The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

NB/Resto Staff viable build?

danielclarkb16_ESO
danielclarkb16_ESO
✭✭✭
So current situation: Play as a Bosmer Stamina NB currently running with Duel Wield. Survivabilty isn’t great and I’m just not enjoying playing with it at the moment.

I created an argonian templar and messed around a bit with the Resto staff and quite enjoyed it, however I really don’t fancy playing through the story and grinding another character again.

Now I get that a Templar and NB play style is TOTALLY different, but I quite fancy running a Resto staff with my nightblade, maybe even race change too. I saw a few forum posts from a year or two ago saying that running a Resto staff with a nightblade was viable, but would it still work in the current version? I’d obviously have to respect my skills and attributes/champion points etc to a more magica based build, and granted it may be expensive but if I get a build I enjoying playing more then it’s worth it IMO.
Edited by danielclarkb16_ESO on September 25, 2017 9:24AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming this is for PvP?

It also depends what you mean by viable, everything in the game is viable if you as a player can make it work for you. You might not have the best damage, sustain etc. but if you can get what you desire out of it and have fun then it's viable.

If you're able to give some more information on the content you're doing though then people might be able to give some more tailored feedback than me.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • danielclarkb16_ESO
    danielclarkb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is for PvP?

It also depends what you mean by viable, everything in the game is viable if you as a player can make it work for you. You might not have the best damage, sustain etc. but if you can get what you desire out of it and have fun then it's viable.

If you're able to give some more information on the content you're doing though then people might be able to give some more tailored feedback than me.

I don’t take part in any PvP. On the whole it’s PvE. Overland quests and normal dungeons mostly with the odd vet dungeon and trial. I’m not looking to be the main healer in the group, I’m after playing the DPS role with a bit of healing in between.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let's begin:
    • Using a restoration staff - a magicka weapon - on a stamina character will not work as well as abilities that scale with your stamina pool. Splitting stats means you're essentially becoming worse at both. You do have hybrid builds that are pretty good, but they are generally not accessible to newer players and will require more experience before using those.
    • You do have alternative ways of staying alive as a stamina build: Dual Wield has Bloodthirst and Blood Craze, 2H melee weapons have Momentum and their morphs, and if you happen to PvP you can unlock Vigor (Resolving Vigor morph preferably for solo play), which is not tied to any weapon and is a pretty strong heal.
    • If you still want more healing, you may consider using potions, either basic health potions (found anywhere), crafted potions (health / stamina are easy to craft) or Lingering health potions. Possibly, try to level alchemy on your character to increase the duration of potions
    • As tempting as Health regen might be, it takes too big of an investment in PvE to be worth it.
    • If you don't do it yet: use Food, the Maximum health / maximum stamina variant is easily accessible and craftable - it is also be bought pretty cheaply. Some NPCs also sell more basic (white) food increasing a single stat, which you can use to increase your health pool if you happen to die too quickly.

If you're on PC, you can download My Build and post a screenshot of it here for further advice, otherwise you'll have to list your gear, attribute points distribution, food and abilities used.

And no, a race change will not solve a core issue.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So overland questing and such you'll be fine with this if it helps you.

Dungeons and Trials you're going to want to focus on DPS and maybe use a shield (if magicka) as in theory you should have healers looking out for you.

I don't know much about Stamina Nightblade builds for PvE.

Magicka Nightblade however you won't actually need a resto staff for the healing because your main spammable attack is Swallow Soul (Strife) which heals you with each cast. That mixed with the light armour Magicka shield will keep you alive through most content.
    The basics are throw down your DoT (damage over time) abilities such as Wall of Elements and Twisting Path, then light attack weave Swallow Soul. That basic rotation will clear all overland content and quests, during dungeons and trials you'll want to make it a bit more complex.

If you're interested in looking at the current meta (considered best) builds you can always check AlcastHQ or Tamriel Foundry (both linked in my signature).
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • danielclarkb16_ESO
    danielclarkb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    Let's begin:
    • Using a restoration staff - a magicka weapon - on a stamina character will not work as well as abilities that scale with your stamina pool. Splitting stats means you're essentially becoming worse at both. You do have hybrid builds that are pretty good, but they are generally not accessible to newer players and will require more experience before using those.

I’m looking to completely respec my skills and attributes from Stam to Magica. However you do raise some other good points about improving my current build, it’s mainly the fact I don’t enjoy playing with the class more over the fact I don’t find it effective.
    Turelus wrote: »
    So overland questing and such you'll be fine with this if it helps you.

Dungeons and Trials you're going to want to focus on DPS and maybe use a shield (if magicka) as in theory you should have healers looking out for you.

I don't know much about Stamina Nightblade builds for PvE.

Magicka Nightblade however you won't actually need a resto staff for the healing because your main spammable attack is Swallow Soul (Strife) which heals you with each cast. That mixed with the light armour Magicka shield will keep you alive through most content.
    The basics are throw down your DoT (damage over time) abilities such as Wall of Elements and Twisting Path, then light attack weave Swallow Soul. That basic rotation will clear all overland content and quests, during dungeons and trials you'll want to make it a bit more complex.

If you're interested in looking at the current meta (considered best) builds you can always check AlcastHQ or Tamriel Foundry (both linked in my signature).

Will definitely take a look at Alcast! Thanks a lot!
    Edited by danielclarkb16_ESO on September 25, 2017 10:24AM
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    Stam class is hard to play. U need good sustain and u need to dodge roll quite often. Have u got vigor? That is something u definetly need to stay alive.