Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Question About The Books and Shelving

Dysprosium
Dysprosium
✭✭✭
So I lam a bookish person and was excited to get the readable books and place them on shelves. I have some nice tall Breton shelves and started to put out the books and they are too tall to fit on the shelf. Am I missing something. Is there a shelf these books will fit into properly?
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. You have to clip the top or bottom of the books into the shelves a bit.
    Options
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad design. You'd think they could have got that one right.
    Options
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Breton shelves are pretty tall actually. The books from different collections are of different sizes and some of the smaller ones actually do fit in Breton bookcase perfectly. However be aware that if you put them all the way in they'll become stuck and unreadable, gotta make it so like 3 cm of the book stick out(stupid, I know).
    Options
  • Dysprosium
    Dysprosium
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will try to make it work. It's a lot of annoying manipulations but I'll get there.

I'm perplexed that this would not have been considered when designing these book furnishings. Were we just meant to leave them lying about flat and stacked scattered all over?

Perhaps they should allow us some ability to stretch/ shrink items to a desired size.....
    Edited by Dysprosium on August 17, 2017 4:19PM
    Options
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was really frustrating, and tedious. And like you say, worst part is you can't read the book sometimes.
    I gave up using Bookcase furnishings and just started placing them on single shelves (Sturdy Redguard Shelf) set on the wall.
    I can always read them, they don't stick out or anything odd. I use skulls for bookends, or candles too. (yes, that would be dangerous in real work, lol, but it looks cool on the shelves!)
    I also like to set a few on side tables, stacked flat.
    Options
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Btw I tried new Hlaalu bookcase and I think it has really tall shelves, should be able to fit more books there. I keep forgetting to take screenshots :D

Edit: also yeah, Idk how they designed bookcases. "So we have those bookcases, but most of them are too short for books and the books get stuck and unreadable inside all of them. Oh what the hell, it's not like anyone would actually use BOOKcases for putting BOOKS in them, right?!"
    Edited by Magdalina on August 20, 2017 8:12AM
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »
    It was really frustrating, and tedious. And like you say, worst part is you can't read the book sometimes.
    I gave up using Bookcase furnishings and just started placing them on single shelves (Sturdy Redguard Shelf) set on the wall.
    I can always read them, they don't stick out or anything odd. I use skulls for bookends, or candles too. (yes, that would be dangerous in real work, lol, but it looks cool on the shelves!)
    I also like to set a few on side tables, stacked flat.

I did the same. Two or three on their side will fit on the shelves of some night stands. I had a small stack beside a desk and one on the desk and had a couple out on tables. Unfortunately I had to remove a lot of books as I found other things I wanted in that home. Limited space and all. I have the 'Redguard bookcase, full' as a compromise so the place still looks like there is a lot of books.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • Dysprosium
    Dysprosium
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    "So we have those bookcases, but most of them are too short for books and the books get stuck and unreadable inside all of them. Oh what the hell, it's not like anyone would actually use BOOKcases for putting BOOKS in them, right?!"

Yeah who the hell want to put books in empty bookcases! I mean srsly, they should just sit there empty or have things other than books on them! :trollface:
    Edited by Dysprosium on August 21, 2017 2:42PM
    Options
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the point of ZO$ selling empty bookcases if the depth of the shelves are not designed to take books?
    Options
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I finally remembered the screenshots:)

Breton cabinet(a la bookcase but less bookshelves to fill :D), full of readable books:
    (apologies for bad lighting)
    aGdJ6Iu.png

Drz6j65.png

New Hlaalu bookcase, full of Pelinal's book collection from Midyear Mayhem, also all readable:
    24yP50P.png
    Options
  • Sheyta
    Sheyta
    ✭✭✭
    I not sure how zos was thinking about books
    But I not entirely sure about of a lot how zos think.

But not sure they thought books should be in bookcases

I not sure they thought people should be collecting so much as some do :)

Every book take one item slot so I just bought pretty filled ones
    Options
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the fact they have filled out bookshelves available in the Crown store pretty much speaks for the fact they are aware of the issue.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
    Options
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    I think the fact they have filled out bookshelves available in the Crown store pretty much speaks for the fact they are aware of the issue.

Hopefully.
    Options
  • kiyoshigawa
    kiyoshigawa
    ✭✭
    I think an ideal solution would be to make a bookshelf container, that populates with book items and automatically adds them to shelves. It can have a limit for how many books are on there, and you just interact with it like a banker, deposit books, and they appear neatly (or messily depending on the style of bookshelf) on the shelf, as interactable objects.

This goes in-line with the item storage requests I've seen around on the forums since homestead launched.
    Options
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheyta wrote: »

Where did you / do you find the filled book shelves?
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sheyta wrote: »

Crown store purchase window in the house editor
    Options
  • kiyoshigawa
    kiyoshigawa
    ✭✭

There are also some craftable shelves that are full of books. You can find/buy the recipee, or buy the finished product at guild traders. Ayleid, Dwarven, and Hlaalu come to mind off-hand.
    Options
  • SSlarg
    SSlarg
    ✭✭✭
    you can craft:

Redguard Bookshelf (Piled) and (Full)

Dwarven Bookcase Full

the rest are crowns I think
    PS4 NA PSN - SSlarg
    Currently Looking To Buy:
    NoThInG
    Options
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hlaalu bookcase, orderly is also full of books I believe. Those recipes are rare though
    Lasertooth
    GM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity
    Xbox/NA
    Options