Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I can't open simple locks, help!

Elektrakosh
Elektrakosh
✭✭✭
No matter how hard I try, any locks I come across are just too hard for me and the simple one in Ebonheart is preventing me from completing my quest. Also I can't find lockpicks. Time is too short and don't understand what's going on, tried reading the guides but they just generalise. I'm stuck and can't finish this quest.

I wish it was more like Skyrim I could feel how the lock is doing much better than this system. It sucks.
Argonian Painted-By-Elements -Pure Sorceress- Daggerfall Covenant. V1 I hate recipes!
Altmer Elekwen aka The Pale Lady -Sorceress- Aldmeri Dominion. Vampire Lvl 8
EU/UK. Xbox One.
Gtag: Elektra K Otana.

• Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few basic remarks to help you on the way:
    1: the general merchants (simply called merchant) sell lockpicks.
    2: you only encounter a few simple locks. Besides picking you can try and force it. there is a 10% chance to succees, so it will cost you on average 10 lockpicks.

A few things to help you get going

a: make sure your sound is on and is loud. Your ears help a lot!
    b: look at every pin. You can see how far the pin has to go back in cause thats the point it pushes you back. So if you are pushed back, try that pin again knowing how far in it needs to go.
    c: keep trying, lockpicks are cheap
    d: with practise you will get better.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When its time to release the pins they will shake and chatter so watch and listen. Lockpicks are common all over the world, look in containers like dressers, chests, desks, cabinets, backpacks, ect while questing, check all urns in dungeons/Coldharbour.

ESO lock picking system is partially based on Oblivion lock picking, just be thankful they didn't lift the lock picking from Oblivion 100% intact. I hated Oblivion lock picking with a passion, like to the point that I gave myself 5000 lick picks and auto spammed it until the lock opened. Thankfully lock picking in ESO is much easier once you get the hang of it.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with Jennifur, it really is easy after a bit of practice. As has been said, as soon as you begin to see and and hear the pin vibrating release it. Again lockpicks can be found throughout each city, look in cabinets, dressers and wardrobes.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you're on XBox One, there's something you need to know: because of the wireless latency, releasing the locks isn't as simple as listening for the sound.

Here is my advice:
    -When starting out, immediately move your pick to the right (last) tumbler. Do not start in the middle, as intermediate and advanced chests have shorter timers, and you want every precious millisecond you can get.

-Start pushing the tumbler down and WATCH IT while listening. The second it shimmies, release it. If the tumbler stays in place, move on and repeat. If it doesn't catch, try it again. This time, release just slightly before you saw it shimmy. This is important as it takes the latency into consideration and will result in a locked tumbler.

Practicing is important, so what you need to do:
    -As others have said, buy lockpicks from merchants (9 gold each) or look around for them.

-When practicing, do NOT try to unlock the chest. Instead, practice the pick with 4 of the 5 tumblers. Let the timer run out, and keep trying it until you have it nailed down. I recommend at least 20 lockpicks as every time the timer goes to 0, you lose a lockpick.

Hope this helps! :)

• Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    The biggest help I can say - is make sure rumble is on. On the PS4, the controller starts to rumble when you need to release the pin - no sound/visual effort necessary. Just pay attention to the strenght of the rumble in the controller.

Works everytime. I do master/advanced with just the rumble alone.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyro117 wrote: »
    The biggest help I can say - is make sure rumble is on. On the PS4, the controller starts to rumble when you need to release the pin - no sound/visual effort necessary. Just pay attention to the strenght of the rumble in the controller.

Works everytime. I do master/advanced with just the rumble alone.

Yeah the rumble is gg, i can do advanced ones without even looking nowdays, just hold r2 until controlling just starts to shake.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Elektrakosh
    Elektrakosh
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. Now to find those elusive merchants as I had no luck finding lockpicks in the places mentioned. I have one unlucky character! :/
    Edited by Elektrakosh on July 17, 2015 6:41AM
    Argonian Painted-By-Elements -Pure Sorceress- Daggerfall Covenant. V1 I hate recipes!
    EU/UK. Xbox One.

• Clamath
    Clamath
    It also helps a bit that there is only three right spots on a tumbler.
  • qpviper1qp
    qpviper1qp
    ✭✭
    Too bad i'm not at home. I would give you a couple hundred to practice with. I'm on xb1 ep.
  • Elektrakosh
    Elektrakosh
    ✭✭✭
    qpviper1qp wrote: »
    Too bad i'm not at home. I would give you a couple hundred to practice with. I'm on xb1 ep.

That's very kind of you. No worries though, real life bites into my ESO time also.
    EU/UK. Xbox One.

• Twinner_69
    Lockpicking in this game is ridiculous. I quit because of it. Wasted 30+ lockpicks trying to open a lock, had to run all the way back and spend all my money on new lockpicks, realized I'd waste those too, just quit. Not worth it. Really not worth it. Wasted a lot of money on this game that I wish I could get back.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Took me a while to figure out that you need to push the left button down....NOT try to drag the pin down.
    I know nutting....
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    Ask in zone chat! I have Like 200 of them... People will give them away for free!
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clamath wrote: »
    It also helps a bit that there is only three right spots on a tumbler.

THIS!
    However you like to think of it, high - med - low or 1 - 2 - 3, this is the trick that helps me the most.
    Try to get good at not breaking picks... & ignore the timer, its job is to get you flustered.
    :)

good luck!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best Lock Picking Advice I ever got was; Look at the Springs, not the Pins

Springs jiggle long before the pins do, giving you plenty of time to release the pick.

Also, ironically, it is easier to pick higher level locks than simple ones. All the actions are smoother and have less stiction. Yes, it's a word.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is probably something that's actually easier on console (or at least with a controller that vibrates). I used to have some trouble picking locks but it became easier when I did it without looking and going by sound and feel alone.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need lockpicks, loot everything. I probably have at least 1000 lockpicks and have destroyed countless more just from lack of space. Most of mine came from cupboards and urns etc.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres one of the simulators:
    https://openprocessing.org/sketch/134007

Or try this addon: esoui.com/downloads/info909-FCOLockpicker.html Didnt try myself, so cant confirm if its cool.

Long live the necrodancer!
    Edited by eso_nya on September 13, 2017 7:06PM
  • khenriksson_ESO
    khenriksson_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Edited: oops, What MommaDani said. Loot everything = many lockpicks.
    Edited by khenriksson_ESO on September 14, 2017 4:48AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still do it the idiot way, press down until reset, redo, on to next pin.
    Benefit is that it require no skill and works well enough,
    Easier locks always, Even expert locks works mostly but might fail if you have all pins close to but not at bottom and breaks pick.
    Master locks opens around half the time on first try, a bit touchy on how far you have to push down pins.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how hard I try, any locks I come across are just too hard for me and the simple one in Ebonheart is preventing me from completing my quest. Also I can't find lockpicks. Time is too short and don't understand what's going on, tried reading the guides but they just generalise. I'm stuck and can't finish this quest.

I wish it was more like Skyrim I could feel how the lock is doing much better than this system. It sucks.

One thing you could do is buy a few extra lockpicks and then take the chance of forcing it open.

Each time you go and open a chest you will see something like (R)Force Lock(15%) at the bottom of your screen. Which means if you press R you have a 15% chance of opening it. Try that a few times and you should be able to open it.

Also:
    if you go to Daggerfalls, in front of the wood crafting station, there is a merchant that sells lockpicks. I'm sure there are plenty of locations that sell them.

Edited by vamp_emily on September 14, 2017 4:27PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• DiteHart
    DiteHart
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, try to follow the lockpicking advice people are giving you, and if you're still having trouble and/or don't want to deal with the hassle, you can just force locks.

It really helps to raise your Legerdemain skill to 19 so that you can put all four points into Locksmith. You'll be able to just repeat forcing locks, and with the increased chances, you'll waste a lot less lockpicks. (I didn't mind lockpicking, but I only force locks now, and have 1064 lockpicks...well, you probably won't need the points, but since failing a lockpick force still gives you a cooldown period, having the points can save time.
    If you need some help with legerdemain, there's a guide here, that I think is still pretty relevant.

Essentially, to level it up without picking locks, you'll want to pickpocket (preferrably, since you get Legerdemain experience for it), and/or kill livestock, and/or steal items from chests and the world (and thieves troves) and sell/launder all your stolen items to a fence.
    X1/NA (GT: Dite Hart)
    Dite Dielle - Breton Templar
    - Full 9-trait crafter
    - Knows 41 motif styles
    - Covenant, Dominion, and Starter-Island Master Angler
  • sabretalon
    sabretalon
    ✭✭
    Weirdly enough though I find it easier on PS4 than Xbox! The vibration is more noticeable on PS4 and reacts quicker
    Xbox One EU servers

GamerID: Sabretalon

Also have it on PS4 but not my focus console

Casual play, explorer and altaholic. ESO+ member

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »

One thing you could do is buy a few extra lockpicks and then take the chance of forcing it open.

Each time you go and open a chest you will see something like (R)Force Lock(15%) at the bottom of your screen. Which means if you press R you have a 15% chance of opening it. Try that a few times and you should be able to open it.

Also:
    if you go to Daggerfalls, in front of the wood crafting station, there is a merchant that sells lockpicks. I'm sure there are plenty of locations that sell them.
    Force lock is serious useful in white gold tower dungeon there you is put in an cage with damage over time.
    If you do thief guild lockerbox quest I also guess its nice as its faster so less danger of getting discovered while opening.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.