The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

unwanted research crafting change

Imza
Imza
✭✭✭✭
Why do I now see a possible option for research and when I open it to check there is nothing?

I know that this means the item is locked... but it is locked for a reason - I DO NOT want to see it as a possible research item.

Anyone else have a problem with this?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a screenshot showing the issue?
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://imgur.com/a/Jof3p

Seems that an item that is LOCKED in the bank or elsewhere shows up as researchable, even though it cannot actually be chosen to research.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a another thread on this subject this morning. I have had time to mull this over and even tried it out with alt crafter that is still researching traits.

I see it this way. It shows me what items I have to research so I can then figure out what one I want to unlock. This way I don't have to leave the work station, go to a Banker, open the inventory, then figure it out from there. I think removing it from view on the Research Tab would be more inconvenient. Not everyone has a Banker Assistant.

Also, how else are you going to be able to unlock the item from the research window unless you can see it? Otherwise, you will have to go to the bank each and every time you want to research something. Not fun.

As long as you can't select it for research, the Lock function is working.

If you don't want to see it, then you can always put it on a mule.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can lock or unlock it on the improvement or deconstruction windows of crafting..... you don't need to go to the bank or have a banking assistant

this gives a false impression when browsing on your alts that you actually have something to research - when you don't because it is locked (for a reason)

you can't tell it's a locked item untill you try to select it
    Edited by Imza on October 25, 2017 10:42PM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a click-fest now.

I have to go right click all items that show up in the research box to locate the ones that I actually have on my character at the time that I wanted to research.
    If you don't want to see it, then you can always put it on a mule.

Not practical by any measure. All my mules are crafters and frankly I want to know what items I have in my inventory without having to log off, relog mule, log off, relog ad nauseum.

I store items for research on the character that is doing the research. The bank is for storage and is full of (locked) set-items collected from dungeons etc, that I don't want to use as research items. I don't want them showing up on my research screen. The potential for errors is increased this way.

Locking an item in the BANK should make it secure. That is the whole point of having a bank. (Needs more space :) )
    Edited by MrGarlic on October 25, 2017 10:57PM
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locking an item in the BANK should make it secure.

It does make the items secure. But ZOS has kept these items visible in certain circumstances for convenience, based on player feedback. People asked to be able to store research items in their bank that they could protect from routine end of play deconstruction.

If you don’t like seeing the item at the table...that’s sort of a first world problem, right? It’s locked...you’re protected...you can unlock and research or move on to the next item.
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/a/Jof3p

Seems that an item that is LOCKED in the bank or elsewhere shows up as researchable, even though it cannot actually be chosen to research.

I would not see this as a bug. You can't research the item as you have to expend it to do so and it's locked. But you know you have it and can unlock it for research should you choose.
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    The issue for me is not the security - it is the fact that I CANNOT see what I can research.

If I want to research belts

and I can see that I have several that I could possibly research

I go ahead and click on one of the possible researchable items

ONLY then do I find out if it is a locked item or not

It has IMHO "become a click fest" :(
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, example of why I like the "lock an item" and why I always do it now for special stuff I want to research.

I made nirnhoned items to research on a second crafter. I have several low level alts. I want to level crafting on my alts for mat farming purposes. On one of those low level alts I started a decon session to level the crafting. Whites, greens, even blues. And yes, unfortunately I didn't have the white nirnhoned items locked, so I deconned those on that low level alt. It took weeks to replace the nirncrux.

A few seconds to check why I locked an item versus weeks to replace nirncrux...... I can see what I can research. I won't accidentally decon my research items, and they are still accessible for all the characters, no matter who I choose to do the research with.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since my bank is full, every time i pull up the improvement tab at a crafting station my game lags because i have so many pieces in there. I understand many actually like this change but I would prefer the old way. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imza wrote: »
    The issue for me is not the security - it is the fact that I CANNOT see what I can research.

And yet your complaining about being able to see the locked items in the research window so you can determine what is researchable. And your rebuttal solution to use the Decon or Improvement windows to see what you can research is somehow less of a click fest?

• Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. I can actually understand the security issue - I have many a time decon'd an item that I was saving for research. Thankfully not any of the nirnhoned items!

2. My Rebuttal - was not a rebuttal - but an explanation that one doesn't need to go to the bank or have a banker.... it seems some people did not know that.

I guess what I am unhappy about is the fact that I SEE NOTHING when I select the trait that I would like to research

If I could see what was locked - I would be much happier - then at least I could decide if I wanted to unlock it

A possible solution to this would be to not see an empty window but a list of the items with a padlock icon beside it as in the improvement window - then one could right click it to unlock or not as the case may be.

Edit: typo's
    Edited by Imza on October 26, 2017 9:50PM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oDU60zb.png

It's an EMPTY box, and it is NOT showing locked items, only that somewhere, either in my inventory or in the bank, there is an item to research but it is LOCKED so I cannot see WHICH ONE of the may items I have stored it is.

Here is another one. A character who has not done any research at all yet. There are 6 items that she can research, but where are they? What items are they? I don't know either unless I stuff around looking for them.

But guess what. All the items are LOCKED because I DON'T want to use them for research. So why are they getting a mention at all?

28TJDjI.png
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imza wrote: »
    I guess what I am unhappy about is the fact that I SEE NOTHING when I select the trait that I would like to research

If I could see what was locked - I would be much happier - then at least I could decide if I wanted to unlock it

As much as I hate to use Puns, I see what your concern is. I did not get a chance to test this last night but the screen shots in another post illustrate the issue.

Yes, we should be able to see the items in question even if they are locked in that screen only. I don't know if its because the way the crafting system works, as in all items that are locked are filtered from view. That may be the very reason why this is the way that it is.