The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How can I make gold and do better in the game?

Anil235
Anil235
✭✭
I played approximately a year ago before I quit because I got bored and burned out (shortly after Shadows of the Hist) and I'm getting back into ESO again now. Thing Is, so much has changed that I feel lost and I have no direction. I currently have a stamina DK and Templar with 284 CP. My DK is my main character. I have maxed crafting and research, barring Nirnhoned and Alchemy. I'm in a decent trading guild but I have no clue where or how to start making gold and farming gear and Champion Points. I hopped on my Templar for a quick second to try and grind Rkindaleft but the mobs there crushed me. My DK, despite following Alcast's build as close as I can, does around 8k DPS (I have practiced since my last dungeon and I probably do around 15k single target now). I have 5/5 Hunding's Rage. I have no idea where or how to do anything, pretty much. It seems like I need Spriggan's gear and I farmed for a bit and got divines helm and legs, but I still have no clue what I'm supposed to do with them. How much of an impact does gear have right now? It seems like I should be trying to get more CP but I can't even solo Rkindaleft. I remember playing Rkindaleft before I quit and I could solo it really easily, especially with my Templar. Can you guys please give me some direction here? Where specifically can I go to farm items or materials for gold? Can I somehow use my maxed crafting for anything? How do I increase my DPS in dungeons so I'm not basically useless? How can I start making 200k gold a day to start saving up a decent amount and buying items I need for gold?

Best Answers

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's start with gold. I have three trade guilds and sell heavily. Your best bet is to focus on accumulating high value items and to keep your store stocked. Be aware, though, that this is the "off season," sales and the economy will be slow until the next dlc hits. However, there's still plenty of opportunity. Here's a good range of items to focus on.

1. Motifs. Many sell for $20k+ per chapter, plus this is a good way to double down on CP farming. Check pricing in guild stores, then look up where the expensive motifs drop. This will create a list of farm opportunities...pick the ones that are fun to you and do those.

Some examples to get you started. The world boss dailies in kvatch are very quick grinds. You'll get like 125k xp if enlightened between the kills and the quest, then a chance at Minotaur / order of hour motifs. Other motifs to consider are draugr, trinimac and malacath from wrothgar dailies, thieves guild, abah watch, dark brotherhood, morag tong.

2. Max your points in your craft skill ranks then do daily craft writs. These generate a lot of rewards that will earn you gold, including:

A. Gold tempers. Good to keep for your gear, but valuable if you need money.
    B. Kutas. Convert your gold enchanting mats into truly superb armor glyphs and sell.
    C. Master writ quests or items: quests sell for about $1k / voucher, which isn't bad. You can also do the easy/cheap ones and buy basic craft stations to resell.

3. Armor. Since you're a crafter, you can fill out your guild store with armor. People will pay good gold for the desirable crafted sets (twice born, julianos, Hundings rage, etc). Pick one...I recommend a medium armor set because it's more profitable right now (silk shortage). Make a full seven piece set of Hundings Rage in a basic motif (something ok looking like redguard). Make the pieces all divines. Upgrade to purple. I'm guessing that the mats cost about $6k for a purple piece of gear right now...list for $10-$12k. You'll profit like $4k per piece. You list seven pieces, and then whenever something sells you replace it.

CP Grind

If your characters can't grind rkindaleft, there's a problem somewhere that doesn't sound like gear will fix it. With 300 CPs, any class should be able to play this in any two sets. Something is off. Could be a few issues.

Alcast' builds are great...I'm a fan and use his templates as a starting point all the time. However, his pve builds are for trials. They're for long, slow, steady battles in a group. You probably need to make some adjustments to play solo grind pve. Looking at his builds for stamplar and stam DK, some ideas:

- either class can bring shrouded daggers into the dual bar. This is an amazing grind ability. It gives major brutality plus can pull 30k+ damage per proc. My stamblade SHREDS mobs with this (he's closer to 50k per proc). I find it super helpful on a DK, where you can claw root mobs then bam, bam, bam kill them w daggers.

- I'm a huge fan of the bow, so I don't say this as a bow dissenter...but in CP grind dungeons a 2h might serve you better. Bows are the best DOT weapons for trials, but you don't have as much need for this in regular content, and bringing in the splash damage version of the 2h execute can help plow through trash mobs. For vet content I use bow, for trash grinds I use a 2h with the execute then buffs and dots similar to Alcast's build. Focus on class abilities that increase dps...these grinds are about killing fast and replacing resources.

Some issues you might encounter:

If you're running out of resources, that's the new game mechanism. Your stamplar needs repentance. Your DK needs to weave heavy attacks and manage resources. For a pure grind build, you might need Willows Path as your crafted set for resource management. Rkindaleft doesn't really kill you, it drains resources. For grinding, you might also need the stam recovery Mundas stone, the serpent.

If your dps is too low, are you investing in medium armor? You don't need heavy for this sort of pve play. Are you buffing with major brutality and (if possible) major savagery? This is another area where you might deviate from the Alcast builds. He can grab these from potions in trials, but you don't want to do that grinding CPs. Make sure you can buff w brutality from shrouded daggers or rally or elsewhere. Then consider if you can sacrifice a spot on your front bar for cammo hunter from fighters guild. It "wastes" a spot, but boosting your crit can be more valuable in this sort of play than having a fifth attack skill.

Monster helm

If you're playing dual wield on the front bar, a 5/5/2 setup is ideal. Hundings or willows for the craft set, then spriggans is a great drop set to supplement. (You'll need three jewelry from dolmens...don't stress if it's blue, that's ok for grinding). With your remaining two slots you can use two pieces of agility (will probably need to be weapons if you use the jewelry slots for spriggans).

But even better you could monster helm it. I'd farm shoulders by playing normal daily dungeons, then watch the weekend golden vendor for a mask. It'll be 100k gold, so save up. That's basically farming and selling five high value motifs...it's a good investment. (I find waiting for the vendor to be faster than farming, but if you want a specific mask join a vet group and go for it).

Who knows what order the masks will come in...she sells two masks about one week in every three. Masks that would do ok for you would be engine guardian (great for grinds). Or any stam dps set, kragh, Selene, sellestrix (meh), Mephala (good for grinds), stormfist or velidreth (best dps set, IMO).

Hopefully these tips help. If you have questions on these, feel free to respond using a quote or put @davey1107 in the post and the system will flag it so I see it to reply. Good luck!
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't advise you about how to make 200k a day. I can advise you about how I make about 100k a day over the span of a week. (Results will vary based on playing time - I made this amount when I was trying to farm a lot. I may make less on weeks when I run more dungeons with friends or pvp more with my guildies, but I'm still having fun.)

I farm. By farming, I mean I take a fast character (stamina-based) and run around a zone picking up everything. Alchemy reagents, rubedite ore, ancester silk, ruby ash, hide, enchanting runes, all of it. The ESO+ Crafting Bag is not necessary for this, though it is helpful. Personally, I have enough inventory space to collect all the enchanting runestones even though most aren't worth much. If you don't have the space, skip the runestones (because cherrypicking nodes is for jerks). Weapons and armor I get from chests and mobs are sold to a vendor if they aren't a good enough trait to be worth a trader slot as a slow but steady way to get money.

I usually have enough playing time to farm several zones in a day. I like to farm: Craglorn (for the chance at potent and fortified nirncrux), the starting islands Stros M'Kai, Khenarthi's Roost, Betnikh, Bleakrock, and Bal Foyen (because they are small zones and densely packed with nodes), and then an overland zone that has more expensive gear drops (these vary because BIS is always changing with every major patch).

Then I sell what I collected. The math on whether its better to sell raw materials or refined materials plus the tempers gained from them varies. I've done both, but as long as you are close to your guild's pricing, Master Merchant,or Tamriel Trade Center price, these should sell pretty quickly. The same is true of alchemy reagents.

Ultimately, how much gold you can make in this game depends on how much playing time you want to dedicate to activities that make you money. I find farming to be very relaxing. It reminds me of playing TES: Oblivion and how I'd search Cyrodiil for potions ingredients. If you like fishing in game, then maybe fishing and hoping to get perfect roe from the fillets could be a satisfying activity. If you find that you prefer to fight dungeon bosses or world bosses, then killing those in zones and public dungeons where expensive gear can drop is a good choice and can be very lucrative if RNG gives you the right trait of weapon. If you like daily quests, there are a lot of dailies that give you a chance to get a more expensive motif, especially in Vvardenfell. In the end, I suggest that you find something you like to do in game that nets you an amount of gold that you can be happy with. After all, whats the point of making gold in a game if you aren't having fun while you do it?

Answer ✓
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. DPS in this game in trials is mostly a product of either a) macroing a light attack, skill and applicable skill cancel onto a single key (and possibly skirting the TOS), or b) 3 keystrokes for every combat action you take, giving you carpal tunnel or ruining immersion utterly. This is an irrefutable, near fatal flaw in the game's design (a "feature not a bug" LOL). So the point is that for just coming back to the game, your 8k dps isn't that bad, AND should be able to do all but "group designated" overland content. Don't pay attention to those claiming ridiculous dps numbers, almost all are 1. macroing, and 2. cheesing a static target dummy.

2. Gold. Do some exploring, find mob packs that give you CP while getting sellable loot. There are so many options, here are just a couple: In far East Deshaan, near the edge of the map, there is a dolmen. Very close to that dolmen is a HUGE mob camp that can be farmed for CP. All three set drops in the zone sell well, I have personally sold 100s of thousands of those set pieces. Purple jewelry from the dolmen sells well.

In Malobal Tor, the public Dungeon, Crimson Cove, is a great place to grind CP, has tons of easy bosses that drop decent sets including spinners. There is a dolmen nearby also.

Zombies on the north beach of Alikr Desert/Sentinel drop lots of bait that sells well. One of the most popular CP/exp farms in the game, always groups running, just pull a bunch of packs and start aoeing or tag along with a puller. Try to keep your groups to two only if possible for max exp.

3. Staying alive. Magicka Templar, jabs. Stays alive on any nongroup overland content. The end. If you are using jabs and still dying to regular overland mobs, don't know what to tell you.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some quick gold, play the market. Buy low, sell high.

Get a feel for what sells for decent money, let's say 20k or more, and search the guild stores for deals, then resell in zone chat for a profit.
    bye1.gif
  • Anil235
    Anil235
    ✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Let's start with gold. I have three trade guilds and sell heavily. Your best bet is to focus on accumulating high value items and to keep your store stocked. Be aware, though, that this is the "off season," sales and the economy will be slow until the next dlc hits. However, there's still plenty of opportunity. Here's a good range of items to focus on.

1. Motifs. Many sell for $20k+ per chapter, plus this is a good way to double down on CP farming. Check pricing in guild stores, then look up where the expensive motifs drop. This will create a list of farm opportunities...pick the ones that are fun to you and do those.

Some examples to get you started. The world boss dailies in kvatch are very quick grinds. You'll get like 125k xp if enlightened between the kills and the quest, then a chance at Minotaur / order of hour motifs. Other motifs to consider are draugr, trinimac and malacath from wrothgar dailies, thieves guild, abah watch, dark brotherhood, morag tong.

2. Max your points in your craft skill ranks then do daily craft writs. These generate a lot of rewards that will earn you gold, including:

A. Gold tempers. Good to keep for your gear, but valuable if you need money.
    B. Kutas. Convert your gold enchanting mats into truly superb armor glyphs and sell.
    C. Master writ quests or items: quests sell for about $1k / voucher, which isn't bad. You can also do the easy/cheap ones and buy basic craft stations to resell.

3. Armor. Since you're a crafter, you can fill out your guild store with armor. People will pay good gold for the desirable crafted sets (twice born, julianos, Hundings rage, etc). Pick one...I recommend a medium armor set because it's more profitable right now (silk shortage). Make a full seven piece set of Hundings Rage in a basic motif (something ok looking like redguard). Make the pieces all divines. Upgrade to purple. I'm guessing that the mats cost about $6k for a purple piece of gear right now...list for $10-$12k. You'll profit like $4k per piece. You list seven pieces, and then whenever something sells you replace it.

CP Grind

If your characters can't grind rkindaleft, there's a problem somewhere that doesn't sound like gear will fix it. With 300 CPs, any class should be able to play this in any two sets. Something is off. Could be a few issues.

Alcast' builds are great...I'm a fan and use his templates as a starting point all the time. However, his pve builds are for trials. They're for long, slow, steady battles in a group. You probably need to make some adjustments to play solo grind pve. Looking at his builds for stamplar and stam DK, some ideas:

- either class can bring shrouded daggers into the dual bar. This is an amazing grind ability. It gives major brutality plus can pull 30k+ damage per proc. My stamblade SHREDS mobs with this (he's closer to 50k per proc). I find it super helpful on a DK, where you can claw root mobs then bam, bam, bam kill them w daggers.

- I'm a huge fan of the bow, so I don't say this as a bow dissenter...but in CP grind dungeons a 2h might serve you better. Bows are the best DOT weapons for trials, but you don't have as much need for this in regular content, and bringing in the splash damage version of the 2h execute can help plow through trash mobs. For vet content I use bow, for trash grinds I use a 2h with the execute then buffs and dots similar to Alcast's build. Focus on class abilities that increase dps...these grinds are about killing fast and replacing resources.

Some issues you might encounter:

If you're running out of resources, that's the new game mechanism. Your stamplar needs repentance. Your DK needs to weave heavy attacks and manage resources. For a pure grind build, you might need Willows Path as your crafted set for resource management. Rkindaleft doesn't really kill you, it drains resources. For grinding, you might also need the stam recovery Mundas stone, the serpent.

If your dps is too low, are you investing in medium armor? You don't need heavy for this sort of pve play. Are you buffing with major brutality and (if possible) major savagery? This is another area where you might deviate from the Alcast builds. He can grab these from potions in trials, but you don't want to do that grinding CPs. Make sure you can buff w brutality from shrouded daggers or rally or elsewhere. Then consider if you can sacrifice a spot on your front bar for cammo hunter from fighters guild. It "wastes" a spot, but boosting your crit can be more valuable in this sort of play than having a fifth attack skill.

Monster helm

If you're playing dual wield on the front bar, a 5/5/2 setup is ideal. Hundings or willows for the craft set, then spriggans is a great drop set to supplement. (You'll need three jewelry from dolmens...don't stress if it's blue, that's ok for grinding). With your remaining two slots you can use two pieces of agility (will probably need to be weapons if you use the jewelry slots for spriggans).

But even better you could monster helm it. I'd farm shoulders by playing normal daily dungeons, then watch the weekend golden vendor for a mask. It'll be 100k gold, so save up. That's basically farming and selling five high value motifs...it's a good investment. (I find waiting for the vendor to be faster than farming, but if you want a specific mask join a vet group and go for it).

Who knows what order the masks will come in...she sells two masks about one week in every three. Masks that would do ok for you would be engine guardian (great for grinds). Or any stam dps set, kragh, Selene, sellestrix (meh), Mephala (good for grinds), stormfist or velidreth (best dps set, IMO).

Hopefully these tips help. If you have questions on these, feel free to respond using a quote or put @davey1107 in the post and the system will flag it so I see it to reply. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your detailed response! This is exactly what I needed. I'm going to especially think about my build because I am a really far ways away from trials right now. I've been farming Spriggan's for gold and because I need it so I'm going to focus on running dual wield/2h with Engine Guardian (already legendary 2piece) and Hunding's/Spriggan's. I'll also give farming motifs a shot, as well as crafting.
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    Farming raw materials (flowers, ore, silk, wood), refining them, and selling the materials in trader is a very good way to make money. When refining you have a decent chance at getting rosin, temper, wax You can sell those too.
  • Anil235
    Anil235
    ✭✭
    I can't advise you about how to make 200k a day. I can advise you about how I make about 100k a day over the span of a week. (Results will vary based on playing time - I made this amount when I was trying to farm a lot. I may make less on weeks when I run more dungeons with friends or pvp more with my guildies, but I'm still having fun.)

I farm. By farming, I mean I take a fast character (stamina-based) and run around a zone picking up everything. Alchemy reagents, rubedite ore, ancester silk, ruby ash, hide, enchanting runes, all of it. The ESO+ Crafting Bag is not necessary for this, though it is helpful. Personally, I have enough inventory space to collect all the enchanting runestones even though most aren't worth much. If you don't have the space, skip the runestones (because cherrypicking nodes is for jerks). Weapons and armor I get from chests and mobs are sold to a vendor if they aren't a good enough trait to be worth a trader slot as a slow but steady way to get money.

I usually have enough playing time to farm several zones in a day. I like to farm: Craglorn (for the chance at potent and fortified nirncrux), the starting islands Stros M'Kai, Khenarthi's Roost, Betnikh, Bleakrock, and Bal Foyen (because they are small zones and densely packed with nodes), and then an overland zone that has more expensive gear drops (these vary because BIS is always changing with every major patch).

Then I sell what I collected. The math on whether its better to sell raw materials or refined materials plus the tempers gained from them varies. I've done both, but as long as you are close to your guild's pricing, Master Merchant,or Tamriel Trade Center price, these should sell pretty quickly. The same is true of alchemy reagents.

Ultimately, how much gold you can make in this game depends on how much playing time you want to dedicate to activities that make you money. I find farming to be very relaxing. It reminds me of playing TES: Oblivion and how I'd search Cyrodiil for potions ingredients. If you like fishing in game, then maybe fishing and hoping to get perfect roe from the fillets could be a satisfying activity. If you find that you prefer to fight dungeon bosses or world bosses, then killing those in zones and public dungeons where expensive gear can drop is a good choice and can be very lucrative if RNG gives you the right trait of weapon. If you like daily quests, there are a lot of dailies that give you a chance to get a more expensive motif, especially in Vvardenfell. In the end, I suggest that you find something you like to do in game that nets you an amount of gold that you can be happy with. After all, whats the point of making gold in a game if you aren't having fun while you do it?

Thank you. I enjoy farming dungeons, but I often need mats for doing crafting writs. It seems like a way to make money is farm mats > refine mats > get tempers and refined mats > use refined mats for daily writs > sell master writs from daily writs. I definitely like to farm PvE activites, and I've made a bit from farming Spriggan's (both for my character and for gold).