The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Red Exiles

Korah_Eaglecry
Korah_Eaglecry
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
As far as I can tell there really isnt much if any lore revolving around these outcasts beyond what we are briefly told in Morrowind while investigating Chodola. And since this place has some really insightful lore-buffs. Id like to posit a question.

How do you think this group of outcasts, whomever they may be and whatever their crimes, function as a tribe? And what sort of crimes do you think would land them in exile?
Penniless Sellsword Company
Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exile is a form of punishment when a member of an Ashlander tribe performs some sort of wrong-doing to another member of the tribe. So the Red Exiles would be people that have something wrong in their respective tribe, been cast out for it, and formed a group of their own that is not recognised by the other Ashlander tribes. As for how they operate, I'd say much the same way as formal Ashlander groups, though I would imagine they wouldn't necessarily have an Ashkahn.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand what an exile is. That really wasnt what I was asking. The question revolves around what sort of crimes might fall within the need for exile and how an exile tribe would function.

I personally dont believe the exile tribe would function just like a normal tribe, at least when it comes to this particular one. Our interactions with this tribe is quite violent whenever we encounter them versus the typical aggression experienced when interacting with other Tribes. It could be that they just have a much more aggressive approach to outsiders but its just as likely their aggression plays a part in why they are members of the Red Exiles and no longer members of the Tribes they were born into.

I personally think the Red Exiles are much more cutthroat amongst themselves and operate on the "Might is Right" mentality that many violent offenders operate on. The most violent, powerful and intimidating end up being the "Ashkan". If they even use that term at all. And likely rarely if not ever have a wise woman as the Ashkans counter. But this might just be because I look at the Red Exiles as the worst of the worst when it comes to exiles. A sort of Ashlander bandit tribe if you will. I would like to believe not everyone ousted from their tribes would be violent and would avoid such exile groups as the Red Exiles. And that there are much more standard tribes out there that are made up of exiles.

As for crimes that might find you ousted from these tribes.

Murder
    Heresy
    Theft
    Recklessness (resulting in the death, injury and endangerment of other tribal members)
    Battery
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally dont believe the exile tribe would function just like a normal tribe, at least when it comes to this particular one. Our interactions with this tribe is quite violent whenever we encounter them versus the typical aggression experienced when interacting with other Tribes.

That may not be without cause; at least one 'official' Ashlander tribe kills them on sight (the Erabenimsun IIRC), and the quest to honor the original ashkhans for that tribe requires you to go kill a Red Exile and bring back their weapon.

Add to that House Dunmer don't tend to like Ashlanders in general, and Dunmer in general don't tend to care much for outlanders, and you don't need to make them super aggressive Dunmer to have them attack on sight; they have no allies to speak of.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally dont believe the exile tribe would function just like a normal tribe, at least when it comes to this particular one. Our interactions with this tribe is quite violent whenever we encounter them versus the typical aggression experienced when interacting with other Tribes.

That may not be without cause; at least one 'official' Ashlander tribe kills them on sight (the Erabenimsun IIRC), and the quest to honor the original ashkhans for that tribe requires you to go kill a Red Exile and bring back their weapon.

Add to that House Dunmer don't tend to like Ashlanders in general, and Dunmer in general don't tend to care much for outlanders, and you don't need to make them super aggressive Dunmer to have them attack on sight; they have no allies to speak of.

I mean, if you didnt have a means to lock up your criminals. Your only recourse to deal with these criminals would be to either kill them or exile them. And those exiled criminals went on to form a gang large enough to call themselves a tribe and to have enough power and influence to be called to a meeting of the tribes. You might be very hostile towards that gang. Obviously there is going to be history there between the established tribes and the exile tribe. Not to mention that tribes do war with each other and it wouldnt be all that surprising if the Red Exiles were more often than not warring with others considering their status amongst the Ashlanders.

Im not saying its right that these exiles are being assassinated once theyve been exiled for no other reason than being a Red Exile. But I think it a bit strange to sympathize with the known criminals of the Ashlander society. We really dont encounter any sort of refrain from this Tribe whatsoever. And the excuse that House Dunmer being hostile towards them falls flat when every other Tribe seems to handle themselves with some tact when dealing with outsiders and themselves been targets of discrimination from House Dunmer. Which is more likely? That the Exiles are just some misunderstood tribe of criminals that the other tribes pick on or that this tribe embodies all the of the terrible things Ashlanders can do to other Ashlanders?