The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dear ZOS - if you won't add or sell us slots can we at least use all the ones we have got already?

Tavore1138
Tavore1138
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have not idea what ZOS are thinking on the oft raised housing slots issue - mainly because as is so often the case they have retreated into their ivory dev tower of solitude and communications to the hoi polloi have not been forthcoming...

If someone has already threaded this idea then I missed it an sorry - but even if there is some technical reason why the housing limit is capped where it is surely there is no reason why we can't use all 800 slots available on a mansion and so on down.

800 you ask? Is that a typo? Surely they mean 700?

No friends I mean the 'special' slots for collectibles, pets and so on - why not simply let us use those freely for whatever we want? Or at least open up the ones meant for trophies so we can put in a plate or a chair instead of a monster head?

I don't see that it would add undue load to the servers and might go some way to allowing us fanatical decorators to put the finishing touches on our homes.

PLEASE!!!!
GM - Malazan
Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
Legio Mortuum
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just to be clear, given the number of views without comment, no-one would like the option to take their 'collectible' slots and use them for normal furnishings?
    GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the record, imo unlocking the various types or even,allowing combined housing slots (where each house slots can be used elsewhere) are not directions I would recommend.

What we need is more functional housing.

We need actual stairs we don't have to build a step at a time.

We need bookcases which can store multiple books as a single interactive unit.

We need "place settings" and other "multi-piece appearing" items.

Imo its not so much that we have too few slots but that the " art" for each piece is almost always.a single item look.

Imo the better and likely more server friendly approach would be if they make available higher quality cost multi-item look "items" like say tabletop displays like:
    A Bosmer bbq
    A Nord drinking contest
    Evening drinks at Vampire Chateau
    Altmer Arcane research table
    Khajit Quality Wares
    Etc etc etc

This would enable fuller looking homes and not require even more hundreds of items to be placed one by one.

But that's how I think.

Not something everyone would prefer.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...I'm thinking of the coding I've seen on games I've worked on (nothing quite similar to ESO's homestead features). There could be tenchical reasons why the slots can't easily be shifted over. I mean, in theory a normal furnishing affects performance the same as a collectible, so it sounds hypothetically possible to give homes a sort of "attribute point" slider. But if Zos said "nope, we can't do that because of inventory tables or database issues" I wouldn't be shocked.

What might also be possible is that they want to circumvent the cost and hassle of adding such a feature simply by upgrading the homestead functionality all together. I would not be surprised to see homestead 2.0 come down the pipe once they've assessed what works from a programming perspective and what customer feedback is. I think homestead was rolled "thin" on purpose to see what the community response was.

In the meantime, personally I think @STEVIL has a brilliant idea. They could consolidate items and offer people decoration solutions that require fewer items. Instead of a recipe making "high elf table, grand," there could be "high elf table, grand, formal banquet" that comes complete with place settings and food as one unit. And down the road maybe they roll a furnishing upgrade system that makes an item more elaborate and fully decorated.

In the meantime, I'm happy to have homestead at all. I just completed a tall ship off the dock at my Hundings palace, and it means I won't have room for silverware inside, but I'm ok with that.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @davey1107

If they were to add a grab bag writ voucher of "loaded" gold version of green blue and purple items, it would keep me spending vouchers for sure.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• JESTERDAN
    JESTERDAN
    ✭✭
    Im probably wrong but I thought housing was instanced away from the main game servers so the performance issues with added space and whatnot would only effect the housing related parts of the game. The term "mega" server is misleading as it implies one massive physical server were as in reality it just refers to the logical architecture.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @davey1107 Overall the difficulty is we have no idea why 700/800 items is the cap - is it a real loading issue around what can be placed within a single housing instance without making housing crazy expensive to support at the server level or was it simply a number they thought no-one would ever exceed... or is it some other technical limitation. I wish they'd say....

So I get that simply giving us sliders or the equivalent may not be a simple task and could be limited by the wider game code.

Equally it does seem to be a general frustration and presumably will impact on their revenue streams as people stop buying items sets and items from the decorator when they have no-where left to place them - so hopefully they are working on some sort of solution.

@Stevil - I'd certainly buy into the idea of pre-made multi-item items as long as they had a decent variety and variation of them. Personally I find indoor decorating is a battle to make things look populated, 'lived in' and not run out of items - I would love to be able to drop in a variety of 'table and chair set 1 - 3 chairs, hlaalu table, wine bottle, 3 glasses and pair of dice' around the place as long as there were several variants on the theme. Each set would save me 10 individual furinshings.

GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    For the record, imo unlocking the various types or even,allowing combined housing slots (where each house slots can be used elsewhere) are not directions I would recommend.

Imo its not so much that we have too few slots but that the " art" for each piece is almost always.a single item look.

Imo the better and likely more server friendly approach would be if they make available higher quality cost multi-item look "items" like say tabletop displays like:
    A Bosmer bbq
    A Nord drinking contest
    Khajit Quality Wares
    Etc etc etc

This would enable fuller looking homes and not require even more hundreds of items to be placed one by one.

But that's how I think.

This is exactly the issue. I end up using 12 items to make stairs and another 14 orcish platforms to make usable flooring to place craft stations. I have said it so many times on so many posts. Why cant ZOS give us better structural items to cut down on having to make these items from dozens of smaller elements. The resources already exist in game for stairs, walls, floors etc. They have over a hundred different types of rocks and bloody pebbles but less than a dozen different platform/floor items. And as for those rough planks, cmon ZOS, 3 rounds of new housing items and you still wont give us something better than Homer Simpsons spice rack!!!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    Why cant ZOS give us better structural items to cut down on having to make these items from dozens of smaller elements. The resources already exist in game for stairs, walls, floors etc. They have over a hundred different types of rocks and bloody pebbles but less than a dozen different platform/floor items. And as for those rough planks, cmon ZOS, 3 rounds of new housing items and you still wont give us something better than Homer Simpsons spice rack!!!
    Because, Z0$ reasons.
    No, really. Z 0 $.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

A Bosmer bbq
    A Nord drinking contest
    Khajit Quality Wares
    Etc etc etc

But that's how I think.

I would like to see it where we can take our pieces and combine them into one item.. such as building our own book case and then placing the books and other items on it as we want, and when we are finished, we then have the option to render it as one item rather than a bunch of individual items. However, once rendered as such, it cannot be deconstructed into seperate items again.

THAT would free up soooo much more space, especially when using the items that are not interactable, like table settings and what not.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who will possibly never fill a house with housing items, I would like the option to store general inventory items in the house instead. I know it won't happen but I own 35 houses - it would clear up any inventory issues I have..... :)
    Edited by disintegr8 on August 30, 2017 4:48AM
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.