The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Button remapping and request for additional gameplay templates for console

djinnub
djinnub
Soul Shriven
I had always been a bit confused about the default controller templates on PS4. Why would potion guzzle be mapped to up directional and bar swap be mapped to left directional? Those buttons are not conveniently next to my left thumb for actions that I perform while in combat all the time. Then I realized that the default controller templates on console are probably designed with the xbox controller in mind, where the directional pad is below the left analog stick as opposed to on PS4 where our directional pad is above our left analog stick.

Further, it is inconvenient that weapon swap is mapped to a directional button, since it makes it tricky to swap bars while moving. I am too old and arthritic to play claw. In one of the templates, we do have an option to bar swap by holding triangle, but nobody got time for that.

I would like to see additional controller templates for console that give us the option to bar swap by L3 and pop potions on down directional. Like many players on my platform of choice, I have already remapped my buttons in the PS4 accessibility settings, but additional templates would make it easier for new players to chose button configurations that better suit being able to continue attacking and weapon swapping while moving. While I imagine that many in PVP take advantage of being able to stealth up while moving, this is not so desirable in PVE.

The set up I prefer is:

up=POV
down=consumable
left=crouch/cycle enemy
L3=weapon swap
R3=sprint

This is a screenshot of this configuration from my PS4 Settings/Acessibility/Button Assignments/Customize Button Assignments menu.
n4iafk.jpg

I love being able to weapon swap while moving, but it makes navigating other menus, like inventory and crafting, more difficult and I to have to remember to "Disable Custom Button Assignments" before playing other games.

Happy hunting all and thank you for your consideration.

P.S. Thank you for giving us customizable settings for the colors of friendly and enemy ground effects. This has been a significant improvement for me personally and a long overdue feature to make the game more accessible to players with types of color blindness.
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really would love to see that implemented for PS4. Just to be sure, before anyone mentions the PS4 remapping settings, that feature is really not usable as it remaps the buttons for ALL games. Hard as it may be for the developer to understand but people do play other games then TESO on their consoles.

What really annoys me is the fact that this feature is already in the game, on PC with gamepad mode (which is the same as the controller UI) you can remap the key. It's just that the UI for that is only available for the Mouse/Keyboard UI (which use PS4 people obviously don't have).
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really would love to see that implemented for PS4. Just to be sure, before anyone mentions the PS4 remapping settings, that feature is really not usable as it remaps the buttons for ALL games. Hard as it may be for the developer to understand but people do play other games then TESO on their consoles.

Do you ever make use of the mini PS4 menu in the games you play? If not, the issue you described above is somewhat easily ameliorated.

Hold your PS Home button while in game, and then enable/disable custom buttons using the side bar that pops up on the left side of your screen. You may need to add Accessibility to the list if it's not listed among the default options (I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check). It takes less than two seconds to enable or disable custom buttons while in a game -- much easier than manually going into your accessibility settings from the home screen and enabling/disabling from there.

Of course, you have to actually remember to disable custom buttons when you boot up a new game, and re-enable them when you go back to ESO. :) I've accidentally died quite a few times, wondering why I can't weapon swap... You're also SOL if you need to remap your buttons for more than one game. Fortunately, in my case, ESO is the only game I play that has required some remapping to enhance gameplay, so simply enabling or disabling the custom button mapping setting works for me. What would be awesome is having the ability to save 3-4 (or more) custom button profiles for particular games via the PS4's accessibility options. Or, as the OP suggests, additional templates for ESO specifically.
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I now the feature but as you wrote that remaps keys globally making that feature rather dangerous if you play other games. ZOS really should add the missing configuration options.
  • Eyesinthedrk
    Eyesinthedrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PS4 remapping would be great except that it changes the buttons for navigating menus as well.

I'd love to have it in game so I could remap combat while leaving menus alone.

Before you say use the sticks to scroll I've been gaming longer than most of you (in clouding the Devs) have been alive. It's painful hard to teach us old dogs new tricks. Even harder when those tricks go back to when the Atari 2600 was cutting edge.