The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

MagSorc vs greatsword user

Lord_Wrath
Lord_Wrath
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been a magsorc since launch bouncing in and out of Cyrodill. Lately I feel anytime im up against a greatsword user they can output so much damage so quickly I can't get a chance to cast healing ward as im dead before the game can register my health at 0. Typically im knocked back and insta-killed without a chance to break free, if not then im struggling to keep ward up for over a second so i can go on the offensive. Are all magsorcs this vulnerable?

A little about my build, i use shacklebreaker and alteration mastery. Typical sorc offense and defense skills. Buffed stats depending on tri food or witchmothers brew:
40k magica (11k shield) 2500-3100 recovery
15-20k stam 1150 recovery
1500 impen
21-25k health
20k resistance w boundless storm
Close to 10% CP ironclad, hardy, elemental defender and expert defender.
Edited by Lord_Wrath on September 26, 2017 11:09PM
1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psst%20nerf%20sorc_zpspvea6rvo.jpg
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Wrath wrote: »
    I've been a magsorc since launch bouncing in and out of Cyrodill. Lately I feel anytime im up against a greatsword user they can output so much damage so quickly I can't get a chance to cast healing ward as im dead before the game can register my health at 0. Typically im knocked back and insta-killed without a chance to break free, if not then im struggling to keep ward up for over a second so i can go on the offensive. Are all magsorcs this vulnerable?

A little about my build, i use shacklebreaker and alteration mastery. Typical sorc offense and defense skills. Buffed stats depending on tri food or witchmothers brew:
    1500 impen

What's your health? I once hit a mag sorc without his shield with an onslaught that crit for 17k, it 1 shot him. He was obviously running no crit resist but that was with 5 sword singer, 5 automaton 1 kena. I would imagine if someone ran clever alchemist they could produce higher.
    PvP needs more love.
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1500 impen

Do you use any other shields besides healing ward? Most sorcs are keeping hardened ward up 100% of time and seem to have little trouble with survivability.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BuildMan - Health sits 21-25k depending on bonuses and whatnot. The thought of sacrificing stats for health i feel would be minimal.

@TBois - Just healing and empowered. Maybe resistances help shields?
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BuildMan - Health sits 21-25k depending on bonuses and whatnot. The thought of sacrificing stats for health i feel would be minimal.

@TBois - Just healing and empowered. Maybe resistances help shields?

Hmm no clue then. Your very tanky for the average sorc. I would try swapping to hardened ward. You could also maybe run twilight and then you can have another form of healing.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops yea i meant hardened ward. I like the twilight heals but if healing ward doesn't register in time, would the twilight? Perhaps im just encountering macro users as from time to time you can see 2 heavy attacks used within a second along with other skills.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Macros can't override the cool down.

Try running harness too and stacking until you're comfortable with when you can get away with a single shield vs when you need 2.

There's a reason almost all sorcs run the same abilities.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im assuming based on your regen values (as you didnt type it) but you probs don't have enough dmg to pressure the stam guy hence they can just go full dmg on you.

Resists don't effect shields but damage mitigation does so you could try wizards riposte instead of alteration.

Also your cp doesn't look optimised.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on September 27, 2017 9:57AM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Defensively, if you are going to wear curtains, your shield(s) have to be always up, as that is your armor.

If you are having major CC problems, may I suggest immovable pots.

For 2Her users, out-positioning them and staying on the move is beneficial. They need to be within a short range to do damage to you, you do not.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have about the same stats on my sorc, running 5 shackle 5 alteration mastery 1 infernal guardian. I most definitely not have a problem with 2h stam builds.

What I recommend is slot hardened ward frontbar. Apply curse, ward, force shock. By the time you use shock, a crystal frag should have procced. Use that. Reapply shields as needed.

You have an 11k hardened ward which means your harness isn't that far behind. Stack those two and you get a few global cooldowns of damage. Use them wisely. 2h/bow stam chars pose so little threat to my sorc nowadays that I don't even use harness. Too much of a resource drain. I just stack hardened and use healing ward when I need 2 shields or a shield and a heal.
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghostbane wrote: »
    For 2Her users, out-positioning them and staying on the move is beneficial. They need to be within a short range to do damage to you, you do not.

2H user here. If I'm able to pressure a sorc and position the fight the way I want, I'll have the better chance of winning. Like Ghost said, your best bet against us to outposition us and fight on your terms.

I suggest keep your shields up and streaking away when we get too close. And if you see that Dizzying Swing winding up, you'd better either block or be on good terms with Stendarr.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a ranged damage dealer your best bet is to streak away so you can set up your burst. If your in a spot where you cant streak then throw some mines down and whatever you do DO NOT try to back away from the wrecking blow. All that does is help them set it up better. Instead walk or roll dodge through the person and they won't be able to target you.

When you do get targeted it's best to hit hardened ward first and then healing ward. The hardened ward should be big enough to absorb the damage and then the healing ward will have a chance to heal you behind the hardened ward. If you just use healing ward then the shield will get used up with 1 hit and you will not get the heal at the end.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most imperative is how proactive you are with shielding and how fast you break the stun. A sorc is only ever 2-3 hits from death under the shields , so keep that in mind and limit your windows of vulnerability the best that you can. Make proper use of mines and the root they provide. Don't stand inside them, put two layers between you and the opponent by kiting around the field. Defensive rune and streak are other tools in your kit that will mess up the opponents rhythm if used properly. Run shuffle on your overload bar. With the unchained passive, you can cast it after every stun and basically have major evasion all the time in a 1 on 1 encounter.

Furthermore, looking at your build, I feel it would be lacking vs any strong stam player. I would drop alteration mastery for a set that gives more killing power. The stats alone won't get you the kill though, and to that end you need to be able to deliver the damage. 100% curse up time, applying fury before and not after your killing combo, light attack weaving, timing your frag with the curse explosion, and properly timing your frag after a dodge roll so that it will actually hit are a couple things to work on. In any matchup, pressure/counter pressure will define the fight offensively and defensively. For sorcs, being constantly on the defensive will lead to a battle of resource attrition that you will lose every single time.

As always, the best way to actually improve vs something you struggle with is to find a buddy who runs that kind of build and duel them over and over. Once you get a feel for it and are properly shield stacking, you'll see that 2h is quite manageable for sorcs. Its the shield and dual wield specs that are the real challenge.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can't turtle their damage then you have to do something to ease the pressure and set up your own burst
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a long time magsorc, I like to build with a useable stam pool.

After getting smashed by a surprise dawnbreaker or something without shields up, I generally animation cancel the break free animation with a dodgeroll. This avoids the followup execute combination and buys enough time to get off a shield or two.

Always hardened ward first. There is a chance healing ward will target some ally you didn't even notice and cause you to get summarily wrecked.

If you see a 2h player charge a heavy attack, I'd recommend blocking. It's pretty common to cancel the heavy animation with incap or dawnbreaker. Blocking it prevents what could be a nasty CC and also has the side benefit of preventing their stam return from the attack.

Make sure you are attacking them. A lot of sorcs end up spamming shields endlessly just to stay alive. If you are ever just spamming shields/heals to stave off death and not attacking, then short of maybe buying a few seconds for a more favorable moment or position, you have lost your fight.

Magsorc may be "easy mode" to some people, but it requires quite a bit of proactive defense and good players will pretty much avoid your burst every single time. It takes practice to be more than a long range noob slayer.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter