The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Today I learned the "Buoyant Armiger" motif was originally intended to be the altmer style.

psychotrip
psychotrip
✭✭✭✭✭
This is random, I know, but I always love sharing anything that illustrates the awesome superiority of the master race.

We all remember the weird, alien glass gear from both iterations of Morrowind (TES:III and ESO). In ESO, it's called the "Buoyant armiger" style, and I always assumed it was a dunmeri version of traditional malachite armor.

RuestungenGlas.jpg
22793-4-1345540555.jpg
O9Dr1h1.png
glass1.jpg

Well, as we all know a ton of stuff about the ES universe was retconned in between Morrowind and Oblivion, especially when it comes to the altmer. In the current canon, this motif is of buoyant armiger origin, but did you know that all this weird looking gear was intended to represent the altmer?

Take a look at the game data for Morrowind, or ask a smith in-game, and you'll get an interesting piece of dialogue:

"Raw glass is similar to raw ebony, but less well-known. Ebony is jet black, while glass is a milky translucent green. Less durable, but much lighter and more flexible than ebony, glass is used primarily to make the distinctive, elegant glass armors and weapons of High Elven design."

"These light and elegant weapons of High Elven design feature extravagant use of rare metals and cutting edges made from rare crystalline materials. Duelists and assassins appreciate the delicate balance and sinister sharpness of glass weapons."

If the glass armor we see in Morrowind was supposed to represent the altmer, it makes me wonder just how strange their homeland and culture were originally intended to be. I would have loved to see a "Morrowind era" intepretation of the Summerset isles, full of weird crystals and weirder clothing.

So yeah, I had no real point to sharing that. Just thought it was a cool tidbit for anyone curious about how the lore has changed over the years.
Edited by psychotrip on October 20, 2017 2:18AM
No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Greifenherz
    Greifenherz
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty well known that glass armor is of Altmer culture. At least I had no doubt about it in Oblivion. I thought the Buoyant Armiger style was the Dunmer's take on the same raw material. After all Altmer don't have an exclusivity clause to the resource.
    Edited by Greifenherz on October 19, 2017 10:43PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty well known that glass armor is of Altmer culture. At least I had no doubt about it in Oblivion. I thought the Buoyant Armiger style was the Dunmer's take on the same raw material. After all Altmer don't have an exclusivity clause to the resource.

Well yeah I'm not saying the idea that glass being altmer armor is new, but that specifically the morrowind / buoyant armiger version was designed by them as well. The glass armor and weapons we use in Morrowind were never intended to be dunmeri in shape or design. That's what altmer gear was originally supposed to look like
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe morrowind was where the first incarnation of glass was created so I believe glass was made to be an altmer material later
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    I believe morrowind was where the first incarnation of glass was created so I believe glass was made to be an altmer material later

That's not what the dialogue in Morrowind says though. See the quote above.

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    aliyavana wrote: »

That's not what the dialogue in Morrowind says though. See the quote above.

If that's the case I'm glad that the arminger style became dunmers glass armor style and altmer looks more bird oriented as I prefer dunmer glass while altmer is pretty on its own way