The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What Sells?

RogueUM
RogueUM
Soul Shriven
I'm sitting on a pile of freshly obtained writ vouchers, and i'm wondering if it'd be more profitable to sell crafting stations/target dummies/research scrolls as opposed to simply selling the master writ instead. Any suggestions?
  • PhxOldGamer68
    PhxOldGamer68
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to Mournhold, Elden Root or Wayrest where the largest guild traders are located and see how much the items are selling for nowadays.
    PSN NA/EU: DesertDweller99
    PC NA: KaktusKing
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to Mournhold, Elden Root or Wayrest where the largest guild traders are located and see how much the items are selling for nowadays.

^This.^

Last I checked PC NA, the attunables and target dummies were selling for more than the writ voucher value in gold. But, that could be different depending on the platform you're on ...
  • RogueUM
    RogueUM
    Soul Shriven
    I'm more less looking to see what items actually sell. Not to see what items are priced at.
  • RogueUM
    RogueUM
    Soul Shriven
    Like would it be smarter to save vouchers and sell only crafting stations or dummies or should I just buy the 3 voucher research Scrolls and sell those instead? I'm not exactly sure what is in demand right now. Someone else told me it would be smart to save the vouchers till the new DLC tomorrow and buy whatever new items Voucher Merchant sells.
  • Evil_Rurouni
    Evil_Rurouni
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest simply selling the writs.
    Why?
    Because time is money.

Even if you get more gold by spending the writs and selling what you bought the time spent completing the writs might well have been better spent elsewhere.

Then there's the cost of the mats needed to complete the writs to account for.

There's also the fact that whatever you bought with the writs would probably take longer to sell than the writs would.

Selling them right after the new writ furnishing plans become available would probably be the best option.

• SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The research scrolls were going good for a while, they'd sell really fast but haven't sold one this week so guessing there's been a price drop which makes it hardly worth it.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sell the master writs - that way you don't risk using the vouchers for something that you have trouble selling.

I happily sell small writs I cannot be bothered making (600-800g per voucher on PS4) and any larger ones I don't know the motifs for. I actually complete most of my writs and hold on to the vouchers - one day there'll be something else I want with them.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...what a useful response...do research. Ha.

So right now on my server (PS4 NA), the vouchers have an approximate value of $1,000 gold per credit - you could just sell the quest and earn this. This establishes an "opportunity cost" to act as a baseline for the profit question. Should you sell the quests for easy money, or invest in items to sell? If you buy items from the vendor then resell them, the cost to you is writ vouchers spent + materials that went into the items to get them.

(Skip this paragraph if you're already bored.) Interestingly, the master writ system has helped stabilize prices on the mats that go into these items because they create a firmer value for them. What I mean is that a ~100 voucher clothing writ requires standard 8 wax, 4 lining, etc, while a ~5 voucher writ requires everything but the wax, and you need 20 to get the same number of vouchers, so you'll spend either 8 wax or 80 lining for 100 vouchers...the bottom line is that the avenues to vouchers are similar enough that we can use a rule of thumb opportunity cost formula:

Rule of thumb: right now, each voucher costs approx. $1,000 for the voucher itself + $400 for the mats = $1400 each. Note - that's very rough. Consumable master writs make up 1/4-1/2 most people's writ income, and the supplies in these are worth way less. Plus I "cheat" the cost by selling quests calling for expensive mats (nirnroot, akaviri, tainted blood, dwemer, etc) and rebuying quests that don't. But I use $1400 each as a rough figure.

Items I've invested in

Target skeletons: I sell a lot of these clearing $90k after sales fees. They cost 50 vouchers each for the animus stones, so I figure I'm profiting $20k+ each.

Standard craft stations: the opportunity cost is about $50k. I sell these when I can clear over $75k.

Items made from recipes: some of the gold recipe items sell ok, for $20-$25k, like the poisonmakers cabinet. And probably the bathtubs. These only require a one time voucher investment, then require mats in a somewhat more complex calculation, but they're pretty profitable.

Attunable stations: the opportunity cost on these is astronomical, $350k. However, thrymflictuatemin price up over $500 and even $600k. I sold one once, then I just stopped because I've been investing in my 30 attunable station island. But for would be sellers, I'd say pick one of these when they're going for over $450k, but make one you wouldn't mind keeping of you can't off load it. Like I said I'm working toward a mega craft set island, so if I listed one for $500k and make $100k, great, if not it just goes where it was going to go in the first place.
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO it depends on whether you want the gold or you want something else. If you want the gold I'd sell the writs themselves, but animus stones and pumice seem to move well too. Attuneables sell slowly, but when they sell it's for a lot of gold.

For what it's worth, I don't find that gold crafted furnishings sell very well, and certainly not enough to make back the recipe cost in a reasonable amount of time. Buyers on PC-NA don't like paying more than ~5k for furnishings (with exceptions of course, especially for rare things), so that makes profit difficult, and there are a lot of voucher plan items on sale by people who bought the plan on the first day it was available. I buy the gold plans because I have a vain hope I might someday complete the list, but I don't expect to profit from them.

Recipe envelopes are right out, your chances of getting a super-rare plan are low, and the 25-voucher cost is pushing plans out of casual budgets.

And that raises the money per day issue: it's all well and good to post a target skeleton for, say, 75k, with 10k profit, but if it takes three weeks to sell I could used that spot to sell 40k+ of silk in the same time frame.

Tl;dr, mats & attuneables sell better than finished objects.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account