The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New ideas for acquiring motifs

Feric51
Feric51
✭✭✭✭✭
I started replying to a thread in general discussion, that was (loosely) on this subject, but felt it would be better served here. I'm pasting my response below, and would gladly accept any feedback. Though I'd appreciate criticism to be constructive... pipe dream, I know. lol
Vimora wrote: »
The only reason crafting motifs are farmed is because of some weird OCD completionism that is totally POINTLESS.

This may have been true prior to Morrowind, but with the advent of Master Writs, and the writ vouchers, suddenly motif knowledge became a much more integral part of being a "Master Crafter." Now, whether the amount of complete motifs your crafter knows actually has an appreciable effect on your chance for master writs may be up for debate, but we were expressly told by ZOS that it does. So that is enough, in many folks' eyes, to drive them to acquire all the new motifs as they come out.

I don't see why there couldn't be a better way to implement some of the motifs into less grind-worthy feats. I can think of three possible solutions that might make motif farming less of a chore, and more accessible to those who aren't able to complete some of the requirements necessary to get them. I will preface these suggestions by stating that I have a full 9-trait crafter with every motif known that was released pre-Morrowind. Since then I've stepped back a bit on crafting and haven't focused on finding/buying the newest releases, so I'm not looking for a personal "easy-mode," or whining because I think it's took hard.

Idea #1: Make a greater number of them purchasable by in-game currency. We already have this with Ebony and Akaviri motifs. (Writ vouchers / Alliance Points) I haven't seen the markets for these motifs crash yet, and they seem to walk the line between difficult, but not too difficult to get. I could see this being done with a combination of some of the easier-to-get motifs (mercenary, assassin's league, Ra Gada, Ashlander) being sold for in-game gold. AP, tel var, and writ vouchers could also be in-game currency utilized, with each currency having it's own distinct range of motifs. This could appease both PvE- and PvP-centric players, and allow them to be sold in guild traders so people who don't PvP can buy AP-restricted motifs, and vice versa.

Idea #2: Instead of "glass" motif fragments dropping as writ rewards, just do "motif fragment". Then you can have the mystics sell resins for each purple style motif. Prices for the individual resins can be priced accordingly, and you could also require more/less fragments depending on the style you need. (Ex. 10 fragments for glass, 4 fragments for mercenary, and 50 fragments for buoyant armiger). As with the glass motif system, the specific weapon/body piece chapter awarded would still be RNG.

Idea #3: Have motif chapters from all motifs drop randomly in chests. This occurs to some degree already, often with extremely low RNG, but some styles are only available by completing dungeons, trials, battlegrounds, etc. This could theoretically add ALL motifs to chest loot. You could make this specific by alliance area, DLC, etc. But having more of them available in chests would allow people access to say... Dro'Mathra, without needing to run Maw.

Again, these are just a few ideas that seem easy enough for ZOS to implement. I'm not saying I advocate for any particular one, or that they're necessarily the best solution. They are just food for thought. My personal choice would be Idea #2, since that directly rewards crafters who are doing writs, while at the same time requiring fragments that aren't the easiest thing in the world to get, but not the most difficult either. This would also allow a secondary market for people who want to sell the fragments as is, without buying the resin to morph them.

Anyway, any feedback is appreciated on this.

Thanks
Feric51
Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    I think these are all great ideas, especially since Master Writs have encouraged people to level crafting skills in different characters for a higher chance of getting a Master Writ. Before, people (like me) might only have collected each motif once, only on one character, which makes sense if you only had one character who did all your crafting. Now, more crafters = more writ vouchers, so I too believe that motifs should become more readily available to be provided for those leveling crafting skills in their alts.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of great points, @Feric51 ... most of which I agree with.

So, I’ll just add a few comments that I think are worth mentioning:

In addition to your ideas, rewarding harder to get achievements and quests could be in the game a lot more.

As you might recall, players can obtain the Soul Shriven motif for completing Cadwell’s Silver. There’s not much incentive for completing Cadwell’s Gold, however, except for the skill points. It’s a very long quest ... why not give a unique motif as a reward there as well? Other quests, such as the Main Quest or completing the compendium of all DLC questlines, could reward a motif as well.

Achievements?

vMA, the toughest solo content in the game, could offer a motif upon first complete per character.

Some of the challenging crafting achievements, such as grandmaster node harvester, could offer some sort of crafting-themed motif.

There aren’t enough rewards for PvP Alliance rank ... so maybe when a character reaches a certain rank (open for discussion) they can get a motif in addition to a skill point and dye.

Explorer, Tamriel Hero, Dro-m’athra Destroyer, and Legerdemain skill 20 are examples of other achievements that could be used.

Now, your points:

Idea #1 - Pretty much agree there are not enough unique motifs sold for vouchers, AP, and especially not tel var. The style vendor in the IC home base currently sells only basic racial trait stones. Why not use this vendor to sell a unique tel var themed motif?

I don’t think motifs should be sold in gold ... the market would immediately become saturated and the resale value for enterprising players would not exist as soon as it goes Live. The Art Team works too hard on the detail of these to be worthless.

Idea #2

As you alluded to, the system of using merethic resin to produce glass motifs is currently “fubar” ... due to the 10k cost of the resin being worth more than the finished glass motif itself.

I think your idea might make it too accessible for players, however ... and your proposal for buying “motif fragments” is again in gold which players have ample supply of.

Still, it’s an idea worth considering. Maybe limit this type of transaction to special in-game events. Remember the Jester’s Event dropped random motif pages during its run ... which was really nice.

Idea #3

(... will respond to these two after work ...)

Edited by Taleof2Cities on October 28, 2017 3:54AM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think motifs should be sold in gold ... the market would immediately become saturated and the resale value for enterprising players would not exist as soon as it goes Live.

Not if these were bound upon purchase.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+