The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Giants

Eporem
Eporem
✭✭✭
Sinmur is one. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Sinmur

Are there any other named Giants and is it known if Phynaster was a giant as well.

Phynaster

Hero-god of the Summerset Isles, who taught the Altmer how to naturally live another hundred years by using a shorter walking stride. He is worshipped by both the Altmer and Bretons,[ as well as the Snow Elves. He also created the Ring of Phynaster to help him survive his adventurous life.

He was one of the ancestor spirits of the upper castes of the Aldmer who would eventually become worshipped by their entire society.

another question of the Giants:) from this:

They have places set aside as sacred burial grounds, such as Secunda's Kiss in Skyrim.[13] When a Giant is sick or dying, he or she goes to one of these places to die. If a Giant dies elsewhere, other Giants make sure the body gets to the burial ground. They typically don't live near these sacred locations, and they don't guard them. They simply make use of them.

Would they have a connection to the Moon that is named Secunda.

Edited by Eporem on October 7, 2017 12:07AM
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What about that made you think that Phynaster was a giant? It literally says he was an Aldmeri Ancestor Spirit.. So it is 100% known that is was not a giant.

As far as we know, Giants have no connection to the moons. Secunda's Kiss was not named such by the giants (they don't speak Tamrielic), it would have been named by the nords. It makes sense as a name, from that hillside you could probably see the moons rise over the plains of Whiterun (and the nearby Lunar Forge, so perhaps there's a connection there).

Shagrol is a named giant in Skyrim ("The Cursed Tribe" Daedric quest). And there are numerous named giants in eso. But if you mean in books and historical lore, then I don't think that there are very many.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The wiki page for giants has links for a lot of named individuals, but Matriarch Runa of the Maelstrom Arena is notable for being female and the Lonely Giant is noteworthy for speaking a little Tamerilic. Apparently back in Daggerfall Giantish used to be a thing, it's kind of a pity that was never really expanded on. I think the closest ESO comes to acknowledging it is that one quest in Eastmarch where you direct the giant to knock on trees and get flung into the fort.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    What about that made you think that Phynaster was a giant?

Truthfully? when I read about how he taught the Aldmer how to live another hundred years by using a shorter walking stride, an image of a Giant and how they walk came to my mind:)

I am just wondering how they too came to be. In my head I keep thinking that all we see and know on Nirn came from only two previous worlds. Maybe this is wrong thinking?

• Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »

Truthfully? when I read about how he taught the Aldmer how to live another hundred years by using a shorter walking stride, an image of a Giant and how they walk came to my mind:)

I am just wondering how they too came to be. In my head I keep thinking that all we see and know on Nirn came from only two previous worlds. Maybe this is wrong thinking?

Are you referring to Oblivion and Aetherius? That is not really correct, Mundus was created separately from theses two, it did not "come" from them.

If you believe the book you referenced earlier, the giants are a splinter group of Atmoran Nedes that separated from the Nords. Of course we know this isn't true, as the author claims that this is because the Atmorans were Giant-sized, and we have examples of their armor and weapons showing that they were the same size as current day Nords.

As far as we know Giants came to be the same way as any other creatures on Nirn: they either evolved on their own, or were created by the Aedra/changed by the Daedra.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've always had a gut feeling that Ogres are merely Mer versions of Gigantism. What is gigantism in Elder Scrolls? I don't know but it could be a mutation like the Dunmer red eyes and ash skin, or Falmer blindness and overall goblin-y disgustingness.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

Are you referring to Oblivion and Aetherius? That is not really correct, Mundus was created separately from theses two, it did not "come" from them.

If you believe the book you referenced earlier, the giants are a splinter group of Atmoran Nedes that separated from the Nords. Of course we know this isn't true, as the author claims that this is because the Atmorans were Giant-sized, and we have examples of their armor and weapons showing that they were the same size as current day Nords.

As far as we know Giants came to be the same way as any other creatures on Nirn: they either evolved on their own, or were created by the Aedra/changed by the Daedra.

The Ehlnofey and the Hist were the two worlds I was referring to, from reading of them in the Anuad Paraphrased. It just seems to me that Nirn evolved from the memories held/remembered? of those that came from the Ehlnofey world and the Hist world. The giants to me seem like they would have been part of the 'old' Ehlnofey world - though how they were preceived there I have no idea.

http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/the-anuad-paraphrased-lorebook/

Meanwhile, life sprang up and flourished on the twelve worlds of creation. After many ages, Padomay returned to Time. He saw Creation and hated it. He swung his sword, shattering the twelve worlds in their alignment. Anu awoke and fought Padomay again. The long and furious battle ended with Anu as the victor. He cast aside the body of his brother, who he believed was dead, and attempted to save Creation by forming the remnants of the twelve worlds into one: Nirn, the world of Tamriel. As he was doing so, Padomay struck him through the chest with one last blow. Anu grappled with his brother and pulled them both outside of Time forever.

The blood of Padomay became the Daedra. The blood of Anu became the stars. The mingled blood of both became the Aedra (as evinced by their capacity for good and evil, as well as their greater affinity for earthly affairs than the Daedra, who have no connection to Creation.)

On the world of Nirn, all was chaos. The only survivors of the twelve worlds of Creation were the Ehlnofey and the Hist. The Ehlnofey are the ancestors of Mer and Men. The Hist are the trees of Argonia. Nirn originally was all land, interspersed with seas, but no oceans.

Edited by Eporem on October 7, 2017 7:10PM
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That is one creation myth, however nearly all of the others agree that Nirn itself wasn't formed until Lorkhan caused the Aedra to create it.

More on topic, nowhere in there does it mention giants. From what we know, giants are not of Aldmeri decent, nor are they likely to be of direct Nedic decent (there may or may not have been some mingling between Nedes and Giants, but we do not know) which means that they did not exist at the start of the world. Asking where giants came form isn't any different than asking where bears came from, or trolls. Giants are simply a part of the natural world, albeit slightly more intelligent than most creatures. In general there is very little know about giants, but what we do know does not indicate that they are anything more than big grunting mammoth herders.
    I've always had a gut feeling that Ogres are merely Mer versions of Gigantism. What is gigantism in Elder Scrolls? I don't know but it could be a mutation like the Dunmer red eyes and ash skin, or Falmer blindness and overall goblin-y disgustingness.

We know that Ogres are related to Malacath. Considering the similarities they could even be cursed giants, but of course that's just speculation.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Would the following be what is known to be certain of the Giants. Would there be anything else known of them?

Sinmur the Giant: Was around during the Merethic era - a chieftan leading hundreds of his kin. - though not known for certain if he was a half-giant or full fledged.

Giants are known for painting symbols on trees and rocks, in some, sprial symbols are seen etched in their skin

Giants also demonstrate intricate beliefs regarding death. They have places set aside as sacred burial grounds. When a giant is sick or dying, he or she goes to one of these places to die. If a giant dies elsewhere, other giants make sure the body gets to the burial ground. They don't live near these sacred locations, and they don't guard them. They simply make use of them.

They are very protective of their Mammoths

They are wanderers, seen throughout all of Tamriel

Some can speak a little Tamriellic.

Female Giants exist.

Their weapons are clubs made by them and they wear little armor.

Their appearance is such in ESO

OnEs2Aw.jpg

a little note found

[img][/img]dKrkbPd.jpg

Edited by Eporem on October 28, 2017 1:29PM
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try this:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Giants:_A_Discourse

Or let this out-of-game source blow your mind (about half way down in the text):
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/fight-six-911th-cow
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Ehlnofey and the Hist were the two worlds I was referring to, from reading of them in the Anuad Paraphrased. It just seems to me that Nirn evolved from the memories held/remembered? of those that came from the Ehlnofey world and the Hist world. The giants to me seem like they would have been part of the 'old' Ehlnofey world - though how they were preceived there I have no idea.

@Eporem Curious if you've read The Monomyth? There's nothing really giant-related in it but it's got some bits in it I think you might find of interest, since you've read through the Anuad Paraphrased.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently back in Daggerfall Giantish used to be a thing, it's kind of a pity that was never really expanded on.

Daggerfall had a bunch of language skills. The idea is somewhat interesting. If you had a mechanic like No Man's Sky, where the higher your language score, the more you'd understand of what they were saying. But, the actual mechanic simply rolled a dice each time you encountered a member of the selected race, and determined if it was hostile to you.

So, there was this bizarre situation where you could make enemies non-hostile simply because you spoke their language. It was also, kinda, a noob trap, because the only value would be when interacting with that class of enemy.

Now, with the way Skyrim worked, without class skills, and with the idea of subbing out letters and words (even on a straight 1:1 replacement cypher, and ignoring how unrealistic that is), it could be a cool concept to revisit. Might even work well on various existing races, to emphasize that they have their own cultures, even if they normally speak common Tamerilic.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

Or let this out-of-game source blow your mind (about half way down in the text):
    https://www.imperial-library.info/content/fight-six-911th-cow

Really enjoyed this writing of Fight-six-911th-cow and how things were explained especially the painting of the cows and how the swirls were used to communicate. Maybe a memory stone of Aless will find its way into ESO one day:)
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

@Eporem Curious if you've read The Monomyth? There's nothing really giant-related in it but it's got some bits in it I think you might find of interest, since you've read through the Anuad Paraphrased.

I have read The Monomyth a few times - I imagine it to be a way to show that all creation beliefs, at their very base, are the same.

and because I think of the twelve worlds of creation I wonder if Mythic Aurbis was where these 'other 12 worlds' were created and from these only the Ehlnofey and The Hist came to be when the Mortal Aurbis was created. This wonder though would have the Hist created there as well.

Do any others have thoughts or speculations of this?

Edited by Eporem on October 14, 2017 12:25PM