Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Non-Combat Quests

Zhaedri
Zhaedri
✭✭✭✭
This may seem a strange post. I am looking for quests to do that do not involve any unavoidable. This is for an experimental 'non combat character' that I am trying to level without fighting anyone. Just to see if it can be done.

Specifically, the quests:
-Must not require combat of any sort to complete; there must be alternate ways of doing it that do not involve fighting anything. Running away, sneaking, using persuade, or using intimidate are all valid ways of getting around any minor combat -if necessary-.
-Must not have a requirement of a quest that requires unavoidable combat beforehand

So far:
-Crafting quests
-Introduction to Cyrodiil
-Cyrodiil Scouting Missions
-Receiving and delivering something for 'Treethane Exports' in Grahtwood (running away from the Kwama that jumps out of the box)
-"Do you want to make some gold, walker?" in Wayrest, using persuade and intimidate to avoid combat, and paying off the last debt.
-Tracking down the dude's pig in Daggerfall and running away when the guy jumps out after I discover the pig eating a weird vine.
-The Labyrinth in Greenshade. Just a bunch of walking around following floating text.
-In Ebonheart stealing a bottle of wine. I went with flash-powder instead of the lizards.
-Theif guild starter quest (waiting on level 20 for better use of invisibility potion to escape draugr and giant spider)
-Theif guild tip board (all just chests and pickpockets, but need to do the starter quest first)
-Redfur Trading Post starting with the khajiit trying to get out of being arrested by the guard. The treasure can be reached without combat by sneaking around the outside of the two senche statues and running up the stairs.

Do you know/have any others?
@Zhaedri PC NA

• menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 'The Frozen Man' on Bleakrock Isle (link to UESP webpage). A low-level quest and quite an interesting one. If you time it right you can probably negotiate the few bears that live in the caves.

From the same starting island, you could also do 'Underfoot' and 'Lost on Bleakrock'. I think both side quests would present themselves without having to do any killing beforehand. There is one other side quest - 'At Frost's Edge', but slightly more tricky to complete without attracting attention.

Best of luck with this. It sounds fascinating. I've tried to do something kind of similar with a character I wanted to play as a nature-loving old mage, but avoiding killing creatures is borderline impossible.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Zhaedri
    Zhaedri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oooh I didn't even think about the quests on starter islands! Thank you!!

So far I've managed to get her to level 17 without killing anyone. It has involved a lot of running away, sneaking, and being creative with how to get certain things. Skyshards can be hard (useful for the crafting skills) as several are guarded by mobs... but they are also common enough for people to seek that just kind of hanging out and letting someone else kill or draw them away is alright.

A lot of XP also comes from exploring locations and wayshrines. I'm expecting this endeavor to become much more difficult after level 20, though the thief guild quests will help. Just endless grinding of the few endlessly repeatable quests as well as crafting dailies. The little miniquests by the side of the road are good too -- paying the beggars, lighting the campfires, convincing the bosmer not to kill the khajiit that ate a flower. I'm sure there are others. Lockboxes also give XP.

Eventually I'd like to do a guide to a non-combat character. The levelling is sloooow but it is fascinating to puzzle my way around the XP gain. I want to prove it is possible to level to 50 without having to kill a mob.
    Edited by Zhaedri on September 29, 2017 1:15AM
    @Zhaedri PC NA

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know how many you find! We've been trying to put together a list of quests like this over at http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Pacifist_Quests, but it's not going very quickly...
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp