Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rp dunmer culture and being a redguard

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I chose redguard for their racials for a stam sorc but I'm a dunmer lover at heart. I am looking to see if the following are compatible for redguard with a dunmer background

Father is dunmer warrior of house redoran, mother is a traveling redguard swordsmen

Redguard belongs to house redoran, how do house elves view outside races with a dunmer parent? View of house redoran?

Does having a dunmer parent of house redoran make my redguard a member of house redoran? Or must I join myself? How does one join a great house? as it's been a while I played the original morrowind.

As for rp I assume house redoran is really a huge part of the alliance war but I dislike the pact (filthy argonian sympathyzers!) How would neautrality and their view toward mercenary work be?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I admit you kind of lost me with choosing one race for racials when really wanting to RP another.

that being said, if it works for you, then go and have fun with it.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    I admit you kind of lost me with choosing one race for racials when really wanting to RP another.

that being said, if it works for you, then go and have fun with it.

Another race but has lived in morrowind all their life is what I'm going for.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me the traditional view of any Dunmer relating to any non-dunmer is "outlander" and if I could link to the sarcastic sneer of the actual Morrowind audiofile I would.

That being said, I do roleplay a Dunmer Sorc who is married to my spouse's Altmer Sorc, and she loves him dearly, despite his terrible handicap of not being a Dunmer.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earlier this year I changed for the passives one of my mains to redguard..........
    I just couldn´t believe how she looked like, so I changed her back to Dunmer and now everything is alright again.

Buy yourself a token and make a dunmer out of it, evetything else is just wtf ;)
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the fact that the Dunmer think of themselves as superior to any other race, I highly doubt one would choose to get down and dirty with a Redguard. Or anything other than a fellow Dunmer, really. Having said that, though..
    There is a Morrowind chapter quest, "Bound by Love", in which a Dunmer guy falls in love with his mother's Altmer slave and even goes so far as to try and free her so he can marry her. The love is unanswered, but ESO did plant a seed for possible interracial-Dunmer couples there.

Normally, when a Dunmer from a lesser house marries into a greater one, they'd get adopted into the greater one - though they wouldn't have as many privileges as family members from the house's bloodline (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Marriage). I honestly don't know how Dunmer view half-Dunmer individuals (or if they even exist).. but the entire situation would more likely get both the Dunmer and Redguard parent - as well as the resulting child - exiled from the House for embarrassing them, rather than the Redguard being adopted into it.

I've never played Morrowind (TES III) nor do I know a great deal of lore revolving around the Dunmer Houses, so this is all speculation by me, but from an RP point of view I think this would be very hard to align with canon lore. There's plenty of fan-fiction and fan-creations out there though, so you can always make your own story & background, and just go with that. ;)
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You love dunmers, but you hate Pact? Hah, just reroll to argonion already!
    PC/EU
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lnsane wrote: »
    Considering the fact that the Dunmer think of themselves as superior to any other race, I highly doubt one would choose to get down and dirty with a Redguard. Or anything other than a fellow Dunmer, really. Having said that, though..
    There is a Morrowind chapter quest, "Bound by Love", in which a Dunmer guy falls in love with his mother's Altmer slave and even goes so far as to try and free her so he can marry her. The love is unanswered, but ESO did plant a seed for possible interracial-Dunmer couples there.

Normally, when a Dunmer from a lesser house marries into a greater one, they'd get adopted into the greater one - though they wouldn't have as many privileges as family members from the house's bloodline (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Marriage). I honestly don't know how Dunmer view half-Dunmer individuals (or if they even exist).. but the entire situation would more likely get both the Dunmer and Redguard parent - as well as the resulting child - exiled from the House for embarrassing them, rather than the Redguard being adopted into it.

I've never played Morrowind (TES III) nor do I know a great deal of lore revolving around the Dunmer Houses, so this is all speculation by me, but from an RP point of view I think this would be very hard to align with canon lore. There's plenty of fan-fiction and fan-creations out there though, so you can always make your own story & background, and just go with that. ;)

Exile from the house huh? I can see that happening depending on the house like indoril and dres but I thought redoran respected warriors of all races (with favoritism toward dunmer ofc) and telvanni being open to bosmer etc but still being racist
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »

Exile from the house huh? I can see that happening depending on the house like indoril and dres but I thought redoran respected warriors of all races (with favoritism toward dunmer ofc) and telvanni being open to bosmer etc but still being racist

Yeah, I'm really only basing that assumption on the fact that ESO's Morrowind portrays House Redoran as a real stickler for tradition & piety as well. House before family and all. And a Redguard/Dunmer couple isn't exactly traditional :tongue:. But your point makes sense, and it could be that they'd be on board as long as the Redguard has proven themselves as an exceptional warrior. Although I don't know if respecting a fellow-warrior also means they'd be okay with them marrying into the family, as a non-Dunmer.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You would be considered N'Wah, your upbringing would be hard. You would have to exceed all tests put upon you... By a large margin to ultimately be accepted as a full dunmer of a Great House, especially Redoran. Hlaalu wouldn't be so tough as long as you had a canny mind for trade. And Telvanni wouldn't give a damn as long as you were devious and magical.
    Edited by nimander99 on September 28, 2017 10:59PM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a character in Morrowind with a similar backstory to what you've presented here. Her name is Neminda and though she's imperialized-redguard by birth, she's redoran by culture.

"My father was a Legionnaire stationed in Ebonheart. When my mother died, I was sent to live with my Uncle, but we didn't get along. I made my way here, and lived with my father for three years until he was killed by the Telvanni. He and Athyn Sarethi were friends, so I was adopted in a sense. I don't miss Hammerfell. I'm working for a just cause. I serve with some of the best warriors in Tamriel. And the Ashlands can have a peculiar beauty..."

While this sort of thing was much, much more rare in the second era, The Great Houses have been known to adopt those who pledge an oath to the clan. These people are normally distinguished mercenaries who have exclusively worked for the house for many years, or otherwise prove their unwavering loyalty.

So you don't necessarily need to have a parent within the house to be part of the house. If anything, that would be a bit peculiar, since dunmer (and elves in general) usually shun breeding with humans. In general though, a redguard can definitely be a member of House Redoran. Have fun!
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I get the feeling you havent explored Stonefalls all that much.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a Nord man who has married a dunmer noble woman in stonefells. he's basicly as such the local lord. and their children are Nords. so yes there is at least one case along those lines in ESO
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does having a dunmer parent of house redoran make my redguard a member of house redoran? Or must I join myself? How does one join a great house? as it's been a while I played the original morrowind.

As for rp I assume house redoran is really a huge part of the alliance war but I dislike the pact (filthy argonian sympathyzers!) How would neautrality and their view toward mercenary work be?

In Morrowind, you get told by Caius Cosades, "Hey, you really need to work on blending in here. Go talk to the great houses and start making connections." So you go to House Redoran and start getting tasks of increasing difficulty that involve you helping out people in House Redoran and their settlements. You rise in the ranks, attaching yourself to one of the Counciliors who's relatively open to outlanders because the head honcho definitely isn't and hates your guts.
    That's okay, you later get the chance to spill his guts all over the Vivec arena floor.

House Redoran is indeed a large part of the Pact. This in-game book may help with a very irreverent look at the Houses and their part in the war effort: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Great_Houses_and_Their_Uses
    The Redoran really don't tend to use mercenaries being a very military oriented house
    although the Balmora questline in ESO Morrowind casts significant doubt on this statement where House Redoran is up to some shifty stuff with a band of Khajiit mercs in the mix
    However, the tasks that you get while rising in the ranks in TES III: Morrowind are all general mercenary stuff like deal with bandits, wild animals, or a nasty slaughterfish. So to me, that suggests that the Redorans would be willing to hire an honorable mercenary, but that rising in the House means taking those sorts of jobs for free serving the good of the house.

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

In Morrowind, you get told by Caius Cosades, "Hey, you really need to work on blending in here. Go talk to the great houses and start making connections." So you go to House Redoran and start getting tasks of increasing difficulty that involve you helping out people in House Redoran and their settlements. You rise in the ranks, attaching yourself to one of the Counciliors who's relatively open to outlanders because the head honcho definitely isn't and hates your guts.
    That's okay, you later get the chance to spill his guts all over the Vivec arena floor.

House Redoran is indeed a large part of the Pact. This in-game book may help with a very irreverent look at the Houses and their part in the war effort: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Great_Houses_and_Their_Uses
    The Redoran really don't tend to use mercenaries being a very military oriented house
    although the Balmora questline in ESO Morrowind casts significant doubt on this statement where House Redoran is up to some shifty stuff with a band of Khajiit mercs in the mix
    However, the tasks that you get while rising in the ranks in TES III: Morrowind are all general mercenary stuff like deal with bandits, wild animals, or a nasty slaughterfish. So to me, that suggests that the Redorans would be willing to hire an honorable mercenary, but that rising in the House means taking those sorts of jobs for free serving the good of the house.

Im sure there are some very staunch Redorans that believe only Redoran troops are to be used in the defense of Dunmer and their culture. But I would be shocked if all of the Redorans or even a majority of them hold this belief. Mercenaries are great assets for any faction that needs to wage war.

A mercenary company bolsters your own numbers and gives you the ability to throw lives, that are not your own, into the frey first. Giving you the opportunity to force your enemy to expend their own troops without doing so yourself (this is why slaves were often dragged out to battlefields and forced onto the front line between the professional soldiers and their enemies). Or open up a second front in a war that forces your enemy to commit to multiple engagements. Possibly forcing them to commit larger numbers elsewhere and giving you a softer target. A sound tactician and strategist would see using mercenary companys as common sense.

This also might be an attitude that changes like the winds. During certain conflicts the attitude might be that they dont want outsiders in their ranks while at other times that might not be true at all.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You give good reasons for using mercenaries in warfare, however the people using mercs in that case would be the Pact Army, which while there are Redoran soldiers in it, is not the same as House Redoran.

House Redoran certainly seems willing to use its retainers to do mercenary-like work in TES III, when you consider the tasks you do when you join the House as a retainer. The fact that many of its retainers are serving in the war might make them more likely to hire a mercenary.

However, now that I'm reading the OP again, is the OP looking for the Redoran take on hiring mercenaries
    the Balmora questline establishes that they will
    ? Or is the OP looking for the Redoran take on Redoran retainers opposing the Pact militarily as a mercenary since the OP dislikes the Pact?

Honestly, you can probably roleplay even opposing the Pact as becoming the retainer of a Councilior who opposed the Pact but now goes along with it in public for the sake of House Redoran. In private though, she/he's perfectly willing to let his /her retainers oppose the war however they want as long as they don't bring shame on him/her.TES III sets a lot of precedent for counciliors that don't see eye to eye about the future of their Great House.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This redguard outlander... He´s not a dunmer!
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You do know of that one sidequest in Shadowfen right? Of the Dunmer girl in love with an Argonian who used to be her family's slave.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is a Nord man who has married a dunmer noble woman in stonefells. he's basicly as such the local lord. and their children are Nords. so yes there is at least one case along those lines in ESO

I believe those are his children from an earlier marriage (presumably with a fellow Nord). The couple got married after the Akaviri invasion which took place 10 years ago, and those sons are definitely older than 10.

Also keep in mind that the Dunmer woman was ostracized by her family for marrying a Nord, so while interracial marriages may happen between Dunmer and non-Dunmer, it's likely that the Dunmer family will be less than welcoming.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA