The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Treasure Chests

TheRambling
TheRambling
Soul Shriven
So all i seem to read are negative reviews for those who seek treasure chests... Obviously they can't make bumper items from all chests but I have had some seriously good items from chests lately. Some nights I find one master chest, while other nights i find 5-10. Which i do find strange because up until 2 weeks ago I used to find 1 every 3 months or so...The reason? dedicated farming and not being greedy.
When I say "not being greedy", I mean not to take every chest you see. I have a theory in regards to chests... If you leave the odd very good chest the likely hood of receiving better items increases dramatically. I run by this and have found some amazing things. In a 1 hr run around a map or 2 I find items exceeding 20k, some even worth up to 100k. Don't expect to find legendary items or very rare items because those expectations are what seems to ruin it for people. Just go have fun and one day you will find something you'd never have dreamed of.
Edited by TheRambling on October 20, 2017 11:03AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a game where 80-90% of the item sets are somewhere between useless and worth less than 1k on the market, the vast majority of stuff you find in chests is also going to be vendor junk or worth less than 1k, unless you are treasure chest farming in the few zones where the sets are actually worth something (in certain sets, in certain types, in certain traits, etc.).

Treasure Chest hunting has always been a matter of volume. The more you farm, the more often you get the good loot. Unless its Vvardenfell and you are looking for the Buoyant Armiger motifs, in which case may whatever Aedra or Daedra presides over the finding of shiny things have mercy on your soul. (That rather sounds like Nocturnal, now that I think about it.)

As for your theory, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Leaving a unopened, good quality, chest behind in a populated zone sounds like an excellent way to lose that chest to some other player.
  • TheRambling
    TheRambling
    Soul Shriven
    haha yeah I though you'd say that... as stupid as it sounds to leave chests behind, I have noticed through doing just that, that I get less simple chests twice as often... but there is a reason it is called a theory.. in the end maybe I am just really lucky atm. Ironically the best item I have found in the game so far was from an intermediate chest.. but that was only 1 good item with 1000 useless items.
    With advanced and master chests, I seem to find a quality item such as unique necklace/ ring or unique set amour epic with good traits about 20% of the time.. each to their own I guess
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people say "worthless set" what they usually mean is "worthless to them". Just because you can't think of a use for a set doesn't mean it's worthless for everybody else in the game.

I have several full overland sets and treasure chests were no small part in getting those with the desirable traits for my builds.
    shades.gif
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha yeah I though you'd say that... as stupid as it sounds to leave chests behind, I have noticed through doing just that, that I get less simple chests twice as often... but there is a reason it is called a theory.. in the end maybe I am just really lucky atm. Ironically the best item I have found in the game so far was from an intermediate chest.. but that was only 1 good item with 1000 useless items.
    With advanced and master chests, I seem to find a quality item such as unique necklace/ ring or unique set amour epic with good traits about 20% of the time.. each to their own I guess

If you are using the treasure hunter passive, you should be getting a purple set piece 100% of the time on advanced and master chests. Whether or not its a "good" trait varies, of course.