The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please buff lighting.

Eyesinthedrk
Eyesinthedrk
✭✭✭✭✭
I have the quaint and cozy ravenhurst house. Two Brenton sconce torches by all three doors. Two fire pits, 6 candles. And I can't get the light to spread more than three feet around the walls.

It's bad enough that my Brenton genie lamp got nerfed. Used to be a wide spread of glorious white light. Now it's just a depressed shell of its former self than can barely cast it's gold light past the tiny end table that it's sitting on.

I pay my monthly ESO+ power bill but I'm still living in the dark.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I solved that problem by sectioning off the open plan ground floor into areas and rooms (using Orkish block platforms as wooden walls), thus making it far easier to effectively light each area. I also laid flooring over all the floor less areas of the upper floor using wide rough planks covered with carpets, thus creating three extra bedroom spaces with a proper all-over ceiling downstairs.

It didn't use up many item slots, but made a hell of a difference to the house over all.
  • Eyesinthedrk
    Eyesinthedrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the thee eupstairs rooms like you did. But took them down after a few months. The angled ceiling made its hard to utilize the peremiters.

• OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All lights except for the Daedric ones, tend to follow the inverse square law, (or some Z0$ equivalent with their own units) and they have a range of about 6 or so in game "Feet".
    They do not all appear to be spherically illuminating; meaning they do not all radiate light in a spherical shape (though almost all firelight should) but instead tend to create a "horizontal" plane of light.
    Some braziers behave larger radius of illumination than smaller candles do, but most braziers have been changed by Z0$ now to include a very irritating "halo" glow that ruins almost all desired light effects.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we need is a global light adjustment then we can use the light fixtures for fill and effect.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    What we need is a global light adjustment then we can use the light fixtures for fill and effect.
    While this would be neat, it would require more development time for the Client, as essentially Z0$ is giving the players ever more control over the gaming experience.
    As long as there is a profit in this for Z0$, they might be willing to invest development time.
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend using the standing daedric braziers. They are purple/craftable. I tilt them at an angle and imbed them into the wall like the Breton torch. They are much brighter and will fill the entire space with light.

I replaced all my Breton torches/khajiit wall sconces with these lights, and the results are dramatically better. I was able to use less lights and gain back a few item slots.

Also, I went into the settings and ramped up the brightness. I have it brighter than the game recommends, about 3/4 - 4/5 all the way up, and everything in the game is so much easier to see. I always ramp up the brightness when taking screenshots or working on my house. It helps.
    Lasertooth
    GM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity
    Xbox/NA
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read lightning and worried this was a Nerf Sorc sarcasm thread!

Agreed on the darkness
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lasertooth wrote: »
    I recommend using the standing daedric braziers. They are purple/craftable. I tilt them at an angle and imbed them into the wall like the Breton torch. They are much brighter and will fill the entire space with light.

I replaced all my Breton torches/khajiit wall sconces with these lights, and the results are dramatically better. I was able to use less lights and gain back a few item slots.

Also, I went into the settings and ramped up the brightness. I have it brighter than the game recommends, about 3/4 - 4/5 all the way up, and everything in the game is so much easier to see. I always ramp up the brightness when taking screenshots or working on my house. It helps.

Another option is to purchase the Daedric sconces from the achievement vendor in Ebonheart. I have three of these on the walls in the basement of Velothi Reverie, and they light the space quite nicely. They are 5k each.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on September 7, 2017 9:50PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #nerflights

Ha, just kidding. It is REALLY hard to light a room very well. In my Hundings Place I have six wedding lanterns and four candle fixtures and it's what I'd call a room at dim twilight...perfect for watching a movie, but not overly well lit.
  • Ir0nB34r
    Ir0nB34r
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I read lightning and worried this was a Nerf Sorc sarcasm thread!

Agreed on the darkness

You weren't the only one lol
    [XBOX][NA]
    Breton | Sorcerer | Damage Dealer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Breton | Warden | Healer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Argonian | Dragon Knight | Tank - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    (Retired)Breton | Sorcerer | Tank - Build Info (<< Link to Google Docs Page)
    "If you are quitting, can I have your stuff??"
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lighting is a HUGE issue to me. It's why I basically don't enjoy housing. I have a master crafter with a very nice fraction of crafting recipes. I bought a Hundings early on, along with a few smaller houses. And I do almost nothing with them, because lighting is such an annoying challenge.

I can honestly say this is reducing my expenditure on crowns, since I'd buy at least the dwarven furnishings pack if I were more into decoration.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on September 8, 2017 1:13AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped using Mournoth Keep because the house was too dark for my taste. It's darker than my other houses, and it doesn't matter how many lamps I put in there. I wish they'd brighten it up a bit. It has such a lovely yard that I'd love to start using it again.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inside my Strident Springs, I have:

30 sconces
    11 lamps
    1 chandelier (with 6 candles)

And it's still darker than a dungeon.

Some houses are just way too dark.

Mathiisen Manor, on the other hand, is brighter than a hospital inside, even if you don't have any lights.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 8, 2017 8:35AM
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the quaint and cozy ravenhurst house. Two Brenton sconce torches by all three doors. Two fire pits, 6 candles. And I can't get the light to spread more than three feet around the walls.
    Thats all?
    I'd be so lucky.
    I have placed over 30 light sources since the average candle light only travels about 6 feet, and sconces are about the same but higher brightness.
    Its as if Daedric Chandeliers/sconces are the only solution to bright lighting, but theyre "too" bright in some cases.

• lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 243 lights in my earthtear cavern. Replacing all my torches and chandeliers with the daedric stuff and removing about half of my pretty candles and floating lanterns reduced my lighting to 184/700 just used for lighting alone. And I only decorated 1/4 of the cavern. And I have my brightness settings jacked almost all the way up I can barely tell the difference between night and day.

Maybe in the future they can implement some sort of custom housing brightness settings. That way I could turn up the brightness in my own house without affecting the rest of the game. That would be awesome.
    Lasertooth
    GM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity
    Xbox/NA
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [...]Mathiisen Manor, on the other hand, is brighter than a hospital inside, even if you don't have any lights.
    You think? It's way too dark for my tastes. The open floors are acceptable, but the side rooms, especially downstairs, are depressing.
    =/

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    [...]Mathiisen Manor, on the other hand, is brighter than a hospital inside, even if you don't have any lights.
    You think? It's way too dark for my tastes. The open floors are acceptable, but the side rooms, especially downstairs, are depressing.
    =/

Well, compared to any other house it's pretty bright. Other homes are pitch black inside until you fill them with a million lights. Mathiisen has at least some visibility indoors, even with no lights.
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    A couple of factors have a huge impact on how well your lighting works, and generally speaking trying to do your lighting during the in-game day isn't going to reflect how oppressively dark it'll be at night. The secondary factor is that the sconces you are using, the Breton ones with candles, suck out loud and do not cast light towards the floor. Other offenders include most of the indoril candles we got with Morrowind.

Here's some general rules when it comes to getting a lot of light out of a light furnishing:

1) Most sconces suck. Lanterns hung on the Dark Elf Hook or suggestively draped over a corner work better if you need light on the walls. The exception is some of the torch sconces.
    2) Some candlesticks are good, others suck.
    3) Lanterns tend to cast pretty good light. The vanilla Dark Elf lanterns and Redguard lanterns are particularly bright and the latter have a very "clean" light.
    4) Braziers are good but have the aforementioned issues, plus eat floor space.
    5) Chandeliers are VERY good. Most are higher level craftables but iirc the Orcish chandelier is pretty cheap to craft and has a nice sphere of light that it casts.
    6) If all else fails and for whatever reason you don't want the good light source visible, flip the aforementioned orc chandelier or another good lightsource upside down or sidewise and hide it in the floor or wall, just out of view. You'll need to be the house owner and use retrieve to get it back.

In general, lights have the most impact when you place them to cast light on as many adjacent walls, floors, and ceilings as possible. This also helps rooms look bigger. As such, a good place to hang a wall light is close enough to the corner to hit the adjacent wall, and if possible at the right level to hit the floor and ceiling. If you have a home with high ceilings, like most of the manors, sticking chandeliers or hidden lights up there to light it up helps the rooms look brighter and, again, bigger.
    Edited by platonicidealgirlfriend on September 9, 2017 11:40PM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of factors have a huge impact on how well your lighting works, and generally speaking trying to do your lighting during the in-game day isn't going to reflect how oppressively dark it'll be at night. The secondary factor is that the sconces you are using, the Breton ones with candles, suck out loud and do not cast light towards the floor. Other offenders include most of the indoril candles we got with Morrowind.

Here's some general rules when it comes to getting a lot of light out of a light furnishing:

1) Most sconces suck. Lanterns hung on the Dark Elf Hook or suggestively draped over a corner work better if you need light on the walls. The exception is some of the torch sconces.
    2) Some candlesticks are good, others suck.
    3) Lanterns tend to cast pretty good light. The vanilla Dark Elf lanterns and Redguard lanterns are particularly bright and the latter have a very "clean" light.
    4) Braziers are good but have the aforementioned issues, plus eat floor space.
    5) Chandeliers are VERY good. Most are higher level craftables but iirc the Orcish chandelier is pretty cheap to craft and has a nice sphere of light that it casts.
    6) If all else fails and for whatever reason you don't want the good light source visible, flip the aforementioned orc chandelier or another good lightsource upside down or sidewise and hide it in the floor or wall, just out of view. You'll need to be the house owner and use retrieve to get it back.

In general, lights have the most impact when you place them to cast light on as many adjacent walls, floors, and ceilings as possible. This also helps rooms look bigger. As such, a good place to hang a wall light is close enough to the corner to hit the adjacent wall, and if possible at the right level to hit the floor and ceiling. If you have a home with high ceilings, like most of the manors, sticking chandeliers or hidden lights up there to light it up helps the rooms look brighter and, again, bigger.

The problem is you don't really get to choose what light source you use. In some spots, only a sconce will make sense (from a design perspective), it others, a chandelier will fit nicely, etc. For the most part, you can't fill your house with chandeliers and braziers because it will look silly. Sconces are the most practical. Candlesticks and lanterns are good too, but you can't just put them on the ground (they need to sit on a tabletop or cabinet).

And beyond that, only a few racial styles match the style of your house and other furniture.

There is also the consideration of light bleeding. Walls in this game allow light to pass through them, so you need to be mindful of where you place your light sources (you don't want a light source on a wall that is shared with another room).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 10, 2017 1:01AM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, my Mathiisen Manor is all High Elf style, except for a few uniques from luxury vendor, Wilderking braziers, etc. Using Daedric lights is just not an option.
    Buffing lights would be greatly appreciated, even if I'm already on the brighter side.
    =/
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    No doubt that the lights are inadequate, I was only telling people how to game the system we have. The player houses are about as dark inside as a totally unlit wilderness, whereas the dev-made interiors are pretty clearly lit with some kind of slider that bumps the ambient light way, way up, and don't require nearly as many lights as a result.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It hard to get ambient red light for houses. Only Sixth House Totem is bright for this. But we need candles that glowing red.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, please leave lighting as is. I have eye issues, and when a light source is too bright (dungeons anyone?) there is nothing I can do but close my eyes, which makes it hard to play the game.

Yes, Orc and some Dark Elf homes are very dark, the NPC versions are the same. If you add more lights (yes I have over one hundred in some homes) it will be lighter.

Please leave lighting the way is is! Else I won't be able to play the game.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, please leave lighting as is. I have eye issues, and when a light source is too bright (dungeons anyone?) there is nothing I can do but close my eyes, which makes it hard to play the game.

Yes, Orc and some Dark Elf homes are very dark, the NPC versions are the same. If you add more lights (yes I have over one hundred in some homes) it will be lighter.

Please leave lighting the way is is! Else I won't be able to play the game.

Increasing the range of a light source =/= increasing the brightness
  • kiyoshigawa
    kiyoshigawa
    ✭✭
    I just had a good idea about how to bull lighting. You could increase the ambient lighting of the house by a small amount for every light source added. So if you have 1 candle in a room, it will be pretty dim away from that candle, but if you have 50, it'll be much brighter in the spaces where the candles aren't directly illuminating.

This feels intuitive (more lights == brighter home overall), and seems like it would be simpler to implement than trying to change the lighting radii or brightness of existing fixtures which might mess up some effects people have going now. Ideally it would be a toggleable option, so people who don't want their home brighter can disable it.