Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How to improve skills?

Nic727
Nic727
✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to improve skills even if we reached lvl 4 with them?
For example, with Aedric Spear skill line, I can only attack between 500 and 2000 depending on which skill I take. With Puncturing Strikes for example, max attack is 500 or close to that. Is there any way to improve that?
I see some people online doing 9k damages with skill attacks... But even with Empowering Sweep I'm not dealing that much damage...

Thank you for explaining to me :)
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skill generally scale with your stats, not every skill with every stat of course, but with related ones. So with higher LVL/CP, better gear, etc. your skills also do more damage/heal more.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skills scale with use or more accurate how much xp you gain so you can slot an skill then delivering quests for the quest xp.
    Then leveling its often smart to use back bar for skills you want to level, it does not need to be useable, you can slot endless hail on an two hand sword and it still get skill xp.
    weapon and armor just need to be equipped then leveling,

Dolmen zerg groups is nice for radical changes, say you are bored of dungeon queues and want to try to heal, however you have never used an restoration staff before, equip one and healing staff and other heler skills, join an dolmen zerg group, follow them and do some LA to reduce boredom, you level up weapon and skills fast.

Same for tank or switching between magic and stamina builds.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka costing skills scale with your max magicka, spell damage, spell crit and spell penetration. Stamina costing skills scale with your max stamina, weapon dmg, weapon crit and physical penetration. Shields only scale with max magicka(except those which description specifically states they scale with health).

Due to this being hybrid doesn't really work in ESO. Basically in order to improve your damage you'll want to:

1)wear appropriate sets - for magicka for example Julianos would be a good and easy to get(craftable) option, for stamina something like Night Mother's Gaze(you'll want some dropped set to pair up with those since you can't craft jewelry)

2)put all/most your attribute points into the corresponding stat(either magicka or stamina); you generally never need more than 17-20k health(with food) unless you're tanking

3)use max health+appropriate resource food(or one that's max health+max resource+resource regeneration if you need a bit more sustain)

4)enchant your jewelry with spelldamageweapondamage, enchant your armor with max magicka/stamina(possibly put health on a couple pieces if you feel you need more surviveability)

5)use a fitting Mundus stone, Lover or Apprentice would be a good option for a magicka build and I'm not entirely sure on stamina right now, you could look that up if needed

6)use the appropriate armor type - light armor for magicka, medium for stamina. (If you don't feel like going 7/7 light, use at least 5 pieces anyway because those boni are just too good to pass up - 5 pc light armor provides spell penetration which is one of the biggest things that make up your damage)

...etc

Also you didn't mention what level you are? If you're below cp 160 then it's imperative you wear gear as close to your level as possible, even if it's non-set/wrong set, due to how battle leveling works. If you're above cp 160, make sure you're using a cp 160 gold weapon as it provides like 300+ more spelldamage than a purple one(armor can be purple and/or cp 150, but preferably not lower).