The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Confusing information about 'offensive content'

Heathenpride
Heathenpride
✭✭✭
Good morning.

RE: Reference # 170821-001095

I am seeking clarification on an issue I have had with a character name. As you can see, from the attachments, I have been advised that my character name (Natassja) was offensive due to containing the word 'ass'.

A name change token was provided and I was advised, in no uncertain terms, that the matter was dealt with and the decision final.

Whilst I appreciate that I must express confusion on 3 points:

1. The Assassins League style contains this word, twice in succession.
2. There is a quest called 'Assisting the Assistant' which also contains the usage of the word twice.
3. In your customer service reply the word was used in the spelling of the word 'Assure'.

I am seeking to understand the reasoning behind this please? I was somewhat annoyed and that led to some sarcasm, and a little facetiousness, but I have calmed down now and merely wish to understand precisely what was the issue considering that you guys use the word in quests and other game content?

Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.

x5smbi7ny5ks.png
8i70n8lgrkyq.png

Looking for a good NA PS4 guild that offers a bit of everything? New to the game and lost? Need some guidance and help?
Look no further, Ebonheart Guild of Shadow has been here since launch and we got you!
PSN message Heathenpride for an invite.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    31374165.jpg

Nastassja Kinski. Beautiful and talented.

That's all I can say to a situation that leaves me quite speechless.
    I would understand if a robot was writing to you... but a humanbeing ... ?
    Shame on ZOS.

I think you made the right move by talking about it heren and hopefully @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom will do something for you. It's simply too ridiculous.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 28, 2017 8:19PM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is so strange. "I assure you we are indeed serious". It's like an april fools.
    PC | EU
  • Heathenpride
    Heathenpride
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed it is somewhat perplexing. The use of the word on its own, and in offensive context, is something I can appreciate but this is a name so it was confusing. I probably could have handled it better but I tend to drip with sarcasm when annoyed LOL
    Looking for a good NA PS4 guild that offers a bit of everything? New to the game and lost? Need some guidance and help?
    Look no further, Ebonheart Guild of Shadow has been here since launch and we got you!
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree.

I've seen names like Ufuqinwitme and nothing happens to them.....

Irl Ass is not offensive anymore - it's not a compliment but it's kind of like - mediocre now

Besides - an ass is a type of 4 legged animal
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was probably computer generated event.
    i wouldn't take it too strongly.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is true it is ridiculous without a doubt. There is nothing in that name that even mildly indicates the name is intended to be read or taken as bringing a hidden meaning.

The person who reported you was childish. The person who made the decision has no business making any decisions. I would laugh if it was no so clearly absurd.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom Seriously, the above, if true, is just silly.
  • Heathenpride
    Heathenpride
    ✭✭✭

It happened when I responded in zone, jokingly, with a URL that was fake (the context of that was clearly in jest). Obviously a GM spotted it and I got a warning (fair enough, I actually didn't know that was taboo but I guess it makes sense and I won't do it again) but then they did a forced name change so yeah I take it seriously. The humans responding made it clear that it was offensive so my question now is why is that the case given the examples above?
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    101-Ace-Ventura-Pet-Detective.gif
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened when I responded in zone, jokingly, with a URL that was fake (the context of that was clearly in jest). Obviously a GM spotted it and I got a warning (fair enough, I actually didn't know that was taboo but I guess it makes sense and I won't do it again) but then they did a forced name change so yeah I take it seriously. The humans responding made it clear that it was offensive so my question now is why is that the case given the examples above?

I don't think it was computer-generated.

My understanding is that the person who is talking to you has never heard of "Natassja" or "Nastassja" or similar names of russian origin/spelling. He simply doesn't know that they are actually common (or used to be). He probably genuinely thought you changed a standard name like "Natascha" as a wording trick or joke in order to emphasize on A** - in which case it would be a provocation and against the TOS.
    But the truth is, Natassja or Nastassja are normal names and noone familiar with them thinks of anything a**-related when using or hearing them.

• Heathenpride
    Heathenpride
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it was computer-generated.

My understanding is that the person who is talking to you has never heard of "Natassja" or "Nastassja" or similar names of russian origin/spelling. He simply doesn't know that they are actually common (or used to be). He probably genuinely thought you changed a standard name like "Natascha" as a wording trick or joke in order to emphasize on A** - in which case it would be a provocation and against the TOS.
    But the truth is, Natassja or Nastassja are normal names and noone familiar with them thinks of anything a**-related when using or hearing them.

If the word Assassin didn't widely appear in ESO that MIGHT be somewhat plausible. Might. I get what you're saying but still...
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF.gif ZOS, seriously? confused24.gif
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the word Assassin didn't widely appear in ESO that MIGHT be somewhat plausible. Might. I get what you're saying but still...

I'm not excusing them, they should really apologize and let you name your toon Natassja. I'm just trying to figure out what brain circuits can lead to something that ridiculous.

• Heathenpride
    Heathenpride
    ✭✭✭
    If this is true it is ridiculous without a doubt. There is nothing in that name that even mildly indicates the name is intended to be read or taken as bringing a hidden meaning.

The person who reported you was childish. The person who made the decision has no business making any decisions. I would laugh if it was no so clearly absurd.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom Seriously, the above, if true, is just silly.

I assure you sir, it is a thing. It happened...
  • Heathenpride
    Heathenpride
    ✭✭✭
    Two weeks and no reply in a support thread :|
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL - typical ZOS. Well I don't feel so bad about having to remove "***" from my character name now.....
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably get my self in trouble. But isn't a certain animal, in spoiler. Contains a certain "forbidden and out cast word?" I mean look at the synonyms. I agree, I don't see anything offensive in your name.

As well, when you gave valid points OP. I must admit I had to read your character name, several times. To fully understand, as to why your Character name is Offensive. As to my conclusion, I haven't seen any way, shape and Nor form. To see anything deemed offensive.
    Edited by Serjustin19 on September 14, 2017 2:57PM
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is some next level dumbassery.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Can we have someone look at this please? I don't think a properly spelled name is offensive.

Especially since ass is not sounded out in the various ways to pronounce the name

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/nastassja
    Edited by Nestor on September 15, 2017 8:13PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom Help this guy please
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got a mail from minion Pacrooti, the joke was:

rAZcOll.png

This is hypocritical, as this is a direct reference to buttocks. The OP's toon name is not.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Heathenpride
    Heathenpride
    ✭✭✭
    Two weeks later still.... Do they even read this section?
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Guild Leader And friend, was forced to change his. Character name, which I won't say. If I agree or not, with forced Character name change. It refers to a certain cat word. Which it also resembles his kajiit....
    Edited by Serjustin19 on September 27, 2017 5:05PM
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They havent read it because the crown crates are working just fine