The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Enough with crown store exclusives

SGT_Wolfe101st
SGT_Wolfe101st
✭✭✭✭✭
I want to start by saying I truly love this game. I played Skyrim for 1000's of hours, the lore, the story, the quests, I couldn't wait for the launch, I adore this game. With that said this crown store exclusive content is ruining this game. Between furniture, homes, crates, mounts, motifs, etc, so much of this game is locked behind crowns. I understand that development costs money and resources, but to offer things that cannot be obtained in game via quests, achievements, or gold is starting to wear thin. I subscribe and have for over 2 years, as have many.

The most recent DLC comes with a home that cannot be obtained with gold, furniture that has drop rates of those worse than HoR and/or Marrowind. Owning the DLC, supporting the developer with ESO+ or purchasing the DLC should be enough.

We can do something about this. Stop buying crowns, stop buying crates, stop spending real world currency on in game purchases. I have no issue with the option to obtain via real world currency or via in game grind. But this Crown Store Only business model is unfair and shows nothing but greed. Countless threads on this and other forums discussing the numerous issues with nearly every aspect of the game with little to no response. But we get weekly updates to the crown store. New Mounts, motifs, homes, etc, etc. If they can't make money on it, well then it doesn't matter. Give me a reason to play and I will, give me something to grind for and I will, reduce my dedication to the amount of real world money I am willing to spend and I wont spend any.

ESO fans and players, lets show ZOS how we feel, for the betterment of the game and the community. Let's make November, No Crowns November, show them that we do have a voice and that we aren't willing to continue down this path.
PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
Nord - MagDK - Tank
High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't seem to understand how a business works. They need to make more money than just what they can pay their employees to do minimal work.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »
    You don't seem to understand how a business works. They need to make more money than just what they can pay their employees to do minimal work.

Please save this response, ZOS is making plenty of money, nor did I say that they have no right to make money in a free enterprise, but this exclusivity is wrong. Allow those with the income or desire to buy all they want, just allow those that would choose not to still be able to enjoy all of the game. Many support the developer, but $50-60 or more depending on where you live for an item that is only available if you have the DLC is over the line. Plus crates, furniture, etc, etc. Keep in mind most of these items are already in the game, the "effort" to create has been bought and paid for many times over. HHH is the guild hall, most houses are copy and pastes, as are the furniture patterns, as are the motifs. What ever resources were needed have been covered.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the crates. I'm a subscriber and buy plenty of items directly from the crown store. In fact, I have plenty of crowns just waiting to buy a palomino horse from the crown store someday. . . but I'm not now (or ever) gonna throw crowns at mystery boxes full of nothing but hope and who knows what. In fact there are plenty of items hidden in crown crates only that I'd be happy to buy straight up but, again, not buyin' crates. Not ever.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to corporate 'murica. It's not about making money, it's about making ALL the money.

Marketing people have been doing tricks like limited time for years, there is a reason they keep doing them as well, it works.

Sure you can plead for ethical and respectful treatment as a consumer and hope that ZOS change their ways, however somehow I feel the people who read these forums are not the ones who drive that side of the business.
    Edited by Turelus on October 25, 2017 6:06PM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS is making plenty of money.

How could you have the foggiest idea of what aspects of their business model make them profitable? For all you know, it very well is these "exclusive items".

Trust me, I don't necessarily like it any more than you do. As a guy that wants all the costumes and many other nice things, I absolutely feel the pain. But the other side of that is that I realize it contributes to the game's profitability, which is one of the reasons ZOS is continuously pumping out content for the game every quarter.

That is something you see with no other MMOs.

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not forced to buy them. If you don't want to spend crowns on such things then don't.
    While you don't agree with it, there's a lot of people who don't mind spending crowns. What else people gonna spend their crowns on?
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    You're not forced to buy them. If you don't want to spend crowns on such things then don't.
    While you don't agree with it, there's a lot of people who don't mind spending crowns. What else people gonna spend their crowns on?
    Consumables. :trollface:
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How could you have the foggiest idea of what aspects of their business model make them profitable? For all you know, it very well is these "exclusive items".

Trust me, I don't necessarily like it any more than you do. As a guy that wants all the costumes and many other nice things, I absolutely feel the pain. But the other side of that is that I realize it contributes to the game's profitability, which is one of the reasons ZOS is continuously pumping out content for the game every quarter.

Based on the earnings of a publicly traded company and the sales of the chapter, ESO+, etc, I would presume that they are making plenty of money. Again, I understand every company is in the business they are in to turn a profit, my issue is with the direction we are going. Buy it from the Crown Store or don't have it. That is not okay IMO. Having ESO+ isn't much of an incentive to ZOS anymore. Buy Crowns or do without. Based on the forums it wouldn't appear I am alone in this belief.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I am frustrated with not being able to buy everything with gold, these are items I don't actually need. I simply don't buy them because I don't have that kind of money to spend. You shouldn't berate others what they do with their money, however, if they have all their responsibilities in order.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you but I'm a skeptical hypocrite that recently re-subbed, so I get some 'free' ones and to be honest some cosmetic items I would buy I don't simply because of their appearance.

BDO is the same, which i went to back to briefly of late, they don't have a sub' as such but more that playing without buying is so gimping that you eventually have to. They call them x day value packs there is also a lot of things that require purchase to relieve some of the other frustrating aspects of that game. Now they argue you can get the same from playing normally so its not pay to win, but you talking items that save your in game gold, increase your drop rate, fix broken enchanted gear and getting those in game is as rng hell as eso and dedicated grind on grind. Even their purchasable costumes have a buff attached that would be silly to ignore, if you're serious.

I don't agree with the model (sub is fine) Not sure there isn't an mmo out there that does't gather capital via stores somehow.

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the earnings of a publicly traded company and the sales of the chapter, ESO+, etc, I would presume that they are making plenty of money. Again, I understand every company is in the business they are in to turn a profit, my issue is with the direction we are going. Buy it from the Crown Store or don't have it. That is not okay IMO. Having ESO+ isn't much of an incentive to ZOS anymore. Buy Crowns or do without. Based on the forums it wouldn't appear I am alone in this belief.
    You're not alone in it, but you're also trying to fight years of this building in the gaming industry. Jim Sterling has been doing a fantastic job the last weeks showing off just how bad some of the sleaze is.

However you have to understand rarely is it the games developers (ZOS) who are the ones making these choices, more often it's the publishers or parent companies (Zenimax Media Inc.) who push them do do so because of stake holders, share holders, boards of directors and all that jazz.

I'm not saying that's the case with ESO as I don't know the relationship or structure of the company, but seeing as Bethesda also started down some questionable routes recently I would say it might be the mummy corp.

Edit: Today's video actually covers a lot of why this isn't going to change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZYIYiUyxA
    Edited by Turelus on October 25, 2017 6:20PM
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well my point is that you are ever increasingly "forced" to buy them, if you want the items that are gated behind the crown store model. As I stated, have the store, put whatever sells in there, cater to those that don't mind, however, give those that choose not to an opportunity to earn it in game. My suggestion to not purchase anything crown related would send some sort of a message to ZOS.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well my point is that you are ever increasingly "forced" to buy them, if you want the items that are gated behind the crown store model. As I stated, have the store, put whatever sells in there, cater to those that don't mind, however, give those that choose not to an opportunity to earn it in game. My suggestion to not purchase anything crown related would send some sort of a message to ZOS.

Good luck with your campaign, especially since the majority of the player base will never hear it.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It won't send a message though because you're not their target audience. The people who spend big money are, see the thread about 1000+ crates purchased.
  • Pwnyridah
    Pwnyridah
    ✭✭✭
    Learn to live without or pay for the items they spent time developing. You want the items but won't pay...this seems silly to me.

(Rides away on Plague husk mount ;)
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pwnyridah wrote: »
    Learn to live without or pay for the items they spent time developing. You want the items but won't pay...this seems silly to me.

(Rides away on Plague husk mount ;)

So that is honestly the solution you propose. Like it or to hell with you? Perhaps I was wrong, I honestly thought the community as a whole felt differently. Fair enough.

(Rides away on Sorrel Horse)
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree! Down with The Man!

- hides his Vitrine Dwarven Wolf-
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point, again, is that I'd spend more crowns if I could get exactly the items I want. I buy lots of things from the crown store straight up where I plop down my crowns and I get exactly what I want. I just refuse to plop down crowns for unknown content. Items that are ONLY in crown crates earn zero crowns from me.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • MaddPowered
    MaddPowered
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see people complaining about Mountain Dew coming out with a limited edition flavour. So why are you complaining when there is a limited edition VIRTUAL ITEM
    World's First Planesbreaker
    World's First Bugged Planesbreaker
    World's First Dawnbringer
    World's Third Godslayer
    World's Second Immortal Redeemer
    World's Third Gryphon Heart

Top scores :
    vAA - 4D (PC NA) - 154,068 - 8:31 Greymoor
    vSO - 4D (PC NA) - 180,238 - 11:28 Greymoor
    vHRC - 4D (PC NA) - 163,258 - 8:28 Greymoor
    vMOL - Calamity (PC NA) - 174,680 - 9:42 Stonethorn
    vHOF - 4D (PC NA) - 232,362 - 14:11 Greymoor
    vAS - 4D (PC NA) - 117,014 - 2:41 Stonethorn
    vCR - Calamity (PC NA) - 136,091 - 3:45 Stonethorn
    vSS - 4D (PC NA) - 255,552 - 21:34 Greymoor
    vKA - 4D (PC NA) - 247,292 - 16:19 Greymoor
    vRG - Calamity (PC NA) - 301,438 - 24:21 Blackwood
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see people complaining about Mountain Dew coming out with a limited edition flavour. So why are you complaining when there is a limited edition VIRTUAL ITEM

No where did I say anything about limited edition.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This recent wave of anti-microtransactions hysteria is getting out of control! I suggest @TheMonetizationDepartment to take action and start dispensing some free scam crates to improve their image and quelch the dissenters.

Also @PeteHines should shoot a video explaining how scam crates are not gambling and are, in fact, very cool. I believe, based on his past performance in the video announcing the crown store and Tamriel Unlimited, he would be terribly convincing!
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand where you are coming from. But the fact remains that the gaming industry is changing, and not for the better. Like it or not most companies want to milk every single penny out of consumers, and they do not care how they achieve that goal. Period. Hell, its now becoming common practise to design a game, split it into multiple parts, and charge you multiple times for it as if its "new" content. There are rumours that ZOS has already done this, and then implied upon its release it is new content. Such practice is slowly spreading out from MMO's to other genres too.

For example, when single player games like Shadow of War introduce loot boxes, its sets a disturbing precedent for what is to come. And if single player games are now doing it, how can we expect to stop the practice of it in MMO's which have been doing it for years in order to fund continual development? They are probably making more money on Crown Store exclusives than anything else and I don't believe enough people will stop buying them in order to make ZOS rethink policy. ZOS make no money from us buying things with in game gold, so its a "Pay or miss out" attitude. I realise I am stating the obvious here, but its probably naïve of us to think it will change. You said yourself that there have been countless threads about the crown store and loot boxes but ZOS remain silent, knowing that they can dictate policy without having to defend their actions.

But I digress, I do agree with most of your points. I want to believe that we, the players, can make a difference and get some transparency and discourse and even a say in which direction ZOS is taking the game as it drifts into the borderline insidious ways other gaming companies are making money. However this sort of thing is unfortunately becoming industry standard, and all the while people will say that it is necessary in order for companies to scrape a profit it will not change.

I like ESO and I have purchased from the store and even crates. But this was done with begrudging acceptance, to keep me interested in the game. Hypocritical? Quite possibly, but being a mainly solo player, where else in game can you get new shinies after 3 years?

Just my 2 cents. Peace.

Edited by TheTwistedRune on October 26, 2017 7:19PM
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..... ESO fans and players, lets show ZOS how we feel, for the betterment of the game and the community. Let's make November, No Crowns November, show them that we do have a voice and that we aren't willing to continue down this path.
    I promise I will not buy any Crowns, unless they go on sale :D .
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Arizona_Steve
    Arizona_Steve
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I don't like the crown crates and crown store exclusive content, I can just simply ignore it. I buy crowns when they go on sale and only use them on expansions.

The bigger issue with this is the direction in which game development goes. No longer is it about providing content and providing an enjoyable game experience. It's about cutting the drop rate of various crafting motifs to infinitesimal levels to force people to buy it from the store. Limited time sales in order to force people into quick decisions and other dubious marketing tactics.

I'm waiting for the level gates to appear, where one has to buy something from the Crown Store to continue. Or the World Boss that can only be beaten with the overpowered sword of slaying - only available from the Crown Store.

I have not bought a game from EA or Ubisoft in over a decade. Zenimax is rapidly heading down the same path. If loot boxes find their way into Elder Scrolls VI I will turn around and walk away from the series.

I feel like we are headed towards another 1983 style game industry crash.
    Wannabe Thalmor - Altmer MagSorc
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can do something about this. Stop buying crowns, stop buying crates, stop spending real world currency on in game purchases. I have no issue with the option to obtain via real world currency or via in game grind. But this Crown Store Only business model is unfair and shows nothing but greed.
    What you're proposing is that their sole source of income be voluntary subscriptions. They CAN'T stay afloat on just voluntary subscriptions alone. They wouldn't make enough profit (or any at all, perhaps), and the game would die a slow death. If the game isn't profitable, the company WILL NOT keep it going. It's not "greed," it's just common sense business. Their other option is to go back to their mandatory subscription model with crown store sales on the side.

I agree that way too much content is only available with real-world money, though (via crowns). At least it's only cosmetic things, and not things you need to succeed at the game.