Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

MagDK vs Mag Templar?

WillhelmBlack
WillhelmBlack
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I've asked guildies/other players/streamers and the answer is no.

Can a MagDK win a duel against any competent Magplar? I'm not saying Magplar is OP or anything. In many other PvP games classes have counter classes sure, Templar's eat through block, have unblockable skills etc, but no matter what build I put together I can not kill Templar's. Good Templar's can melt me away in literally seconds.

Looking for real information peeps, DOT/direct damage resist champion points, how many etc. If you have no problem with them please share your skill set etc cheers.

@ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_BrianWheeler is this something you are aware of or has everyone I've asked been wrong?
Edited by WillhelmBlack on September 1, 2017 12:09PM
PC EU
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's going to be hard against a competent magplar. Best bet is to pressure their stamina hard and hope they make a mistake on stamina management, but if you are in a CP campaign that's going to be tough to do.

Source: Am kinda competent templar.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go farm durogs bane, put some cp into defile, dot down, whip em good, and leap for the win...just remember to keep pressure and stack as many negative effects on the target as possible. The general rule to beat a magplar is to either drain resources then kill, or overwhelm with superior dps...P.S. magplar stuns are garbage now so slot wings for javalins, stay in their face just to the left or right of their centerline to avoid sweeps and negate their ability to toppling charge, and If they use invigorating drain bash interrupt.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Go farm durogs bane, put some cp into defile, dot down, whip em good, and leap for the win...just remember to keep pressure and stack as many negative effects on the target as possible. The general rule to beat a magplar is to either drain resources then kill, or overwhelm with superior dps...P.S. magplar stuns are garbage now so slot wings for javalins, stay in their face just to the left or right of their centerline to avoid sweeps and negate their ability to toppling charge, and If they use invigorating drain bash interrupt.

I understand what the sets do, I've used them in the past for group play. I still find it nuts that you have to centre a build for killing one version of a class. For instance I can kill heal/tank Wardens on most of my set ups without using any heal debuff sets. It takes a while playing the resource game with them but eventually they are overcome by Talons and Shattering.

I fight Templar's the same way but everything is purged. Maybe I should go back to Fossilize for increased pressure and drain. Less Whip procs though. The Sweeps are occasionally avoided by Talons but you can't perma root anymore so you will get sliced every other attempt, Purifying Light seems to be the real killer, it completely ignores block and laughs in the face of Igneous Shield.

I find that if I go too glass I run out of resources quickly and get Jesus Beamed because as soon as you get pressure back trying to keeps your DoT's running, cast defensive spells and blocking just drains everything at once. If I run too high regens I don't have enough damage to finish them off because of their incredible spell resist. If I go tanky, like use tank sets like you said I just can't kill them at all. Like not even scratch them.

Thanks for your input anyhoo!
    PC EU
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The things that counter templars are: heal rebuffs, good CCs, and big burst. mDK only really has the CC portion of that.

Sure, you could run a crazy high damage build and use healing ward+embers to stay alive, but that's really strictly a dueling build and doesn't give any indication of real fights between the two classes.

The only thing that can really be said is that magplar will struggle nearly as much with mDK because of the snares, roots, and hard CCs. Sure he can purge them, but then he's not being offensive enough to burst you
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've asked guildies/other players/streamers and the answer is no.

Can a MagDK win a duel against any competent Magplar? I'm not saying Magplar is OP or anything. In many other PvP games classes have counter classes sure, Templar's eat through block, have unblockable skills etc, but no matter what build I put together I can not kill Templar's. Good Templar's can melt me away in literally seconds.

Looking for real information peeps, DOT/direct damage resist champion points, how many etc. If you have no problem with them please share your skill set etc cheers.

@ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_BrianWheeler is this something you are aware of or has everyone I've asked been wrong?

With my personal experience, mag Templar is the best counter for mag DKs. Mag Templar is countered by very good nightblades and especially sorcs. But this doesnt mean, that they are unbreakable for this classes. Counter just mean, its very difficult to win against them B)
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    The things that counter templars are: heal rebuffs, good CCs, and big burst. mDK only really has the CC portion of that.

Sure, you could run a crazy high damage build and use healing ward+embers to stay alive, but that's really strictly a dueling build and doesn't give any indication of real fights between the two classes.

The only thing that can really be said is that magplar will struggle nearly as much with mDK because of the snares, roots, and hard CCs. Sure he can purge them, but then he's not being offensive enough to burst you

Sure, Mag Templar > Mag DK in duell!

if right played you can defeat some of this "meta" heavy armor templar builds, because the main damage comes over puncturing sweep. When he dont hit you much, cause of roots and stuns, you dont will have much pressure on you. He need to purge much time and this dots are mighty, that he isnt able to do many other things ;)
    Edited by DeHei on September 6, 2017 11:21AM
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)