The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I completed Maelstrom Arena but never got a maelstorm weapon, am i missing something ?

Waylander07
Waylander07
✭✭✭✭
After 3 years of playing this game (pvp mainly) i decided to finally try Maelstrom Arena to try and get a Maelstrom weapon but never got one after finishing the arena. I never noticed any choice to choose between normal or veteran so am a bit confused how you get these weapons. Sorry i am a noob when it comes to pve.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In group settings. Just like you would set a dungeon to veteran, you do the same for Maelstrom.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 3 years of playing this game (pvp mainly) i decided to finally try Maelstrom Arena to try and get a Maelstrom weapon but never got one after finishing the arena. I never noticed any choice to choose between normal or veteran so am a bit confused how you get these weapons. Sorry i am a noob when it comes to pve.

They only drop from veteran mode. To switch to veteran mode go into the "group" tab and you will have the option to switch between veteran and normal.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Waylander07
    Waylander07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »
    In group settings. Just like you would set a dungeon to veteran, you do the same for Maelstrom.

Thanks, i think it will probably be another 3 years before i try it again if that wasn't veteran as i think that may be beyond me at the moment lol. I died quite a few times and it cost me over 1.6k to repair my gear.
    Edited by Waylander07 on September 27, 2017 10:10AM
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep being at it, eventually watch a guide on how the mechanics of the different arenas work (if you dont know these, you will find yourself dying without really knowing why) and for a proper build for your class.
    When youve done that just keep trying and keep in mind, the second clear of maelstrom is MUCH easier than the first clear
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »

Thanks, i think it will probably be another 3 years before i try it again if that wasn't veteran as i think that may be beyond me at the moment lol. I died quite a few times and it cost me over 1.6k to repair my gear.

there is a lot of advice available here on the forums or in game.

if you have been playing PvP exclusivley then the chances are you are going to need some PvE gear/skills/cp distribution

if you want help ask if not get bk in PvP and have some fun ;)
  • Waylander07
    Waylander07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep being at it, eventually watch a guide on how the mechanics of the different arenas work (if you dont know these, you will find yourself dying without really knowing why) and for a proper build for your class.
    When youve done that just keep trying and keep in mind, the second clear of maelstrom is MUCH easier than the first clear

I will give it a try on vet, though my build is probably not great. I am a MDK and am using Silks of the Sun jewellery, weapon and shield, 5 Phoenix and the Mighty Chudan monster set. Not done much pve and just recently changed my gear to the Phoenix set instead of my usual Rattlcage for more sustainability as i only got 2.1k mag reg with my original build, now get 2.6k but do less dam. Thanks for the words of encouragement :)
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I will give it a try on vet, though my build is probably not great. I am a MDK and am using Silks of the Sun jewellery, weapon and shield, 5 Phoenix and the Mighty Chudan monster set. Not done much pve and just recently changed my gear to the Phoenix set instead of my usual Rattlcage for more sustainability as i only got 2.1k mag reg with my original build, now get 2.6k but do less dam. Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

phoenix & rattlecage wont benefit you much in PvE, your best defence in PvE is a good offence

put light Julianus on with your silks of the sun and 1 heavy monster piece that gives mag recovery, spell crit, max magic or health (you dont need the resistances of chauden)

double destro

searing strike is life

harness magic is your best friend

lightning wall of elements back bar & the whip morphed to power lash (lightning sets enemies off balance)
  • Waylander07
    Waylander07
    ✭✭✭✭
    bebynnag wrote: »

phoenix & rattlecage wont benefit you much in PvE, your best defence in PvE is a good offence

put light Julianus on with your silks of the sun and 1 heavy monster piece that gives mag recovery, spell crit, max magic or health (you dont need the resistances of chauden)

double destro

searing strike is life

lightning wall of elements back bar & the whip morphed to power lash (lightning sets enemies off balance)

Thanks, i will follow your advice and will also do some research on the bosses before i try it again. It is so different from pvp where i try to control fights with talons, Fossilize and if that doesn't work i def behind shield waiting on an opportunity to knock my opponent down with stone fist before striking with double whip and ultimate which has always worked well for me. I have a lot of work to do to get used to PVE tactics.
    Edited by Waylander07 on September 27, 2017 11:03AM
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

double destro

searing strike is life

Thanks, i will follow your advice and will also do some research on the bosses before i try it again. It is so different from pvp where i try to control fights with talons, Fossilize and if that doesn't work i def behind shield waiting on an opportunity to knock my opponent down with stone fist before striking with double whip and ultimate which has always worked well for me. I have a lot of work to do to get used to PVE tactics.

in PvP you never know what your going to face, and part of your success is being able to adapt to the situation

in PvE its a case of learn the mechanics

because the enemies are supposed* to do the same thing over & over again

in vMA knowing your character is as important as knowing the mechanics imho
    so if you have played a mDK for years you clearly know it inside and out, so running vMA would in some respects be easiest for you
    that said mag & stam sorcs are easiest to do vMA on so specking an alt out for vMA could be a good option for you this also means you can easily jump straigh bk in to PvP on your mDK when and as you choose without having to switch gear/morphs/cp etc

please remember that once you complete it for the 1st time all sunsequesnt runs become easier
    so getting the run /title/achievment on your main will be even easier with a vma staff on your bk bar if you level up a sorc & go for the easiest complete just to get your gear

*lag may be an issue depending on platform which can create some unexpected mechanics
    Edited by bebynnag on September 27, 2017 11:45AM
  • Letho2469
    Letho2469
    ✭✭✭✭
    MagDK is pretty hard in vMSA you definetely need to learn mechanics, especially in stage 5.
    that said mag & stam sorcs are easiest to do vMA on so specking an alt out for vMA could be a good option for you this also means you can easily jump straigh bk in to PvP on your mDK when and as you choose without having to switch gear/morphs/cp etc
    While gearing an alt is definetely a good way that I would recommend too, I don't agree to the class rankings.
    Magblade is by far the easiest class, due to a ridiculous self heal and sustain,top range and very good damage, but u need to practice using the spectral bow if you wanna burst *** down quickly.
    MagSorc is the 2nd easiest class as your shields will help you come out of many bad situations while dealing extremely high burst damage. Sustain can be an issue on long fights without adds, though, especially in the last stage.
    I don't recommend using stamina classes if you are a vMSA beginner, as you don't have shield buffers and need to know mechanics very well.
    Edited by Letho2469 on September 27, 2017 3:39PM
    Trial Progression:
    vAA: Hardmode
    vHRC: Hardmode
    vSO: Hardmode
    vMoL: Hardmode + dro-m'Athra-Destroyer
    vHoF: Hardmode + Tick Tock Tormentor
    vAS: Hardmode + Immortal Redeemer
    vCR: Hardmode + Gryphon Heart
    vSS: Hardmode
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Letho2469 wrote: »
    MagDK is pretty hard in vMSA you definetely need to learn mechanics, especially in stage 5.
    While gearing an alt is definetely a good way that I would recommend too, I don't agree to the class rankings.
    Magblade is by far the easiest class, due to a ridiculous self heal and sustain,top range and very good damage, but u need to practice using the spectral bow if you wanna burst *** down quickly.
    MagSorc is the 2nd easiest class as your shields will help you come out of many bad situations while dealing extremely high burst damage. Sustain can be an issue on long fights without adds, though, especially in the last stage.
    I don't recommend using stamina classes if you are a vMSA beginner, as you don't have shield buffers and need to know mechanics very well.

crit surge + hurricane is better than any shield in game though ;)
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    youre playing in my opinion the hardest class to beat vma with, good luck
  • Letho2469
    Letho2469
    ✭✭✭✭
    (...)
    crit surge + hurricane is better than any shield in game though ;)

1. You can easily be alpha'ed down, as the passive heal doesn't add to your max hp, shields give you a nice buffer.
    2. You need to be in range to make it count, shields are independent from range.
    3. The heal needs to tick, shields are topped to 100% right away (although if there is enough mobs, this point gets reversed, as you heal up passively and don't need to recast it in short fights; but 1. still applies^^)

Those are the reasons that make me judge magicka classes to be easier by far. If you compare a stam sorc to a mag warden ofc, things look different^^

SoLooney wrote: »
    youre playing in my opinion the hardest class to beat vma with, good luck
    Mag DK harder than a mag warden? Must try it^^
    Edited by Letho2469 on September 28, 2017 12:38PM
    Trial Progression:
    vAA: Hardmode
    vHRC: Hardmode
    vSO: Hardmode
    vMoL: Hardmode + dro-m'Athra-Destroyer
    vHoF: Hardmode + Tick Tock Tormentor
    vAS: Hardmode + Immortal Redeemer
    vCR: Hardmode + Gryphon Heart