The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Building dedicated Budget PC for ESO

Barbecuesaus
Barbecuesaus
Soul Shriven
Hello

Intro
Thanks for checking my forum post =) its my first
Ive been enjoying ESO with my Girlfriend a lot the last couple of months.
So we do questing and a couple of dungeons. SO im not sure wich activities in this game are the most taxing on the Pc's hardware.

Current systems / specs:
I play the game with a decent:
Asus ROG Strix GL553VW-DM059T
Running between 50-60 fps outdoors on high-preset settings with AA and Vsync off
My Gf plays on her
Macbook Air early 2015
around a 30-40 Fps on low-medium custom settings with viewdistance at 50 quite surprising actualy

Anyhow, ive got a old Desktop pc ive build in 2010 i wish to upgrade for ESO
Specs:

Amd Phenom 960T 3,0 Ghz
Asrock 870Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB Ram
XFX HD 6870 1024 MB DDR5
WD Black SATA 6 Gb/s 1TB
Adata HM-650Watt PSU
Aerocool Vx-R Case

Running Windows 10 Pro =)
The performance is terrible, the game runs better on my Girlfriend Macbook Air , because ESO is being so CPU hungry i read a lot

Upgrade plan

I would like to purchase a CPU + Mobo+Ram first on a budget
The thing i cannot figure out is if ESO can run as good on a duel core as on a quad core.
Because the game seems to run better on a i5 5250U on the macbook then it does on the Phenom 960T on the old desktop.
Causing me to assume i would be better of to purchase a high clocked duel core like the i3 7100 or even the i3 7350K
Before considering a i5 7400 , wich is very close in pricing to the i3 7350K
MOney-wise i cant seem to get some clear answhere or answhere searching the forums and youtube videos with
I hope some of you can help me decide if a duel core would work for building a budget friendly ESO gaming PC

My gf only played World of Warcraft and ESO , nothing fancy needed.
I just want to build something for her to game on instead of the macbook air :persevere:

Edited by Barbecuesaus on September 22, 2017 7:52AM
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    A fast dual-core CPU like an i3 can handle many games just fine -- relatively few games are heavily multithreaded. Speed and memory efficiency are most important. PCPartPicker and other online sources can show you good example builds for value PCs that aren't gimped for gaming. Consider a build with a separate video card, though. Don't rely on onboard "integrated" graphics for games.

Whatever hardware you choose, make sure the video card is modern enough to support DirectX11 for ESO, which also means you'll need a reasonably modern Windows OS. Windows 10 has a few annoyances, but it does run games very well -- it does a better job managing memory and CPU threads -- enough that the recent bout of ESO crashes and instability haven't been quite as bad on Win10 by some accounts.
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭
    I can run ESO fine with a Q6700 (11 year old quad core) with 8gb of ram and a Titan Xm with a few settings like particles turned down otherwise all ultra (35-170 fps dependent on area) any quad core cpu should be fine (intel) but if you can go for an i7/i5 (i7s last a lot longer with the extra power)

Edit: I'd say gpu upgrade (might) be enough at least a 780 970 1060 as eso uses over the 1gb of vram your card has (uses closer to 3gb)
    Edited by DanStartheFirst on September 25, 2017 11:18PM
  • Barbecuesaus
    Barbecuesaus
    Soul Shriven
    I can run ESO fine with a Q6700 (11 year old quad core) with 8gb of ram and a Titan Xm with a few settings like particles turned down otherwise all ultra (35-170 fps dependent on area) any quad core cpu should be fine (intel) but if you can go for an i7/i5 (i7s last a lot longer with the extra power)

Edit: I'd say gpu upgrade (might) be enough at least a 780 970 1060 as eso uses over the 1gb of vram your card has (uses closer to 3gb)

You think my Phenom x4 960T at 3ghz can handle ESO?

I honestly didnt expect that as a reply, after reading so much forums with posts about ESO being so heavy single threaded.
    To be honest the game seems to run better on a Intel HD 6000 then my old ATI 6870 dedicated card with 1gb VRam

But comparing a Q6700 agains AMD doesnt sound like a good comparison.
    Some games run better on intel instead of AMD , perhaps ESO does aswell?
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered running an AMD A10 Kaveri APU instead of an Intel processor? If you go this route you could eventually upgrade your graphics card to a R9 390 and crossfire it with the R7 APU Graphics.
    Edited by xRIVALENx on September 29, 2017 12:30PM
  • Barbecuesaus
    Barbecuesaus
    Soul Shriven
    xRIVALENx wrote: »
    Have you considered running an AMD A10 Kaveri APU instead of an Intel processor? If you go this route you could eventually upgrade your graphics card to a R9 390 and crossfire it with the R7 APU Graphics.

No

Ive heard that intel is the way to go, when it comes to performance.
    Does ESO support crossfire?