Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Max Writ Item Level Reward - Glitch In Writ Reward Or Just Display Glitch? Or a feature?

SpAEkus
SpAEkus
✭✭✭✭
Hello All,

I was trying to answer a crafting question for a player and thought I had the answer, but my attempt to verify in-game gave a strange result.

The question was why the player was still receiving "Level 5 Rewards" (their description) from a MAX Level Normal Writ in BS-WW-Cloth.
Before confirming an answer I wanted to check in-game unless something had changed.

My hunch was that they simply didn't have the full 10/10 Material Passive even though their Craft Skill was 50. That should have precluded them even receiving a Max Level X Writ. The only other option, that I didn't remember being in play, was that a Writ Reward item level could also be set by Character Level, the same as Loot Drops.

So the questions are:

Q. Is the Normal Writ reward Item-level ever set by character level in anyone's experience? Or has anyone else seen this issue as an occasional glitch?

Q. Are Writ Reward Item level stats random and not set according to the Displayed Base Item level (CP150/160)? Some of the CP150 items below have CP160 stats, unless UESP needs a minor update.

And below, the test results (Live, Current patch, NA):

First Test, Level 21 Character, BS-WW-Cloth Skill Level 50, 10/10 All Material Passives. Writs Completed with Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter. I do have some Item Stat Addons but the results are within norms except where noted.

Received all 3 Max Level Writs, Items crafted all Rubedite/Ancestor Silk
C1.jpg
C2.jpg

Turn-in received all Level X Crafting Case/Satchel/Crate:
C3A.jpg

Clothier and Woodworker writs rewarded CP150 items, L50 Unwearable. But note the Armor Stats are actually CP160 if UESP is up to date.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ancestor_Silk_Armor
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Shields)
C3.jpg
C4.jpg

But Blacksmith rewarded L21, but notice the stats represent CP160 item (http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Rubedite_Armor). If it is actually L21, the max Armor should be between 378-410 (http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Steel_Armor) shouldn't it?
I don't remember Gear being Battle-Leveled like stats, unless I missed that patch note.
C5.jpg

If I move those Gauntlets to an actual CP160+ Character they revert to Steel Armor Stat Range. If I move them back to L21 they revert to L21/1210.
C8.jpg

I duplicated the test on another L14 Character, but they received a CP160 Item in BS. L50 Unwearable. And again showing CP160 stat instead of CP150.
C7.jpg

I also moved the L21 character CP150 Robe to my CP160+ Character just to make sure it wasn't a L21 actual item with a different tooltip glitch but it remained CP150/1204. When I put it back on the L21, it reverts to 1220.
C9.jpg

This was too convoluted to try bugging in-game so I brought it here for any insights and whether it might be a serious issue that we need to get to ZOS for a fix.

Edited by SpAEkus on October 6, 2017 9:55PM
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you actually open the boxes? IIRC, some things may look different in vs. out of the reward box.
    edit: i'll respec some non-vet recipe runner tomorrow and try the same.
    Edited by helediron on October 6, 2017 10:35PM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, look at the pictures that show "withdraw" and "Items". Those are during moving the actual items between characters.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With level 37 crafter, professions at 50, gear profession passives at 10/10, i got these gear rewards:
    - Ancestor Silk Shoes, intricate, CP150
    - Hickory Bow, intricate, level 37
    - Rubedite Sabatons, ornate, CP150

So yes, they are inconsistent. Armor values matched what craft table showed. if i had made it by myself.

Only explanation i can think of, is that they roll the rewards same way new resource nodes are rolled (50% character level/50% craftin passive level).
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few more
    Crafter2, level 22, professions at 50, gear profession passives at 10/10
    - Steel Greaves, intricate, level 22
    - Hide Helmet, intricate, level 22
    - Oak Inferno Staff, ornate, level 22

Crafter3, level 22, professions at 50, gear profession passives at 10/10
    - Rubedite Dagger, ornate, CP150
    - Linen Jerkin, ornate, level 22
    - Ruby Ash Lightning Staff, intricate, CP150

These suggest that gear rewards are rolled 50%/50% to either character level or crafting passive level.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey thanks for more testing. I was going to re-test with all addons off just in case but it looks like we both see the same thing.

I guess now it might deserve discussion with ZOS on whether this should be this way. The system separates the craft skills from the character level in this and requires us to expend the max tier of materials and skill levels for these but will not always return a maximum tier reward.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Can you pass this to the crafting team and see if this was always meant to be the mechanic. I've been doing these writs so quickly that I have missed this until I actually focused on it. And can you ask them to entertain whether a maximum level writ should not always give a maximum level item reward, at least as far as weapons and armor rewards.

Edited by SpAEkus on October 7, 2017 3:58PM
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur that this is a bug. The rewards should be only highest level because the writs consume highest level materials. This isn't same thing as picking resources for crafting gear to my character.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its not a bug just because you dont think you should get rewards applicable to the characters level. i get 25 mats for a lvl below what i spent, thats not a bug either though mostly those are useless
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »
    its not a bug just because you dont think you should get rewards applicable to the characters level. i get 25 mats for a lvl below what i spent, thats not a bug either though mostly those are useless
    You seem to be confused here about what is for writ mats recycling and what is for personal crafting.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    You seem to be confused here about what is for writ mats recycling and what is for personal crafting.

the only thing im confused about is wtf you just said.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »

the only thing im confused about is wtf you just said.
    Important part of writs is that they return back mats and items that will be recycled for next writs. That way they are more time sink instead of materials sink. They are dailies after all. Recycling rewards are survey maps and gear. The gear is either ornate or intricate. Intricate gives significantly more mats in deconstruction than other traits. Ornates are sold for gold which can be used for further mats purchases or taken out as profit.

The lower level mats are different thing. They were added in One Tamriel for crafters to have some way to gain lower level mats for crafting personal gear. The real reward is the survey map and lower level shipments are added only when the reward is absent.