The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Warden Bear

johnIV
johnIV
Hello, I played ESO briefly when it first released. I have never done any end game content at all. But I have been looking at all the updates, and I am very impressed at how much content the game keeps coming out with.

I am most interested in the new class. Watching the trailers I assumed it was a druid pet class. All of the builds I have been looking at say the bear sucks. Is it true that the bear is crap? I was very excited to run around with a huge bear companion bear slapping everything. But I do like to have the optimal build while leveling, doing dungeons, or even PvP.

Is the bear just not optimal at this time, and do you see it getting any kind of buffs in the future?
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    It can get cheesy in duels even though i dnt have a problem going up agaisnt one and in cyrodiil it can easily loose control when facing multiple players
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only downside the bear has is that you have to slot it on both bars. Besides that, it's actually a very strong ultimate

It's been buffed a lot with the latest update to make it more reliable
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the best ult if you are soloing dungeons or WBs. He will tank the boss while you will dps him. Just heal it from time to time.

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad they increased the HP of the bear with last patch too... and additional 5000 health is definitely useful.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main Toon is a Khajiit NB but his Father is a Khajiit Warden. He is Lvl40 and has my mains cp418. I love the Bear but he has his own mind and lvl up is a joy. I changed at lvl30 from a standard warden to a mag one and just loving it. But it's hard work
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnIV wrote: »
    Hello, I played ESO briefly when it first released. I have never done any end game content at all. But I have been looking at all the updates, and I am very impressed at how much content the game keeps coming out with.

I am most interested in the new class. Watching the trailers I assumed it was a druid pet class. All of the builds I have been looking at say the bear sucks. Is it true that the bear is crap? I was very excited to run around with a huge bear companion bear slapping everything. But I do like to have the optimal build while leveling, doing dungeons, or even PvP.

Is the bear just not optimal at this time, and do you see it getting any kind of buffs in the future?

As much as anyone wants to hit the "agree" button on your first statement on content, I'll have you know the bear (since to still) is indeed crap.

I share the same feelings for your excitement, still do and argue to this day to see changes.

Unfortunately I doubt this will change, it would have by now with feedback given.
  • Chloekins24
    Chloekins24
    Soul Shriven
    I love the bear, and just morphed it into Wild Guardian, which is great because it does more physical damage.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bear does great damage to a single stationary target. If the target is moving it will waste most of its time running around. If there are multiple targets, it will waste most of its time moving between them (following your heavy attacks, or switching targets when each one dies). This is the main reason why warden damage looks decent on a target dummy, but suffers in most other content.

The bear also dies very easily, and unlike sorcerer pets there is no way to shield it, it can only be healed and healing can be unreliable (I think heals prioritize players over pets, which is probably a good thing, but leads to pets dying).

I will say that the bear got a nice buff in today's patch, and can now be used in the trials MoL and HRC. Hopefully this trend will continue and we will be able to use pets reliably in AA and SO soon.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 30, 2017 3:52PM