The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What are treasure maps and do I need them?

Chelister
Chelister
✭✭✭
I'm sorting out my bank capacity and found 30 treasure maps, some are level 2 and 3

What they give out chests' locations or? Can I find everything on the internet? Or are those maps valuable since they are specifically for chests
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They give random goodies based on the zone they're in. Usually one of the overland sets will drop from them, though you can also get Malachite Shards, some gold, and some random drops.

In general... yeah, if you enjoy hunting around for them (as in, following the maps is actually fun), or you want to use an addon like Lost Treasure, they're worth using. If you don't, then you can always sell them to other players.
  • Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually get treasure maps from opening locked chest. I did a few of them at first but in my opinion it took way to much time for such little reward if any. Now a days I just delete them to clear up space in my inventory. I've tried selling them but they really are not worth much at all, maybe 200 gold on Xbox.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I either use them or sell them for 250g in our guild store. They are useful to people who farm for a specific armor set.
    shades.gif
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    use up those are newbie treasures, they all gives "trainer" sets in specific zones and save those are for high-end zones for 50 levels /CP 160, or use them up for trait researchings.
    Edited by Dracofyre on September 1, 2017 12:16AM
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its garbage. There is nothing special in these, not even the gold is worth it. Yeah you MIGHT get a set piece but probably not.
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might as well call them trash maps. I guess they're ok if you want to run around Tamriel gathering training resto staves.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Use Treasure Hunter CP perk, Lost Treasure Addon(marks the location on map with a red X) and your highest level character(preferably CP160).......

Cyrodiil maps frequently drop your Alliance motifs and Vvardenfell ones have a chance of dropping Buoyant Armiger Motifs(seriously rare).

You could do those 30 maps in no time at all and you might get some nice goodies! :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go get them since I got the add on that makes it easy. I thought it was fun to use them as intended at first but, as others have pointed out, there is nothing special in them and certainly nothing to make it worth the time involved to hunt them down. You MIGHT also get a painting out of them now and again, I've gotten a few. There have been several suggestions offered by players to Zeni to make them more fun and/or worthwhile but they have been ignored... as usual.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as nobody has mentioned them, the CE treasure maps (the ones that you get for pre-ordering & from the crown store) are utter trash, the gear in them is not a part of a set & doesnt even have a trait, you will get a small amount of gold & whatever you recover from deconing the 2 trash pieces you aquire
  • OC_Justice
    OC_Justice
    ✭✭✭
    reiverx wrote: »
    Might as well call them trash maps. I guess they're ok if you want to run around Tamriel gathering training resto staves.

I have gotten some descent stuff from them. i have gotten purple green pact jewelry and have sold quite a lot of stuff from them. Sure most is garbage, but 30 maps at 100g in each is 3k in gold. Trash sold probably another 1.5k and guild trader items could get you in the 10-20k mark.
  • mystfit
    mystfit
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing this thread, I decided to use up all the maps I had. Two mule characters holding gosh at least 100 maps from various zones. I gotta say I wasn't impressed. I may keep the resource ones but not the treasure map ones. I spent ALOT of time zipping all over all the maps and it just didn't net me anything really to write home about. Even extracting all the glyphs only netted me less then two levels (at around craft level 35).
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's fine to keep the good ones. Bangkorai, Deshaan, Malabal Tor, Rivenspire. Zones that have good sets. Otherwise they're just a waste of space
    Edited by Jhalin on September 1, 2017 9:02PM
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to spend the time to figure out where to look yourself, you can check the Treasure Maps section at http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/deshaan-treasure-map-locations-guide/eso_2014_04_06_21_15_42_026/ to zip right to the dirt mound. That might alter the time/reward ratio somewhat, so long as you don't consider sussing it out on your own to be an intrinsic reward.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually get treasure maps from opening locked chest. I did a few of them at first but in my opinion it took way to much time for such little reward if any. Now a days I just delete them to clear up space in my inventory. I've tried selling them but they really are not worth much at all, maybe 200 gold on Xbox.

Send to me please @firedrgn

Thanks
    I,dont get to play a whole lot I like to,just log in and run some treasure maps .
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I usually have a rediculous amount, and just sell them when im too lazy to put higher quality buys in my traders. I've never really gotten anything good, and i've done TONS of these.