to leaving the download over night or download before restarting. But yes something been off since hotr.
  • ShadowDisciple
    ShadowDisciple
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do this everytime.
    I leave it loading for 2min. Then Alt f4 and restart game. Then it works. Every patch. Annoying but not really a big deal
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the first loading screen is 2-3x times longer, but with a good internetconnection you dont need to wait so much time. I really dont know the reason for, but at the start of TESO i dont had this good connection and needed to wait 10min sometimes to log into the game...
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Grall
    Grall
    Soul Shriven
    I've found that if the game loses focus while loading (by alt-tabbing or clicking elsewhere in a dual-screen situation), it never makes it to the character selection screen. It just sits there forever.

Next patch, try just leaving it for a few minutes without clicking and see if it loads properly for you.

Regarding the long load time after patch, my guess is it's checking the game files for consistency. This would explain why if you alt-F4 and start again, the game loads normally. You're just bypassing the consistency check.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    load screens are BAD today, like cyrodil-at-its-worst level bad, just navigating grahtwood. :/
  • Reclaire
    Reclaire
    I ran as admin, and it fixed the endless initial load screen
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother leaving it an hour; the game has obviously fallen over. I get it too after every patch. Just let it run 5 mins and then shut all of eso down, then start again. Works for me.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh just let it load. the first one after a patch is always the longest. Then you have to wait for master merchant to calculate all your sales, then you have to wait for other players to load into your screen LOOOOOOOOOOL
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loading screen from login to character select always take the approximate same amount of time for me, regardless of being after patch or not. So luckily this is one bug I am not affected by.