The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crash on start

fatman29
fatman29
✭✭
I have the Steam version of the game, and no matter what I've tried I can't launch it without it crashing. I've tried with the launcher and directly through the file directory. Tried running as administrator as well, but nothing works. What the hell is going on?

• Tsute
    Tsute
    ✭✭✭
    Maintenance happened. Good ole Error 1005. You'll have to reinstall the game completely for it to work. at least until the devs find the glitch and fix it, which can take anywhere from a day to a week.
  • fatman29
    fatman29
    ✭✭
    ====================================================================
    eso has stopped working.
    ====================================================================

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.3.2.6.1517120
    branch = live
    client.executablebits = 64
    client.mode = startup
    client.renderertype = D3D11
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2017-10-25T16:36:43.979-05:00
    client.timestamp = 2017-10-25T16:36:49.411-05:00 -frme 0-
    computer.name =
    computer.user =
    cpu.arch = 9
    cpu.count = 8
    cpu.level = 6
    cpu.type = 8664
    data.depotid = 4000
    data.dir = C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Zenimax Online/Th
    data.syncm = databuild
    data.version = 4000.win.1517143.live.1517120
    exe.buildnum = 1517120
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    gfx.description =
    gfx.deviceid = 1046.-96005767.6
    gfx.driver = Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    gfx.vendorid = 32902
    mem.system_physical = 16295
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 6.2.9200.
    ptime = 11371
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 3
    version.patch = 2
    version.subpatch = 6

As you can see, I didn't get any error code. This is even after the newest patch. One thing I also noticed is that despite the numerous steps taking to force the program to use my dedicated GPU it's still using the integrated graphics. Might this have something to do with it?

(edited the text to remove my pc/user name)
    Edited by fatman29 on October 25, 2017 4:40PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fatman29 wrote: »
    that despite the numerous steps taking to force the program to use my dedicated GPU it's still using the integrated graphics. Might this have something to do with it?

Probably.Although it may be working OK. The Launcher is 2D, the game is 3D, so if your never getting the game to launch, it may not ever have a chance to switch to 3D.

So, not sure what you have tried, but here are the common things:

1. Make sure your power options are set to High Performance
    2. Make sure your video card control panel is forcing the 3D card for this game
    3. If you have Geforce Experience, disable that (it is a know problem for games, ironically)

This whole 2D/3D switch is why I bought a motherboard that has no video capabilities. Although my laptop seems to sort this just fine with the Power Options.

If the above is not working to fix this, and your game was working last week, then use the Launcher to do a Repair.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• fatman29
    fatman29
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

1. Make sure your power options are set to High Performance
    2. Make sure your video card control panel is forcing the 3D card for this game
    3. If you have Geforce Experience, disable that (it is a know problem for games, ironically)

This whole 2D/3D switch is why I bought a motherboard that has no video capabilities. Although my laptop seems to sort this just fine with the Power Options.

If the above is not working to fix this, and your game was working last week, then use the Launcher to do a Repair.

1 and 2 were done before. Tried doing the third option and that didn't work. Repaired as well and it did nothing.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you disable the onboard graphics card in the BIOS? On my systems in the past with onboard graphics I was able to disable them. (That was sorta funny how that was written...).

I would bet that is the problem. Your cards are fighting for control. Not sure for onboard graphics cards but in the Nvidia Control Panel I can choose which video card the games use.

Good luck. Hope you are online in game soon!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @fatman29

If your game is crashing when launched through Steam, there are a few additional things you should besides running the game as an administrator.

Check graphics card drivers and settings

Download and install latest drivers for your graphics card:

In addition, you should ensure your video driver is selecting the correct GPU for ESO by opening either the NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Panel and ensuring that ESO64.exe is making use of your primary GPU.

Download Windows updates

Download and install the latest version of DirectX here.

Download and install the Visual C++ update here.

To ensure there are no issues, you should check that you have all Windows updates installed (using Windows Update), including both the required and optional updates. After running all of the required updates, please reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. Once you have rebooted your machine, you should check to see if any additional updates are now available. You may need to update and restart your machine multiple times before all updates are installed.

Change the game’s graphics settings

You can change the game's graphics settings by following the process below:
    1. From ESO’s log in screen, click SETTINGS.
    2. Select Video.
    3. Lower your View Distance.
    4. Change your Display Mode and lower the Resolution.
    5. Turn Anti-Aliasing off.
    6. Lower your Graphics Quality setting

Note: If you are using a 32-bit client, we recommend you set your Graphics Quality settings to either medium or low.

Repair the game client

To repair the game client, open the ESO Launcher, click Game Options, and then select Repair.

PC_LAUNCHER_REPAIR.PNG

Remove any mods or add-ons

Turn off or remove all mods or add-ons you have installed.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post