The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Live: October 13 @ 3:00pm EDT"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article ESO Live: October 13 @ 3:00pm EDT. This Friday on Twitch, you can learn more about the lore behind the Clockwork City with Lead Loremaster Lawrence Schick and Writer-Designer Leamon Tuttle! Be sure to post your lore questions about Clockwork City in this thread, and we'll choose some to answer live on the show.

Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn it, ESO Live lore night and I'm busy for it. Will make sure I catch the video Saturday morning.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will we be touching on Balance changes at all
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please address latest PvP concerns and give information on what is being done to help PVP in Cyrodiil .
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    As mentioned in the post, we'll be discussing the lore behind Clockwork City.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why are there no Khajiit or Argonian apostles?? Like the only ones I've seen are just slummin in, well, the slums or do menial work as smiths or something.

Also, the thing with no Khajiit or Argonian-esque Factotums. I was really disappointed to see that the Factotum polymorph didn't make my lizard or cat into some cool robot version of them like other polymorphs do.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on October 11, 2017 6:51PM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be mudcrab sacrifices?

Can you please ensure there's no cute skeeverton or goats in the ESO Live room at the time of recording? Kthx. :)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are my personal favorite ESO lives. Yay, lore. Yay, Elder Scrolls universe.
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all of these murderous shadows running about it gives one with claws pause. What is the most efficient way to dispatch a shadow? If one were to fight their own shadow and win, would that mean you still lose?
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The last ESO Live with Schick and Tuttle was a true classic. This week’s episode has a tough job ahead if it wants to match that greatness.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These Factotums created by Sotha Sil, do they contain any internal power source? Or is it kinda like wireless energy? If it's the former, if this power source were to be, say, stabbed, grabbed, kerjiggered - would the factotum cease to function? (at least until the core was replaced).

What powers all of this? When shrunk do the mechanical components of the clockwork city require less energy than if they were not shrunk? How did Sotha Sil get all of the material required to build this immaculate structure?

Is the miniature of the clockwork city the actual clockwork city? Or does it exist in another plane? Is the miniature of the clockwork city protected by any kind of field? Could this field be breached? What would happen if you somehow tossed an apple into the miniature without it shrinking? would there now be a 20-ton apple meteor heading into the brass fortress? Could this be how Sotha Sil got all the material he needed to build everything in his domain?
  • Trainwiz
    Trainwiz
    ✭✭
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    These Factotums created by Sotha Sil, do they contain any internal power source? Or is it kinda like wireless energy? If it's the former, if this power source were to be, say, stabbed, grabbed, kerjiggered - would the factotum cease to function? (at least until the core was replaced).

What powers all of this? When shrunk do the mechanical components of the clockwork city require less energy than if they were not shrunk? How did Sotha Sil get all of the material required to build this immaculate structure?

Is the miniature of the clockwork city the actual clockwork city? Or does it exist in another plane? Is the miniature of the clockwork city protected by any kind of field? Could this field be breached? What would happen if you somehow tossed an apple into the miniature without it shrinking? would there now be a 20-ton apple meteor heading into the brass fortress? Could this be how Sotha Sil got all the material he needed to build everything in his domain?

They answered the part about the city's location. It's outside time and space, a special kind of pocket realm, while the snowglobe is just a representation of it.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will black soul gems come into more meaning due to the lore of them here?

Maybe along with existing souls gems to offer some other relevance in gameplay down the road?
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 11, 2017 11:01PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a little disappointed it is not a Lawrence and Zeb show (please have one for Summerset :wink: ) but Leamon knows some good lore as well.

Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay lore questions! :smiley:
    • Since the Fabricants need to eat, what are they feeding off of when they aren't eating adventurers or the oddball Apostle? There don't seem to be enough people outside the city to keep so many of them fed.
    • Most of the people in Clockwork City seem to be of at least above average magical and/or tech ability, and everyone seems to hate the nutrient paste for being boring. Illusion magic exists; if there's a spell to make someone think you're a friend, why isn't there a spell to make someone think the paste tastes like scrib jelly?
    • Why did Sotha Sil design his memory storage after foreign gods (by which I mean the Warrior, Mage and Thief constellations)?
    • Sotha Sil appears to have replaced an arm with metal; what was his original reason for doing so? Injury? Just trying to improve himself? Something else?
    • What do the Clockwork Apostles do as far as burial? How do they dispose of their dead?
    • We've seen a number of members of the Psijic Order. Will we ever get an explanation for why the order known for wearing gray cloaks eventually end up wearing yellow in ESV?
    • Does time travel at the same rate in the Clockwork City as it does in normal Tamriel? How old is old for a Clockwork Apostle?
    • Since there's no real sun in the Clockwork City, has it ever suffered from an invasion by vampires?

These might be spoilery:
    • Can you tell us more about Wafts (those little glowing things in the Evergloam)?
    • Where are the Hulking Fabricants? Do those not exist yet?
    • What happened to the Saints other than St. Olms, St. Felms, and St. Llothis? Is St. Seryn the Merciful the same lady we meet during the Morrowind Chapter?

These are definitely spoilery:
    • How did the Skeleton Key get into the Clockwork City in the first place? I would think if Nocturnal wanted it there, she would not have needed to send her minions to retrieve it, she could have just handed it to a cultist and been done with the matter.
    • Are the magic talking crows of the Blackfeather Court counted as Daedra? If not what happens when they die?

lonewolf26 wrote: »
    With all of these murderous shadows running about it gives one with claws pause. What is the most efficient way to dispatch a shadow? If one were to fight their own shadow and win, would that mean you still lose?

If you kill your Shadow
    It's a part of your soul, so that part of your soul is destroyed. We see a few people manage to defeat theirs without killing it, and reclaim it.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Trainwiz
    Trainwiz
    ✭✭
    A question I want to know:
    Was Sotha Nall the older sister, younger sister, or the twin sister of Sotha Sil?
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for doing this for the upcoming episode! I have a couple questions I'm very curious about:
    • Is the part of the Clockwork City that was visited in the Tribunal DLC back in 2002 part of the Cogitum Centralis, or another area?
    • When was Sotha Sil born? (If not what year, what century of the First Era is good enough)
    • What was the name of Sotha Sil's mother? What about his lover? (Both of their voices are heard in the Mnemonic Planisphere)
    • When was Ald Sotha destroyed? (Approximate century is good enough)
    • Could the location of the City ever move? Given that it's location was discovered in the Morrowind Chapter, could Sotha Sil re-locate it to the swamps in the south part of the province?
    • Why does Sotha Sil's mask only cover half his face?
    • Why does the projection of St. Nerevar at the Elegiac Replication wear regular Ancient elvish armor?
    • Who provided the voices for the Factotums?

Oooh, this is a very good question:
    Trainwiz wrote: »
    Was Sotha Nall the older sister, younger sister, or the twin sister of Sotha Sil?

Edited by TheRimOfTheSky on October 13, 2017 1:47AM
  • Trainwiz
    Trainwiz
    ✭✭
    Thank you all so much for doing this for the upcoming episode! I have a couple questions I'm very curious about:
    • Is the part of the Clockwork City that was visited in the Tribunal DLC back in 2002 part of the Cogitum Centralis, or another area?
    • When was Sotha Sil born? (If not what year, what century of the First Era is good enough)
    • When was Ald Sotha destroyed? (Approximate century is good enough)
    • What was the name of Sotha Sil's mother? What about his lover? (Both of their voices are heard in the Mnemonic Planisphere)
    • Could the location of the City ever move? Given that it's location was discovered in the Morrowind Chapter, could Sotha Sil re-locate it to the swamps in the south part of the province?
    • Why does the projection of St. Nerevar at the Elegiac Replication wear regular Ancient elvish armor?
    • Who provided the voices for the Factotums?

Oooh, this is a very good question:
    Trainwiz wrote: »

The Factotum voice is pretty well answered
    That's Sotha Nall, his sister. Her soul also seems to be a component of AIOS, the AI that runs the city.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit would like to know why there appears to be no tavern in Slag Town itself?

The poorest deserve to drown their woes in cheap ale no? Would not some enterprising person have considered profiting from their misery as is usually the case?

Were there a suitable small building available then Khajiit would happily step in and remedy this situation if she could yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Hinty hinty - small or medium Slag Town dwelling would be most conducive to good business for this one.
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey and thanks for having a lore show! I have some questions!

1)There's various sources saying that black soul gems were discovered by various other people e.g. Mannimarco. Who did invent the soul gems then? Sotha Sil or Mannimarco? Or someone else?

2) Wasn't containing the souls of the 3 Saints considered a major no-no by Sotha Sil's followers? Let's say the rest of the Dunmer never found out since they never visited the Clockwork City but the ones who knew surely must have had some kind of doubts about their God?

3) So are fabricants a meld of flesh and machine? They are similar or more advanced version of the various clockwork constructs which we assume are just metal?

4) What kind of metal does Sotha Sil use?

5) It is pretty clear both in--game and out that Sotha Sil took inspiration from the Dwemer regarding his machines but evolved in a different direction both stylistically and conceptually. The dwemer constructs often have soul gems in them to power them but Sotha Sil seems to have gone a step further and actually incorporate the souls of the actual beings such as the case of the 3 Saints. Is this some form of lichdom?

6) Do fabricants also have soul gems to power them? Or is their melding of flesh and metal meant to substitute the power source and effectively make them more autonomous?

I have more questions but I don't want to write a wall of text here!
    Thank you !

"If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • TERMINAT0R_XVII
    TERMINAT0R_XVII
    ✭✭✭
    Is it sotha sil's intention to try to revive the dewmer race by making the fabricants and autonomous biomechanical people?
    Xbox one NA server
    Current CP level: 481
    Main= Clan-Mother Ra'Zaria: Khajiit Dragonknight EP (Toxic Shock Build)
    Hlevala Redoran: Dark elf Sorcerer DC (Daedric Sorcerer Build)(race subject to change)
    Tsudajiti-Ri: Level 23 Kajiit Nightblade AD (Magicka, 3 hit ko Build)
    Tulara Ayrenn: High Elf Templar DC (Right Hand of Mara Build)
    One-Who-Breaks-Mountains: Argonian Templar EP (Left Hand of Mara Build)
    Lillca Boulder-Child: Nord Dragonknight EP (Indominable Tank Build)(no purge)
    Logranka-Gra-Orsinium: Level Orc Dragonknight AD (Volcanic Incineration Build)
    Nivinora Night-Hollow: Wood Elf Nightblade DC (Jaqspur Build)(bow abilities only)
    High Queen Atmorra: Level 10 Redguard Templar EP (Tireless Stamplar)
    Rakkiza Mane-Sister: Level 7 Khajiit nightblade DC (in progress)
    Vavakra Telvanni: Level 36 Dunmer Warden AD (in progress) (race subject to change)
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the factotum bards crappily playing songs off-key and wheezy (for the flute) Sotha Sil's idea of a joke?

Minor spoiler about Sotha Sil, like really almost inconsequential but people care anyway:
    Has he always been that *** tall or did he, ah, make adjustments? Dude is like a full head taller than my Altmer.

• Trainwiz
    Trainwiz
    ✭✭
    Is it sotha sil's intention to try to revive the dewmer race by making the fabricants and autonomous biomechanical people?

If Truth in Sequence is any indication, Sotha Sil wants the dwemer as gone as can possibly be gone, and with good reason.
  • AtAfternoon
    AtAfternoon
    ✭✭✭
    Why are there no Khajiit or Argonian apostles?? Like the only ones I've seen are just slummin in, well, the slums or do menial work as smiths or something.

I'm curious about an Argonians take on Sotha Sil's teachings as well.

IIRC, Sotha Sil rejects the existence of Padomay, while your average Argonian would have the polar opposite view, that Sithis is the one thing that is for certain.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The poorest deserve to drown their woes in cheap ale no?

@SantieClaws
    *raises glass*

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the lore, is Sotha Sil hiding any good Templar buffs in Clockwork City? Maybe a set of mechanical spears with proper CC functionality or a mystical energy source enabling sustained combat? Maybe Sotha Sil has unlocked the divine secret of applying Empower to DoTs and channeled abilities so it can actually be useful in our toolkit?
  • EttinTheBreton
    EttinTheBreton
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great show :) Lawrence should start an ESO lore podcast!
    I stream ESO sometimes! Check my channel for this week's schedule: twitch.tv/EttinTheBreton
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great show :) Lawrence should start an ESO lore podcast!

I would absolutely listen to that.