The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Writ cost

badmojo
badmojo
✭✭✭✭✭
How do you guys sustain your supply of materials for writs?

I used to do them everyday on 6 or 7 characters, but the cost of buying more materials every week was getting substantial. I guess I could start selling gold tempers to make up for it, but with so many characters I like to hoard those for use later. I do have a bunch of master writs I could sell, but I am also trying to get some vouchers saved up in the off chance something I want might come out costing vouchers.

I have tried simply farming for materials to cover the writs, but I have a real job and cant spend enough time per day while also spending time actually doing thw writs. Not to mention I would rather be spending my time in Cyrodiil.

I stopped doing the daily writs because I felt like all I was doing was converting my savings of gold into gold tempers and writ vouchers.

How do you guys cover the cost of doing writs everyday?
[DC/NA]
  • magicsprout
    magicsprout
    ✭✭✭
    I farm for mats bit time wise i find thats only sustainable for 3 chars doing writs.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only do writs regularly on 1 char atm but I have a stack of surveys which would cover writs forever
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    How do you guys sustain your supply of materials for writs?

I used to do them everyday on 6 or 7 characters, but the cost of buying more materials every week was getting substantial. I guess I could start selling gold tempers to make up for it, but with so many characters I like to hoard those for use later. I do have a bunch of master writs I could sell, but I am also trying to get some vouchers saved up in the off chance something I want might come out costing vouchers.

I have tried simply farming for materials to cover the writs, but I have a real job and cant spend enough time per day while also spending time actually doing thw writs. Not to mention I would rather be spending my time in Cyrodiil.

I stopped doing the daily writs because I felt like all I was doing was converting my savings of gold into gold tempers and writ vouchers.

How do you guys cover the cost of doing writs everyday?

The easiest way to balance out costs for multiple characters and writs is to remember - in almost every case you make more than you use.

Now, this is usually patently obvious for the consumables.

But for equipment writs you are still usually in the green after looking at gold and such and surveys.

But, a good way to balance things out among multiple characters is to have some do the high level writs for tier-10 mats and others do tier-one writs for cheap mats.

take two cp 160 characters each doing wood-metal-cloth writs a day -
    one does them tier-one for jute-maple-iron
    one does them tier-10 for the ruby stuff.

they make the same "gold".
    they get the same number of surveys (which can be all harvested by tier-10 guy)
    they get scaled and unscaled drops of mats.
    the tier-one always gets either s ruevey or a box of 25 tier-one mats which almost completely balances out the mats they used.

these two running daily should have no problem finding enough gold flow to buy from guild stores whatever shortfall on the ruby stuff they need and still turn a profit - especially given surveys and the occasional master writ.

add in running the three tier-one consumables and its all gravy.

i never "farm" only gather in passing and only run surveys when needed but i also tend to manage my choices on writs to match my play and dont mind spending **some** of the gold when needed to buy mats to save time.

time is the real resource, after all.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 8 characters all doing max level writs and was always running short of rubedite ore, ruby ash and ancestor silk. On PS4, rubedite and ruby ash are pretty easy to buy and as long as you shop around and don't pay too much for them, you will come out in front.

My problem has recently been getting ancestor silk, because the supply has dried up and prices have shot up - so much so that seeing it at 14k a stack is actually cheap. To me this is unsustainable for a crafter, as you need more than 300 for 8 ancestor silk writs and would only get about 5k gold back, with any extra relying on luck (or RNG).

This was not an issue until the survey drop rate changed and you started getting lower level mats in lieu of surveys for most writs. Sure, if you are max level and have all passives, you get top level mats at every node but that doesn't help when you get less than half the surveys than you used to get. To top it off, 2 of the clothing survey nodes are now leather, so you only get 4 ancestor silk nodes for each survey.

My solution was to start farming - after 2 years of playing the game I have had to start farming if I want to continue doing writs. Luckily I found a good route that respawns at the same rate I complete the circuit and if 2 or 3 hours a week of farming means I don't have to buy any mats, I'll live with it.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    I complete on four toons and every once in a while i do have to buy A.Silk, but farming helps, i use to have trouble with Nirroot, but i found a spot to farm that give me about 8-12 per farm run.

I also keep my survey's on me at all time and if am around where one of the survey spot is i automatically check the spot.

One last thing is buy mats in chat as player looking for quick coin will sell for cheap/bulk price. had a guy the other day sell me 5 stack of A.Silk for 8K each 50% off what i list it for. so keep to for me turned around and sold 3 at 16K each.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I complete on four toons and every once in a while i do have to buy A.Silk, but farming helps, i use to have trouble with Nirroot, but i found a spot to farm that give me about 8-12 per farm run.

I also keep my survey's on me at all time and if am around where one of the survey spot is i automatically check the spot.

One last thing is buy mats in chat as player looking for quick coin will sell for cheap/bulk price. had a guy the other day sell me 5 stack of A.Silk for 8K each 50% off what i list it for. so keep to for me turned around and sold 3 at 16K each.
    I tend to store all of my surveys on one character and once every 5 days or so just do a survey run. I'm a bit funny like that, do the same with master writs - I'll give them all to my main crafter and then go and complete 15-20 at a time.

It pays to go and check out traders stocks from time to time, even if you currently don't need an item. You never know when someone might list something at a low price. I found the Imperial motif for sale at 5k once while I was looking for other motifs.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I have 8 characters all doing max level writs and was always running short of rubedite ore, ruby ash and ancestor silk. On PS4, rubedite and ruby ash are pretty easy to buy and as long as you shop around and don't pay too much for them, you will come out in front.

My problem has recently been getting ancestor silk, because the supply has dried up and prices have shot up - so much so that seeing it at 14k a stack is actually cheap. To me this is unsustainable for a crafter, as you need more than 300 for 8 ancestor silk writs and would only get about 5k gold back, with any extra relying on luck (or RNG).

This was not an issue until the survey drop rate changed and you started getting lower level mats in lieu of surveys for most writs. Sure, if you are max level and have all passives, you get top level mats at every node but that doesn't help when you get less than half the surveys than you used to get. To top it off, 2 of the clothing survey nodes are now leather, so you only get 4 ancestor silk nodes for each survey.

My solution was to start farming - after 2 years of playing the game I have had to start farming if I want to continue doing writs. Luckily I found a good route that respawns at the same rate I complete the circuit and if 2 or 3 hours a week of farming means I don't have to buy any mats, I'll live with it.

Ancestor silk has been ok on console and a complete nightmare on PC. Now console is catching up.

On the bright side I don't have the nirnroot QoL issue anymore.\

Edit" Oh and you should be doing all your farming in Craglorn seeing as the highest voucher writs are legendary and nirnhoned.
    Edited by Wreuntzylla on August 30, 2017 3:35AM