The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Furnishing reward for collecting

VoodooPlatypus
VoodooPlatypus
✭✭✭✭
So I was playing the other night and random zone chat was going on. People looking to sell [Item X] or [Item Y] - you know the drill. Sometimes one (or 7) of these links will be to their I'm-so-amazing-please-validate-my-self-worth-and-comment-on-my-stuff bound gear.

However, the link I saw was for a purple quality item (and naturally I cannot remember the name at all). I clicked it because it to see what it was - had never seen the item before, so curiosity got the better of me. The item description said something to the effect of "awarded to adventurers who have taken time collecting insects of Tamriel" (yes, the actual description was far better than that). In essence, this was a furnishing item (it had the label "furnishing") and was somehow insect related. My assumption is that it has to do with collecting butterflies, torchbugs, baby netches, etc.

I've scoured the mmo-fashion/eso-fashion site, Googled, searched the forums...but cannot find any mention of this. I asked about it in a couple of my guilds and the common response was "probably a fake link." Though I know that's possible on PC, I didn't know it could be done on console, but maybe it is.

So that brings me to my question - is this a real thing? If so, what is it called and what are the requirements to obtain it?
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake links are possible on console, so I would think that that is what it is.
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    So as it turns out, it's definitely real. I came across it while looking for interesting non-craftable items to use for furnishing the new Exorcised Coven Cottage.

I'm at work now, so I can't pull up the inventory name, but I'll try to remember to get a screen shot of it later. It was available at the clothier, alongside things like the "clothier's sign." It's a purple quality item, named something like "Critter Collection Trap" or similar. The item is a small wooden cage that looks like it could be used to catch rats. Not particularly expensive - like 5000 gold or so.

I had never seen this item when Homestead released, but maybe I just missed it. I ran to the other vendors to see what things I might've missed. The enchanter has the enchanting gem (which I'd seen and purchased), the chef had a butcher's knife (again, already knew this and had one), but the blacksmith had an ore node I'd never seen and the woodworker had a pile of lumber. Both of these items' descriptions mentioned being a reward for those who had mastered the art of blah-blah-blah.

EDIT: The alchemist had a string of dried herbs which I had never seen before either so I picked that up as well. It is awkward to place anywhere. Perhaps it is designed to fit inside a window or something, or between two overhead cabinets. I tried to use it at the bottom of Argonian hanging shelves, but since those have feather adornments on them, it just sort of blends in. Also, there was a "harvester's" bush - animated - which is a small bush with yellow flowers and little bugs flying about - maybe butterflies, but smaller than the butterflies we see out in the world.

So, there it is. Real item, not faked, just somehow available without any real notice and not mentioned on any of the furnishing sites that I've been able to track down.
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    For anyone who may be interested, this is the "Harvester's Critter Trap" I was originally asking about.

fMvQHga.jpg

The "Harvester's Garden Shrub," referenced above, is the one below.
    vVvughu.jpg
    Edited by VoodooPlatypus on October 26, 2017 6:23AM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the items you mention were available when homestead dropped. They’re just buried in such random places no one noticed them. I bought most of them on the first weekend, just randomly picking up crap to stuff in my first homes.

And your comment made me think of how many times I’ve shared the most useless crap in chat, just because I miss the menu selection I’m aiming for. I’m always doing that, lol. And no one has ever validated me over my stack of old lockpicks, dang it.
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL @davey1107

Yeah, I am not surprised to hear that they were in game since Homestead dropped. There was SO much stuff to browse through, what with having different items available just from the general housing merchant in each zone. I remember spending days just going from one vendor to another, seeing what was different, trying to get ideas for the little house I'd purchased. I figure I saw them but paid them no real attention. With no real preview options on console (yet), I probably just scrolled right by. Obviously I did get to them later, just managed to completely forget all about them before doing so! Strange those items aren't in the https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/ website/database. It's pretty thorough, but those aren't there.

I hereby validate you and your stack of old lockpicks, sir.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So as it turns out, it's definitely real. I came across it while looking for interesting non-craftable items to use for furnishing the new Exorcised Coven Cottage.

I'm at work now, so I can't pull up the inventory name, but I'll try to remember to get a screen shot of it later. It was available at the clothier, alongside things like the "clothier's sign." It's a purple quality item, named something like "Critter Collection Trap" or similar. The item is a small wooden cage that looks like it could be used to catch rats. Not particularly expensive - like 5000 gold or so.

I had never seen this item when Homestead released, but maybe I just missed it. I ran to the other vendors to see what things I might've missed. The enchanter has the enchanting gem (which I'd seen and purchased), the chef had a butcher's knife (again, already knew this and had one), but the blacksmith had an ore node I'd never seen and the woodworker had a pile of lumber. Both of these items' descriptions mentioned being a reward for those who had mastered the art of blah-blah-blah.

EDIT: The alchemist had a string of dried herbs which I had never seen before either so I picked that up as well. It is awkward to place anywhere. Perhaps it is designed to fit inside a window or something, or between two overhead cabinets. I tried to use it at the bottom of Argonian hanging shelves, but since those have feather adornments on them, it just sort of blends in. Also, there was a "harvester's" bush - animated - which is a small bush with yellow flowers and little bugs flying about - maybe butterflies, but smaller than the butterflies we see out in the world.

So, there it is. Real item, not faked, just somehow available without any real notice and not mentioned on any of the furnishing sites that I've been able to track down.

Yeah...all these items were released with Homestead and are crafting related achievements. But, the critter trap is for harvesting leather, not insects, which is probably why some people thought it was fake. I've got all of these that you mentioned in my crafting basement in Velothi Reverie.

EDIT: Sorry, I see that someone else has already said what I just posted. :D

Also, @davey1107 I've done the same thing myself many times! Usually, it's some crap piece of gear I'm trying to destroy or some flowers or other crafting mat I'm trying to split into two stacks.

EDIT 2: Thought I'd post a link to a great site which has pretty much all the furnishing items in game. It's slow loading, though, but very thorough and well organized. You can filter by luxury furnisher, achievement furnishers, etc. The site is http://eso-styles.com/
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on October 26, 2017 6:01PM