The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

General PvP tip for beginners

EnglishTea123
EnglishTea123
✭✭✭
Right. Uh. I am not by any means the best PvP player, but I felt the need to start this because some players are just struggling with this whole PvP thing. Just two tips that will help YOU out and the faction for which you're playing.

First thing is that STOP wearing Divines/Infused if you're not a magicka class that can mitigate damage with shields. Even with the magicka builds, Impenetrable is still the preferred trait over Divines/Infused. Trust me. We've all been there, thinking, "Whaa? If I can cut these bad boys down before they can cut me down, I'll survive yo." Yeah. No. You aren't going to tear down an experienced stam dk tanky damage build with a Divines/Infused build. Unless you yourself are super skilled and can handle Divines/Infused just fine, but I doubt that.

Second, please STOP with the bow light attacks. I see this so many times. Tap. Tap. Tap. Just no. That's the ESO equivalent of shooting one bullet at a time in a FPS game where you can shoot unrealistically in full auto with extreme precision. You have a skill bar for a reason. Two of them in fact. Make sure you don't set both bars for offensive, because you gotta get defensive at times.

You don't even have to chase the meta. I don't chase the meta either, and I try to keep my build and playstyle unique, which will limit my ability to fight some players. But please keep in mind that if you're a magicka build, you DON'T need weapon damage as you need magicka and spell damage, and as a stamina build, you do NOT need spell damage. Face it. Hybrid is nearly impossible in this game. Most "hybrid" builds I've seen are either flat out stam build with a magicka ability slotted, or a straight up mag build with a 2h ult. And you certainly do not need, as a wannabe stamblade damage build, 30k health unless you've theory-crafted long and hard about it and that it actually works. I don't know if it's because I main AD, but I mainly see these players on AD. Won't mention names, but someone was asking in zone chat why she couldn't kill a stam dk. Asked what her weap damage was sitting at. "2k" she said. 2-freakin-k. No. Not to mention that she was rocking divines armor pieces which weren't complement set pieces, which she received through QUESTS. Please, don't even try to make that excuse "Oh, you know, some of us don't really put the time or effort into this game as it is just a hobby" because this is how you sound like, "Yeah, I love basketball. Let me just go out to the court and watch everyone else play while I just bounce the ball." And then when it's your turn to play you don't actually know how to play. Teammates ask, "Yo, didn't you say you love basketball?" "Yeah I do. I just love watching it." Up till there is okay because having a hobby doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it. But when your teammates are trying to teach you how to play, you need to listen. Otherwise, it won't take Sherlock Holmes to know why nobody is inviting you to his/her group. Wouldn't it be a lot better for yourself and your team if you at least learned to dribble and pass? Like you don't even have to go Kobe or LeBron (or Michael).
Edited by EnglishTea123 on August 28, 2017 8:36PM
  • EnglishTea123
    EnglishTea123
    ✭✭✭
    And please don't go around spamming Brawler with 2H. Maybe useful for PvE as a lowbie trying to grind, but more often than not useless in PvP. Lol
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Second, please STOP with the bow light attacks."
    You know weaving bow light attack stack up to 5 times and then make your bow abilities more powerful right?
    This will obviously help in dps and sustain.

Alss you can skip impen if you want and put crit resist in CP instead.
  • EnglishTea123
    EnglishTea123
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously, if your mentioned case is what I was talking about, I wouldn't have put it in the tip. The problem is that they keep on light attacking, which is what I am addressing here. And honestly I have yet to meet a player who uses that passive to its maximum advantage because by the time you stack 5 light attacks, you probably have to heal because your opponent would've gotten on you. Stack 5 light attacks to do... what exactly? Use poison injection? I think it'll be more logical to charge up a med/heavy attack animation cancelled with poison injection to open a fight. The only time I can imagine someone deliberately using that passive is when fighting against a magicka sorc from a distance. Even then, by the time you have that bow passive active, the curse will have popped and most likely a proc frag at ready. Overall, there is a reason that most experienced players do not make use of that passive, as that's just a waste of time and effort when you can directly put dot and go with direct damage.

As for CP crit resist, you will then miss out on increased healing received and reduced damage taken from direct damage and such. You can put 50 to crit resist and it'll give you like what... 850? That's nowhere near enough to help you survive. There are better allocations for red CP than to dump 100 on crit resist imho. Especially for a stam build. For magicka using shield, save 100 (or near that amount) for Bastion, put some into raw damage mitigation, and then what you have left dump on crit resist, which as I mentioned won't be significant enough to cut down crit damage. As for Stam, 110 points into the second section of the red ones--forgot what that's called--is pretty much a necessity because having that passive which reduces the cost of Shuffle is just that good. Then you have 100 left. Well, you'll want to invest some into increased healing received, reduce the direct damage taken, and even reduce dot damage if you want. That spares you not very many points which you'd invest on crit resist. The problem is, as I mentioned, crit resist below 2k will still result in near 10k frag/incap/dawnbreaker or whatever other skill there is that's got a huge burst. It's generally a good idea to have impen pieces along with the CP crit resist, which is why so many newbies complain that "stam dks are OP and unkillable!" Well... if they read this then they'll know why. Trust me. There is a reason experienced players run impen on at least 4 pieces of their armor. Other complementing trait to impen would be having sturdy if you are using s&b.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad someone has finally taken on themselves to criticize hypothetical players who will never see this because they are, well, hypothetical. Ha.

Contrary to your post, experienced bow users actually do weave light attacks in order to take advantage of the passive, and it is relatively powerful. Via weaving you can maintain the buff for quite a while. It's a 25% damage boost for five seconds...that's worth working toward. In certain situations I weave lights between buffs, and when I'm done I can hit a player for 18k with focused aim.

But when bow users are going tap-tap-tap they probably aren't looking to deal significant damage. I do that when I feel safe enough to use it to regen my stam and ultimate pools. Some pvp enemies are so unthreatening that I can play defense for a bit to charge up. This especially applies to tanks, where my NB friend and I might both go into light mode to get our ultimate up, then buff, then fear him and hit him with everything.

And at resources and captures, ultimate regen is totally what everyone is doing. I can replenish a totally empty tank on 3-4 guard NPCs.

I'm not saying your advice is all bad, I'm saying maybe leave the bow advice to bow players because you don't very accurately describe best practices with bow.
  • EnglishTea123
    EnglishTea123
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, light attacks ONLY won't get a kill, and those are the players I am addressing here. And what exactly are you talking about when you say "experienced bow players"? I can name so many experienced players but none of them will tap tap tap tap tap. The only reasons they'd light attack with a bow is to apply the alchemical poison, to drag and bait someone to a certain spot, or if they have shield breaker equipped. Any Youtube video example of these "experienced bow players" you're talking about? And how experienced are we talking about here? Do they 1vsX with it? And your mentioned case of getting ult up on a tank is completely different. The problem addressed in this post is strictly limited to players whose only means of damage is bow light attacks.