Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help the layman here - materials

duendology
duendology
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it possible to farm low level crafting materials while you 50/160? Or am I forever stuck with Ancestor Silk/alike...and can obtain low level materials only by deconstructing or buying from guilds? :open_mouth:

Also, is it worthy to do the crafting writs as 50/160? It takes LOTS OF ancestor silk to craft the armor..Instead, I could just keep the material to make a nice gear for my other characters. :)
PC/NA
- Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
- Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
- Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
And..
- High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your characters will always farm two types of materials from a resource node. One type is determined by that characters level. This a level 3 will get iron and a c160+ gets rubedite. The second type is determined by your rank in that craft skill, determined by how many points you’ve spent in the first passive. So a c160 character who has never leveled smithing should see rubedite because they’re c160, but also some iron.

You can sort of farm lower level materials this way...by setting the rank where you want it to get the mats you want...although it’s a pain in the butt.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, random lower level mats will drop from crafting writ rewards when you don't get a survey report.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys.
    "Unfortunately", I am rank 10 both in woodworking and clothing..so it looks like I can get low crafting materials only by deconstruction or obtaining it from guildstores.
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..

• Darethran
    Darethran
    ✭✭✭
    If you REALLY want to harvest the lower end mats, you can reset all your skill points at one of the shrines.
    In Scotland | @Darethran

[EU] Ervona Saranith (EP) - Lvl 50 CP >560 - Dunmer Healer
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I could do that but a) it costs a lot, b) resets ALL the skill points so then you must sort out ALL THE points. ;P I'd do that if the game offered the choice which skill lines we want to reset and charge for that accordingly. ;)
    PC/NA
    And..

• gobgrot
    gobgrot
    ✭✭
    Do what I did as I leveled. As a new player I was limited in what I could do to make gold. So I farmed. I found that low level mats generally sold for more than the mid range ones so I made an alt just to farm with. After over a month of farming that alt is still only lvl 8 and bringing in a lot of gold for me.
    PC NA
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duendology wrote: »
    Thanks, guys.
    "Unfortunately", I am rank 10 both in woodworking and clothing..so it looks like I can get low crafting materials only by deconstruction or obtaining it from guildstores.

No, doing your daily crafting writs will net you lower level materials everyday you don't get a survey. Not entirely sure why you would need/want lower level mats. Also when doing your daily writs, do them at CP150, that is the version that takes 13-15 ancestor silk or rubeo leather and not at CP160, the version that takes 130-150 of the material. I hope this helps.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys.

Just a heads up. At CP160+, all the gear you get will be top-tier material based as well, so deconstructing them will not give you lower-tier stuff. The one exception to this is, some stolen or 0-value items will be voidsteel/voidcloth, so you might be able to get some of those, otherwise you're going to be hard-pressed to find any.

On a side note; most people don't level the crafting passives all the way up on every character they have. You can always farm on one of your alts that has lower skilled crafting. Assuming you have the crafting bag, all material collected will then be available to your main crafter.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to make cp160 level items. As long as the item is made with ruby level mats, its fine.

Suggestion; make an alt and level the skills as much as you need to in order to find the mats you want. I have two main crafters who will never see anything but ruby level mats again. I have 12 other characters who will find iron, steel, orichalcum, ebony and everything else in between.

For the people who want to know why I would need low level mats; I craft for my guilds. As a "service to the guild" type of thing I will make any gear under cp160 for free, without asking for mats. [unless the person wants nirnhoned, then they have to give me the nirncrux] For gear cp160 level, they have to give me the mats.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I could do that but a) it costs a lot, b) resets ALL the skill points so then you must sort out ALL THE points. ;P I'd do that if the game offered the choice which skill lines we want to reset and charge for that accordingly. ;)

Just role a Mule. Most farming can be done with little to no combat. So, this character does not need to level or have much in the way of gear.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions, Guys! Much much helpful! :)

I had/have this "cunning" plan to make one of my characters a Jack-if-all-Trades aka mainly a crafter (clothing/woodworking/blacksmithing) so she could craft gear for my other two characters also maybe join crafting guilds. I stumbled upon a problem though, or two..a) I can farm only for 50/160 level materials (so I either had to buy low level ones from guildstores or were lucky to get from deconstructing low level items of my other characters.)
    I've been also levelling up enchanting so I could create glyphs myself. Still it will take time before I'd be able to craft gear sets though...researching takes a loooooooooong time...even with three slots available.

Again, thank you, thank you!
    PC/NA
    And..

• Reclaire
    Reclaire
    Thanks, guys.

You also get lower level mats from turning in writs, like almost every time. You accumulate a lot in a short time.
    Also writs are 150 NOT 160!!!