The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I Have Searched the Forum for Blade of Woe Problem but Never Found an Answer

Mayanpup
Mayanpup
✭✭✭
I just started the DB, got the blade of woe skill, decided to try it on the acolytes in VG. Went into sneak mode, got to within pickpocket distance, pressed "X" key (on PC) and....nothing. No prompt, no attack, nothing.

An answer to why it is not working would be appreciated.

A solution to the problem would be even more greatly appreciated :)
Edited by Mayanpup on October 7, 2017 6:22AM

Best Answer

• UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your position and timing are everything. Moving NPCs can move out-of-bounds in a blink. NPCs moving up or down a slope can go off-axis and kill the shot. Obstacles may block your attack, even if the indicator and chime appear.
    Answer ✓
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A screen shot (with UI enabled) while you are behind the target, would help us understand what is going on.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a prompt that comes up on screen when you are in range to use the Blade of Woe. It makes a sound as well, so its hard to miss. I've murdered tons of those poor priests in Vulkhel Guard since they have a reasonable chance to drop human skull furnishing and an even better chance to turn out to be secret daedra worshippers or Veiled Heritance agents judging by the contents of their pockets, and I've never had a problem with the Blade of Woe.

If you are a vampire, that range can overlap with the range for vampire feeding and you'll see both prompts as you move around, which is why my assassin is no longer a vampire. Its very embarrassing to go for the clean, silent kill only to end up smearing blood all other your face in a feeding frenzy.

If you get an abortive attack, where it starts and doesn't complete, you need to re-position. There's this one beggar in Hew's Bane who knows what's up since he's got his back to a rock wall in exactly such a fashion that I can't backstab him. Smart man.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're higher or lower than the NPC, you often won't get the Blade of Woe prompt even if it'll allow you to pickpocket.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Greifenherz
    Greifenherz
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have "Prevent Attacking Innocents" toggled on? If so I believe Blade of Woe doesn't work.
  • Mayanpup
    Mayanpup
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have "Prevent Attacking Innocents" toggled on? If so I believe Blade of Woe doesn't work.

Prevent attacking innocents is off.
  • Mayanpup
    Mayanpup
    ✭✭✭
    There is a prompt that comes up on screen when you are in range to use the Blade of Woe. It makes a sound as well, so its hard to miss. I've murdered tons of those poor priests in Vulkhel Guard since they have a reasonable chance to drop human skull furnishing and an even better chance to turn out to be secret daedra worshippers or Veiled Heritance agents judging by the contents of their pockets, and I've never had a problem with the Blade of Woe.

If you are a vampire, that range can overlap with the range for vampire feeding and you'll see both prompts as you move around, which is why my assassin is no longer a vampire. Its very embarrassing to go for the clean, silent kill only to end up smearing blood all other your face in a feeding frenzy.

If you get an abortive attack, where it starts and doesn't complete, you need to re-position. There's this one beggar in Hew's Bane who knows what's up since he's got his back to a rock wall in exactly such a fashion that I can't backstab him. Smart man.

I will get the sound (like a gong) but never have gotten a prompt.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Works for me...at least it has recently. Think you need to be in sneak mode (obvious?)...and you need to be behind an appropriate victim. Find a drunk somewhere? Probably need to wait a certain amount of time till you see the prompt?

Probably works differently according to your level in the Dark Bro quest? Just starting out...it won't be easy.
    Edited by erliesc on October 20, 2017 10:11PM
    I know nutting....
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    Mayanpup wrote: »
    Went into sneak mode, got to within pickpocket distance, pressed "X" key (on PC) and....nothing. No prompt ...

There should be a prompt. It's at the bottom of screen where the prompt to activate synergy also appears. After entering sneak mode and getting into position behind an NPC, the awareness eye must close completely before the prompt will appear. Then the BOW prompt appears also.