The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Racial Difference Question

Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
Currently, I play a High Elf Magicka DK that I main. I have played this character for 42 days, 9 hours, 24 minutes, and 13 seconds, as of this writing. This character is also a vampire. Recently I was comparing the racial skill differences between High Elves and Dark Elves, and really starting to think that Dark Elves have better racial passives for Mag DK vampires. I'm getting into more endgame stuff, vet trials and such, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has compared the differences between Altmer and Dunmer Magicka DK PvE DPS to know if one is better (even if only marginally). I have no qualms with changing my character's race. It breaks no immersion for me, and I really would just like to perform as well as possible.

TL;DR - For a magicka DK Endgame PvE vampire DPS - is High Elf or Dark Elf better?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark elves have been considered the best race for a DK fire mage for the reasons you seem to have noticed.

However, it's a toss up changing the race. Lose some regen but game some fire resist to help with the vampire. High elfs still gets some increased fire damage.

In the end it's a personal choice and unless your looking, and pushing yourself, to get into the more competitive raid groups where each players dps is looked at I really would not stress about it. The difference is not huge.

Anyhow. I know players who run high elf DKs and have cleared all the trials.
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    idk wrote: »
    Dark elves have been considered the best race for a DK fire mage for the reasons you seem to have noticed.

However, it's a toss up changing the race. Lose some regen but game some fire resist to help with the vampire. High elfs still gets some increased fire damage.

In the end it's a personal choice and unless your looking, and pushing yourself, to get into the more competitive raid groups where each players dps is looked at I really would not stress about it. The difference is not huge.

Anyhow. I know players who run high elf DKs and have cleared all the trials.

I am looking to get into the raid groups where players look at DPS numbers lol. But generally, is it accepted that the 3% increase in fire damage that Dunmer have over Altmer is worth the 1% decrease in max magicka and 9% decrease in regen? Also, it seems that the max stamina addition would be helpful in block-heavy situations and being able to roll dodge, does that really factor in at all? And of course, fire resistance just seems nice because of vampirism weakness, but is the 2000 or so resistance useful?
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure that a mDK automatically needs to be a dark elf anymore. Because whip contributes so much to off balance drain, I've had to start running a lightning back bar for lightning blockade, and a shock enchant on my front bar inferno. Plus lightning rage is better than inferno rage.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are pretty much equivalent at this point, either one of those races can do fine DPS for raids. If you notice that you are always at full magicka with your rotation, and really don't use any lightning damage at all, then consider switching to Dunmer, but it will be at most 2% more DPS.
  • TheUndeadAmulet
    TheUndeadAmulet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fire resistance dark elfs get is negligible and works out to increase your fire resistance by around... 3.1%. Yeah, pretty far from the 50% in Skyrim ain't it? IMO though, I would stay high elf cause who wants to spend around $15 to be very slightly better in DPS.

But to REALLY answer the question, yes dark elves can do better than high elves as a Magdk in PvE DPS.
    XBOX NA 1000+ CP
    nerf ping please
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    The fire resistance dark elfs get is negligible and works out to increase your fire resistance by around... 3.1%. Yeah, pretty far from the 50% in Skyrim ain't it? IMO though, I would stay high elf cause who wants to spend around $15 to be very slightly better in DPS.

But to REALLY answer the question, yes dark elves can do better than high elves as a Magdk in PvE DPS.

Is the difference substantial enough that I would notice it in DPS parses and endgame content immediately? Like what would you estimate the percentage increase I might see? And the money really doesn't matter to me, I just want to be putting out the best numbers I can
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the difference substantial enough that I would notice it in DPS parses and endgame content immediately? Like what would you estimate the percentage increase I might see? And the money really doesn't matter to me, I just want to be putting out the best numbers I can

Honestly? No. Maybe against a dummy but in practical terms of doing a trial with mechanics, fps loss, etc., you won't notice it. 3% is well within the margin of error for a bad weave or a busted rotation.