Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

all quests feel... the same?

craybest
craybest
✭✭✭✭✭
all quests are presented in the same way and it really gets old after a while doing them. you speak to npc, who explains his/her problem and there you go.
even the story personal quests work like this. why isn't there more cinematics where we can see our character like the ending of the story quest?
we have this amazingly detailed character creator, but it would help a lot to see our characters in small cinematics like that one for other quests, maybe only for character story quests but still... it's some variation from the "talk here, kill that, bring that" quests we have.
  • Orjix
    Orjix
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an MMO, it's (more than likely) never going to get that, quests are ment to be consumed, not immersed into.
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP completely. This game's primary mode of play is questing and it gets really old after a while. To the above poster, there are other MMOs who use cinematics. WoW does this to good effect.
  • craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    most other MMOs I play do have some cutscenes for important quests. FFXIV, Secret world legends, even Champions Online and Neverwinter have some too.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah. most quests feel the same. especialliay the main story line. only sometimes tehre is a nice litle touch or a puzzle..
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh... I don't like cutscenes in games, or killcams for that matter, so I'm happy with the way ESO storytelling works.

The ending of Dark Brotherhood does a have cool scene/animation though.
    PC-EU
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    Meh... I don't like cutscenes in games, or killcams for that matter, so I'm happy with the way ESO storytelling works.

The ending of Dark Brotherhood does a have cool scene/animation though.

I loved that scene. Just need more of it.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I call it arrow chasing. I blast through whatever the quest is. I rarely know what's going on. In my mind, it's not much different from farming materials.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    craybest wrote: »
    all quests feel... the same?.

I recommend going to Hew's Bane and starting the Thieves Guild quests out of Abah's Landing. Awesome quests that are refreshing, entertaining, and fun. Great characters in that quest too!

Aside from entertaining quests, other bonuses include:
    • Access to Thieves Guild Skill Line
    • Quest progression will naturally level your Legerdemain
    • Access to Heists which guarantee Thieves Guild Armor Motif drops (coolest looking armor in the game)
    • Acquisition of countless pardon edicts that will assist you in Dark Brotherhood content and any other thieving/murdering activities you may do

Following Thieves Guild, I would recommend Dark Brotherhood for similar reasons. You may also wish to do the opening quest of Dark Brotherhood first so that you get Blade of Woe, a unique synergy that pops any time you sneak up on a normal mob--instant one-shot/kill with built in Assassin's Creed-style animation. Will serve you well in some of the Thieves Guild content.

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a few exceptions (a fair amount of delve quests, for example, are pretty interesting). Some zone story quests are more complex/involved, too. And most DLC quests are better.

The "questing hub" quests everywhere are pretty lackluster mechanically, but often have decent writing if you consume them in small doses. I actually really enjoy questing in this game, but only for about an hour--If I keep questing after that I end up just clicking through mindlessly.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • socivL
    socivL
    ✭✭✭
    you aren't suppose to notice that
    2 templars - 1 cup
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read or listen to the NPCs , this is what makes each quest different IMO. The actions that you perform in a quest may be shared from one quest to another. For example kill this or collect that. It is really the stories of the NPCs that make the quests feel different. If you are the type of players that skips all the dialogue and just performs the actions, yes it will feel extremely repetitive.

The first character I leveled back in 2015. I played in first person and really got involved in the dialogue. This was the most fun I ever had leveling a character in this game via questing. I was not concerned with how fast I leveled becasue I was playing day one on XBOX One. I just wanted to enjoy the game and see what it had to offer and give all the details that were added to the game a chance.

My first character is the only character I have ever completed all quests in all realms with. I do not quest the same way with any other character if at all. I typically just power level and move on with all my other characters I have ever leveled. Still complete the skill point quests but I never go back and read the dialogue.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are "cutscenes" of sort. they are just ingame things, at your character level , that you can skip seamlessly if you are not paying attention. but there are npc's that come up,. perform various actions, playing out the scene - WITH voiced dialogue. i actualy love it that its within the game, rather then a little mini cartoon. you just have to stay around and watch it happen. some of them made me laugh, some made me cry. the presentation is more subtle as your screen doesn't suddenly change, but its there.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i do read quests and listen to the speechs, it's true that it gives each one some personality, but still it's only so many you can do before it starts feeling repetitive and boring. i don't think I've ever played more than 1-2 hours because of this.
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clearly you’ve never had to Collect Bear Hides (0/25) multiple times in the same region.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer them alot to "Collect 25 Gnolleyes" esp, when it turns out that only every 3rd gnoll has one eye and the others seem to be fine without. Those games stopped being fun when i leveled up high enough to get the good quests: "Find 100 <rare drop> from rare bossmonster."
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the vMA daily quest ... that one will feel different.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    I call it arrow chasing. I blast through whatever the quest is. I rarely know what's going on. In my mind, it's not much different from farming materials.

I do read the quest dialogues, at least once because I love questing, theoretically. The arrow chasing is just lame though. Go find this mythical artifact in this long lost tomb that has been forgotten for centuries: just follow the arrow that shows you exactly where.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree that "arrow-chasing" gets old. I would say there should be more diverse challenges than just kill-mob/fetch-item. However, just about every time they put a puzzle in the game, they screw it up. It's either absurdly easy or the clues are too obscure or even just plain wrong. There's one in Hew's Bane, for example, that pretty clearly tells you to do X to the North pillar and Y to the South, except that's exactly backwards.

Perhaps they should just stick to having us kill things and play fetch.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we have this amazingly detailed character creator

Are we playing the same game? I mean sure it’s “amazingly detailed” if you compare to DCUO’s atrocious character creator. But it’s just a bunch of left-right sliders, many of which hardly change anything.
  • craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    definitely playing a different game then. my sliders all change things around. i don't know what you're talking about...
  • crjs1
    crjs1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. This is my first MMO so I’m still quite stuck in single player mindset and basically questing makes up about 90% of my play time and the arrow chasing is starting to grate... when I think of quests in Witcher or even Skyrim I just sigh as they seemed to have more depth. Though I know they are very different games and I’m still loving ESO. A bit more depth and variety would be good though.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all quests are presented in the same way and it really gets old after a while doing them. you speak to npc, who explains his/her problem and there you go.
    even the story personal quests work like this. why isn't there more cinematics where we can see our character like the ending of the story quest?
    we have this amazingly detailed character creator, but it would help a lot to see our characters in small cinematics like that one for other quests, maybe only for character story quests but still... it's some variation from the "talk here, kill that, bring that" quests we have.

You're pretty much describing how every rpg (MMO and Single player) game works. You mention more cut scenes, yet it dramatically increases the cost of the games production cost while adding very little to the quality of the gameplay.
    Final fantasy games often have way too many cut scenes for my liking.
    But, unlike most MMO's, if you stopped and paid attention to the dialog you would realize that there is a depth of lore in the game you are ignoring.