The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Skill-points Question

wondertroll
Hello everyone! How are all of you? I am a new player and I have this question I hope yall dont mind helping me out with:

Is it possible to Max out Crafting skills, and available passives, abilities, morph, racial, combat traits (from mages guild fighters guild dark brotherhood etc etc) using just skill points alone? (Basically, max out every trait using skill points)

Is there sufficient skill points in the game to allow me to do so?

Is there any guide/reference/website I can read up on this? I tried finding sources from websites but they all give different answers

Many thanks!
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of skill point in the game,

Something like 60+ from leveling, 3 skill points per zone by doing quest, 3-4 poins per zone from skyshards + 1 skill point per dungeon + 50 skill point for pvp

You can have all class skills + 3/4 weapon tree + all armor passives + crafting max + mage guild + fighters guild + thieves + vampire/werewold and be fine.

But it can only be achieved through skill points collection. If you just level to level 50 without doing the quests / dungeons and skyshards you will find yourself lacking points (but you can farm them later on)
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    I have 312 skill points and have not finished Craglorn, the Thief DLC, the Brotherhood DLC, or Morrowind. So I'm pretty sure you can max out the skills, or get pretty close. I have Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Leatherworking, all 3 class ability lines, heavy armor, light armor, healing staff, destro staff all maxed SP with some in Unduanted, Mages Guild, Fighters Guild and One-Handed/Shield almost maxed.
    .... I have to admit, the devs do listen to reason, if not to the forums. Thank you for "nameplates", a welcome addition to immersion, as well as the text chat box for PS4, which only comes on the screen when I need it too, and helps this gameplay SO MUCH MORE then without it. THANK YOU for the additions. Very much appreciated.
  • wondertroll
    Thanks for your reponse guys,
    I have 312 skill points and have not finished Craglorn, the Thief DLC, the Brotherhood DLC, or Morrowind. So I'm pretty sure you can max out the skills, or get pretty close. I have Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Leatherworking, all 3 class ability lines, heavy armor, light armor, healing staff, destro staff all maxed SP with some in Unduanted, Mages Guild, Fighters Guild and One-Handed/Shield almost maxed.

So at your current state, can you max them somemore if you wish to?
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    380 skill points in total so far :

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Skills#Earning_Skill_Points

If I remember correctly it takes 500+ skill points to have everything maxed out (but it includes 22 points for werewolves and vampires and those 2 are exclusive).

• shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot max all the skills because you can't get that much skill points. Altough you can get more than enough skill points because there are just some many unnecessary skills depending on your build and are u on pve or pvp. You can always reset your skill in case you change from pvp to pve or the other way.

You can easily max all the crafting skills, world skill, racial skill, guild skills and class skills. You just need to make some comprimoses with the weapon/armor and some world skills like vampire/werewolf and choose the ones that suits your build.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of skill points. I have all class abilities, all crafting, vamp, most of assault / support lines all armour and destro

You don't need everything, but if you collect them all its easy enough to have all you need.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • wondertroll
    Beardimus wrote: »
    There are plenty of skill points. I have all class abilities, all crafting, vamp, most of assault / support lines all armour and destro

You don't need everything, but if you collect them all its easy enough to have all you need.

Thank you, whats ur in game id, you seem like a regular here can I PM u for in game advice (in future)if ya dont mind?

@the rest: thanks for your input!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answers you got seemed to be directed at maxing out EVERY line, but as a new player I think you're asking more about relevant lines...things you'll actually use. You're not going to spend points in useless lines for you.

Best source of skill points:

Reaching level 50: 64

Sky shards: ~130 that you can grab any time under One Tamriel, making this your best source.

Faction quests lines: ~50, 3 per zone for the main faction quests

Public dungeon: 20 from "group event" in each. These are NOT 4 player group dungeons, but the public dungeons designated by a rounded stone arch icon, see Toothmaul Gully in Auridon. This does not include shards, which are innthe total above.

Dark bro / Thieves Guild main quest line: 6-7 each, pretty quick points. Wrothgar's and Morrowind has a few too.

Undaunted dungeons: ~30, 4 player group dungeons, flat stone arch icon w plus sign. Shards obtained by completing and clearing quests in either version of dungeon.

Alliance War pvp: 10 points for your first 500k AP earned in Cyrodiil, imperial city or battlegrounds. Then ranks slow down and the next 40 offer points, but over a long time depending on your pvp dedication.

That's not all of them, just a starting point for beginners. It's most of them.

Tips on spending points:

1. Don't stress about spending. There are lots of points, and they can be undone. It costs 50 gold per point earned to undo morphs or all points at the shrines in the capitals. For my super vet character this costs $1800 for morphs, or $15,000 for all...but for younger characters it is much cheaper.

And at major updates...about once a year so far...they offer a reset for $1 per point. Unless you become desperate for points you can wait for one of these "sales." Check the shrine when new content drops...Morrowind was the last sales event.

2. With all the available points you can pretty comfortably spend in everything you want. My main has every point in class skills, two hand, bow, dual wield, medium, heavy, fighters, 10 in mage, assault, support, race, 20 other misc, plus master crafting in all six lines. But I have every shard and quest in the game, as well as 35+ from alliance war.

3. Beginner focus: early on, here's what I suggest investing in:

- Class lines: Spend in every class passive, and unlock any ability that is helpful. There might be a few that aren't, like purely magic attack skills for a stam character. But feel free to spend freely here.

- weapons: I recommend focusing on three weapon lines depending on your class. Magic toons should level the staves and either 1h&s or dual. Stamina toons should level dual, bow, 2h. Tankier builds would swap 1h for dual. Feel free to play with all the abilities, and spend in the passives.

-Armor: most toons should level and spend in two armor lines. It's common to wear a 5/2 mix. Magic toons can invest in light armor and the first 3 passives in heavy. Stam toons go medium and first 3 in heavy. Tanks would invest in the other heavy passives.

Legerdemain: get stealing! I always recommend young toons get Legerdemain to 16 to get the reduced sneak cost. Clear your inventory, go to the boats in daggerfall, load up then fence your daily max. 10-20 trips and you're character can spend 4 points to reduce sneak cost by 40%. Very helpful for a new player in pve, essential in pvp.

Fighters/mage: feel free to play with the abilities and unlock useful passives here, but these can wait until you have a decent bank of points.

Racial: always, always spend in these.

4. Spend in craft lines??

If you want to craft, these lines suck up a LOT of points. I have 110 points invested on my main, and I'm done researching so I have a lot of passives unspent. These level slowly, so it's not like you need all the points quickly. But it is helpful to do a little planning upfront so you have a general idea how you want to invest in a character. There are a few approaches:

- make your main your crafter in everything: doable, but then plan to hunt every shard in the game and commit to playing the quest lines through on them. Pro: one toon handles everything, con: lots of character work.

- your main does equipment while an alt handles all or some consumables: this moves 30-45 points to another character, which is helpful. Enchanting and alchemy are easy to shift around...there are no long term investments. On provision there's the learned recipes...I always kept this on my main because of this. But I did use a sorc alt to handle alchemy and enchant when I was short on points...this is a good strategy. Pro: frees up points for main. Con: you have to swap to alt for potions and enchantments, maybe also food.

- invest in 1 or more alts for all the craft lines: some players don't craft on their main at all. They grab the easiest points on alts and set them up to craft. This is viable, but I don't prefer it. I like having at least my equipment skills on my main...so he can learn the motifs and not deal with a bunch of character swapping. But some people like this approach.

The craft skills aren't a rush to invest in, but down the road they do offer massive benefits through daily writs, etc. I wouldn't stress about these lines, but if you pick an approach and start doing your trait research, leveling, motif and recipe learning its good to get this going, so it's helpful to know which characters you want to do this with. (Or just hold your recipes/motifs in your bank...in a month or two of playing you'll have a better idea how this all works).

Note: regardless where/who you spend points with, I recommend that every character level all six lines via deconstructing and potion/recipe grinding. Don't stress about doing this overnight...over time you'll pick up so much junk that these lines will naturally level, and thenhigher your character level the more powerful the items you pick up. Don't try to level smithing by deconning 50 million iron swords. But having the lines at 50 gives you flexibility down the road, and many players do,daily craft writs on multiple toons because this is some of the easiest money in the game.

Best resources:

For even more info than my babble, I like these resources:

ESO Academy: great guides on just about everything.

Sunshine Daydreams ESO Crafting Guides: shout out to S.D. - these are amazingly good guides on everything crafting.

The ESO App: iOS/android 3rd Party app w VERY good maps of all zones, including dungeon maps. This was well worth the cost.

ESO Workbench: another iOS/android app I use all the time. Main feature is research tracking on armor traits...WAY helpful for this. Also has a enchant and potion feature I still use a lot, plus a recipe checklist.

If you have questions, flag me by including @davey1107 in your response. And if this was helpful, feel,free to upvote it because I collect those.

• wondertroll
    davey1107 wrote: »
    The answers you got seemed to be directed at maxing out EVERY line, but as a new player I think you're asking more about relevant lines...things you'll actually use. You're not going to spend points in useless lines for you.

Best source of skill points:

Reaching level 50: 64

Sky shards: ~130 that you can grab any time under One Tamriel, making this your best source.

Faction quests lines: ~50, 3 per zone for the main faction quests

Public dungeon: 20 from "group event" in each. These are NOT 4 player group dungeons, but the public dungeons designated by a rounded stone arch icon, see Toothmaul Gully in Auridon. This does not include shards, which are innthe total above.

Dark bro / Thieves Guild main quest line: 6-7 each, pretty quick points. Wrothgar's and Morrowind has a few too.

Undaunted dungeons: ~30, 4 player group dungeons, flat stone arch icon w plus sign. Shards obtained by completing and clearing quests in either version of dungeon.

Alliance War pvp: 10 points for your first 500k AP earned in Cyrodiil, imperial city or battlegrounds. Then ranks slow down and the next 40 offer points, but over a long time depending on your pvp dedication.

That's not all of them, just a starting point for beginners. It's most of them.

Tips on spending points:

1. Don't stress about spending. There are lots of points, and they can be undone. It costs 50 gold per point earned to undo morphs or all points at the shrines in the capitals. For my super vet character this costs $1800 for morphs, or $15,000 for all...but for younger characters it is much cheaper.

And at major updates...about once a year so far...they offer a reset for $1 per point. Unless you become desperate for points you can wait for one of these "sales." Check the shrine when new content drops...Morrowind was the last sales event.

2. With all the available points you can pretty comfortably spend in everything you want. My main has every point in class skills, two hand, bow, dual wield, medium, heavy, fighters, 10 in mage, assault, support, race, 20 other misc, plus master crafting in all six lines. But I have every shard and quest in the game, as well as 35+ from alliance war.

3. Beginner focus: early on, here's what I suggest investing in:

- Class lines: Spend in every class passive, and unlock any ability that is helpful. There might be a few that aren't, like purely magic attack skills for a stam character. But feel free to spend freely here.

- weapons: I recommend focusing on three weapon lines depending on your class. Magic toons should level the staves and either 1h&s or dual. Stamina toons should level dual, bow, 2h. Tankier builds would swap 1h for dual. Feel free to play with all the abilities, and spend in the passives.

-Armor: most toons should level and spend in two armor lines. It's common to wear a 5/2 mix. Magic toons can invest in light armor and the first 3 passives in heavy. Stam toons go medium and first 3 in heavy. Tanks would invest in the other heavy passives.

Legerdemain: get stealing! I always recommend young toons get Legerdemain to 16 to get the reduced sneak cost. Clear your inventory, go to the boats in daggerfall, load up then fence your daily max. 10-20 trips and you're character can spend 4 points to reduce sneak cost by 40%. Very helpful for a new player in pve, essential in pvp.

Fighters/mage: feel free to play with the abilities and unlock useful passives here, but these can wait until you have a decent bank of points.

Racial: always, always spend in these.

4. Spend in craft lines??

If you want to craft, these lines suck up a LOT of points. I have 110 points invested on my main, and I'm done researching so I have a lot of passives unspent. These level slowly, so it's not like you need all the points quickly. But it is helpful to do a little planning upfront so you have a general idea how you want to invest in a character. There are a few approaches:

- make your main your crafter in everything: doable, but then plan to hunt every shard in the game and commit to playing the quest lines through on them. Pro: one toon handles everything, con: lots of character work.

- your main does equipment while an alt handles all or some consumables: this moves 30-45 points to another character, which is helpful. Enchanting and alchemy are easy to shift around...there are no long term investments. On provision there's the learned recipes...I always kept this on my main because of this. But I did use a sorc alt to handle alchemy and enchant when I was short on points...this is a good strategy. Pro: frees up points for main. Con: you have to swap to alt for potions and enchantments, maybe also food.

- invest in 1 or more alts for all the craft lines: some players don't craft on their main at all. They grab the easiest points on alts and set them up to craft. This is viable, but I don't prefer it. I like having at least my equipment skills on my main...so he can learn the motifs and not deal with a bunch of character swapping. But some people like this approach.

The craft skills aren't a rush to invest in, but down the road they do offer massive benefits through daily writs, etc. I wouldn't stress about these lines, but if you pick an approach and start doing your trait research, leveling, motif and recipe learning its good to get this going, so it's helpful to know which characters you want to do this with. (Or just hold your recipes/motifs in your bank...in a month or two of playing you'll have a better idea how this all works).

Note: regardless where/who you spend points with, I recommend that every character level all six lines via deconstructing and potion/recipe grinding. Don't stress about doing this overnight...over time you'll pick up so much junk that these lines will naturally level, and thenhigher your character level the more powerful the items you pick up. Don't try to level smithing by deconning 50 million iron swords. But having the lines at 50 gives you flexibility down the road, and many players do,daily craft writs on multiple toons because this is some of the easiest money in the game.

Best resources:

For even more info than my babble, I like these resources:

ESO Academy: great guides on just about everything.

Sunshine Daydreams ESO Crafting Guides: shout out to S.D. - these are amazingly good guides on everything crafting.

The ESO App: iOS/android 3rd Party app w VERY good maps of all zones, including dungeon maps. This was well worth the cost.

ESO Workbench: another iOS/android app I use all the time. Main feature is research tracking on armor traits...WAY helpful for this. Also has a enchant and potion feature I still use a lot, plus a recipe checklist.

If you have questions, flag me by including @davey1107 in your response. And if this was helpful, feel,free to upvote it because I collect those.

@davey1107 Cool, mind if I add ya in game?
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that having separate alts for provisioning, enchanting and alchemy keeps all the glyphs etc away from your main, which can save a lot of bank space if you don't have eso+.

One thing to remember is that clothing, smiting and woodwork are based on your character level when constructing, not your skill level. Ie a level 4 char with 50 in woodwork can only create weapons and shields upto level 4, hence why your main should do these.

Alchemy, provisioning and enchanting are based on your skill level ie a level 4 char with 50 in alchemy could create 160 cp potions, although there is a bug on pc that prevents you from doing daily writs this way.