The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Your Opininon on the characters in ESO...?

mb10
mb10
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I hate to be that person but does anyone else feel like a large number of the characters in ESO are way too...forgettable and comical?

I wont even get into the characters in Oblivion because they were phenominal but even when compared to Skyrim, they just seem so dumbed down and plain to me. Usually trying to be funny or quite stupid. These are very dark times in ESO compared to the times of Skyrim, the world is practically at war and so many characters seem like nothing is happening. Of course the graphics in ESO might play a part as characters look more "cartoony".

Dont get me wrong, there are some memorable characters like Varen, Razum Dar, Glirion the Redbeard (a personal fav) etc but I feel like the others are just so bland. Ive met a few in the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood and they are no where near as dark or ambigious as the other members of those guilds are in Skyrim for example. Like Brynjolf, Cicero, Delvin Mallory or Nazir.

Anyway, I wanted to know your opinion on the characters on ESO and how you feel about them.
Thank you.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I find it's the other way round. in large part because way more characters come back further on down the line.

In Skyrim, most characters stay put. There are a few like Delphine that relocate, and a few that will follow you around if you ask, but unless you've stuck Aela on Hearthfire Steward duty, she's always going to be hanging out at Jorrvaskr.

In ESO, characters like Naryu or Lady Laurent will follow you zone to zone, as they keep poking around through their own quests. And in many cases, characters from previous zones will bounce off of one another further down the line. Like when Laurent, Telenger, and the Twins are all in one place, or Raz and Naryu interacting.

Some of this can be missed if you're skipping content, and don't know who someone is when you're walking in. But, there's a lot more continuity with recurring characters in ESO than in the previous games.
    Even if you can't, actually, kill Raz.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the ESO characters more memorable in general. Bear in mind that this game has a lot of them - in particular if you do all the DLC.

All recent TES games happen in a time of crisis for a reason or another - which is solved with the help or our character the hero. Whether it's Dragons, portals into Oblivion, the Sixt House, or the Planemeld. Does not mean all npcs need to keep worrying about it, most are farmers, soldiers, merchants etc.

I love it that in ESO even some random npcs have their own lines and comments.

And we have really good characters here. Other than the recurring ones, I can think of the Drake of Blades, King Camoran, Khali and Shazah, Velsa...
    PC-EU
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this one's humble opinion , character development is one of the things ESO does very well . There are all types of people wandering Tamriel and some very serious and some comical . Even those that you may not know but know your accomplishments are very immersive . No I do not believe that ESO's lacking in memorable characters .
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    And we have really good characters here. Other than the recurring ones, I can think of the Drake of Blades, King Camoran, Khali and Shazah, Velsa...

^^THIS^^ to which Id add King Bazrag and a few others...
    Especially the Drake of Blades : despite of having done this quest more or less 50 times (that includes helping fellow guildies through it) I feel truly sad leaving her to her destiny in there.
    Velsa is memorable too.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @starkerealm . There are a boatload of characters that stand out because they turn up later in the game. I remember being taken aback by this when I first realized that this character before me was from another quest in another zone. With TES games, I am used to them being rooted in place and not really seeing them anywhere else (static relocation aside). After that, it became a lot more fun watching people re-enter my character's life as events unfolded.

The single player TES games can do this, but not on the scale of ESO. ESO is an epic story that spans a lot of territory and encouters a lot of characters. The standard TES game is more like a chapter in a story that spans multiple games. They really don't have as much room within the same game to accomplish this. I can't think of any characters in TES that span the single player games, off the top of my head. The ones in the game either stay put, sometimes at our direction, or follow us around.

It is true that there are a lot of amusing and comical situations, like pretty much anything to do with Stibbins, and the Daggers, but I don't find anything particularly wrong with that.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of any characters in TES that span the single player games, off the top of my head.

Neloth jumps from Morrowind to Dragonborn. Also, partial credit to Volrina Quarra who appears in both TES3 Morrowind, and in Online's Morrowind.

Beyond that Mannimarco pops up in Daggerfall and Oblivion. Uriel Septim pops up as a character, just not one that's actually present for the events of the game in Daggerfall and Morrowind. Sinderion appears in Oblivion and (as a corpse) in Skyrim. So, similar situation there. And of course, there's the argument that Sheogorath in Skyrim is actually the player character from Oblivion post-Shivering Isles.

Though, I mean, that I'm really stretching the definitions here and it's still not nearly as many callbacks as you'd see in a single zone of ESO says a lot.

I get what it is though, with the single player games. For all that people groused about ESO being more linear, it does open the options for far more recurring characters.

In contrast, Skyrim has a thing where you'll often find characters who can respond to your membeship in various guilds. Join the Dark Brotherhood after the Companions, and you'll get a line from the ex-Companion assassin. Join the College, and you'll get a line from the ex-instructor there. Join the Dark Brotherhood after you're a member of the Thieves Guild, and Devin will make a comment when you swing by with a weird amulet. That's fine, it's cool.

What Skyrim can't really do is shuffle characters around a lot. Sure, they'll go out and adventure briefly, then come home. But, as a player, you need to be able to find them at any given moment. If Aela was hanging out in Morthal, because of a quest you did six hours ago, and you don't remember that, you might not be able to find her if you're trying to advance the Companions questline.

So, when Skyrim does move a character, it needs to be definitively the final time you'll need them in the old location. Like Delphine. Also like when Jauffre relocates in Oblivion. You're never going back to Weynon Priory in Oblivion. It's done. So off to Cloud Ruler Temple with you.

In contrast, it really doesn't matter if Naryu is in Eastmarch or Deshaan. It really doesn't matter if she's in both places at once. Because, the game isn't trying to simulate a massive open world in the same way. It can allow characters to wander the world more freely, because it doesn't need to let those characters also physically wander the map at the same time.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major characters are well done.

Many of the minor characters is designed to be funny, or at lest the memorable ones are, you don't remember the "so much to do, so little time" characters, only benefit is that they have multiple random lines.
    You remember: cry me an river, perhaps you can float out of Craglorn.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    I hate to be that person but does anyone else feel like a large number of the characters in ESO are way too...forgettable and comical?

I wont even get into the characters in Oblivion because they were phenominal but even when compared to Skyrim, they just seem so dumbed down and plain to me. Usually trying to be funny or quite stupid. These are very dark times in ESO compared to the times of Skyrim, the world is practically at war and so many characters seem like nothing is happening. Of course the graphics in ESO might play a part as characters look more "cartoony".

Dont get me wrong, there are some memorable characters like Varen, Razum Dar, Glirion the Redbeard (a personal fav) etc but I feel like the others are just so bland. Ive met a few in the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood and they are no where near as dark or ambigious as the other members of those guilds are in Skyrim for example. Like Brynjolf, Cicero, Delvin Mallory or Nazir.

Anyway, I wanted to know your opinion on the characters on ESO and how you feel about them.
    Thank you.

Eweli Sharp-Arrow in the AD questline is top hot.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the characters in ESO are generally well created, though inevitably some are more memorable than others. A few of them irritate me no end, but at least they have made an impression.

The lesser characters and the snippets of story we are presented with interest me far more than the major players, such as the sorry tale of Three-Toes in Bleakrock. I quite like subtlety, and it is the minor NPCs I warm to more than anything else.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Jacen_Veron
    Jacen_Veron
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only extremely noticeable problem with characters is when, due to certain quest decisions, characters tend to "vanish" and "re-appear" later on. Notable examples being: Gloria Fausta or worse Razum-Dar.

This is a common problem in most "script"-based games, where the player is given a choice to kill or save a character. This often, regardless of choice, slates the character for death or writes them off the script with little to no explanation.

With recent quests in the Morrowind Chapter, I have a strong feeling this will happen again within the story, with what feels like what would have been returning characters simply won't show up due to the "kill or no kill?" option in their questline. For example: Veya and Farwen Temorlire

There is also the case that no dlc characters have returned in later added regions so far. Something I hope is rectified in later dlc's, as I feel some of their stories haven't been expanded on enough; like Eveli Sharp-Arrow or Tanek.

Another glaring issue is all the plotlines that characters seemingly forget; I.E. the vague Fate-Bearer prophecy, and the ongoing Three-Banner War that everyone forgot about.

Prithee never forget Clanker.
    May his soul gem rest in pieces.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me the characters and their development are one of ESO's strong points. I was interested enough in the writing to remember most of the quests and stories for each faction, even ones I've only done a couple of times, several months apart.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is also the case that no dlc characters have returned in later added regions so far. Something I hope is rectified in later dlc's, as I feel some of their stories haven't been expanded on enough; like Eveli Sharp-Arrow or Tanek.

^This IMO is a big problem. They drop hints that so-and-so will appear again, but then seem to recall that they can't guarantee that all the players who bought that DLC will buy the next one with that person in it and vice-versa, then don't end up adding them in. It is difficult to look forward to those sorts of things when they repeatedly never happen, and that kills a lot of the hype they could have gotten by following through.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, so far the only direct continuity for characters between DLC, that I can think of, is Naryu referencing her Gold Coast quests on Vvardenfell. So, even then, a core game character.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After that, it became a lot more fun watching people re-enter my character's life as events unfolded.
    Have you ever heard the old saying, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be"?

She's one of the most annoying NPCs in the game and they made her *follow* you to oblivion and back ...
    headbang.gif
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    After that, it became a lot more fun watching people re-enter my character's life as events unfolded.
    Have you ever heard the old saying, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be"?

She's one of the most annoying NPCs in the game and they made her *follow* you to oblivion and back ...
    headbang.gif

Except that's not her dialog, Andy. She actually butchers the quote and basic grammar to tell us, "neither a borrower or a lender be." *twitches*
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the only extremely noticeable problem with characters is when, due to certain quest decisions, characters tend to "vanish" and "re-appear" later on. Notable examples being: Gloria Fausta or worse Razum-Dar.

This is a common problem in most "script"-based games, where the player is given a choice to kill or save a character. This often, regardless of choice, slates the character for death or writes them off the script with little to no explanation.

With recent quests in the Morrowind Chapter, I have a strong feeling this will happen again within the story, with what feels like what would have been returning characters simply won't show up due to the "kill or no kill?" option in their questline. For example: Veya and Farwen Temorlire

Another glaring issue is all the plotlines that characters seemingly forget; I.E. the vague Fate-Bearer prophecy, and the ongoing Three-Banner War that everyone forgot about.

Prithee never forget Clanker.
    May his soul gem rest in pieces.

Narsis Dren is first encountered in Wrothgar, and reappears in Morrowind. While that is the only one I can recall right now. Id say that he definitely falls into the DLC characters.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Jacen_Veron
    Jacen_Veron
    ✭✭✭

Narsis Dren is first encountered in Wrothgar, and reappears in Morrowind. While that is the only one I can recall right now. Id say that he definitely falls into the DLC characters.

This is true, I kinda forgot about Narsis, he wasn't the most memorable character for me. He was very dry and typical.

I hope that the Morrowind Chapter is more of a turning point in the story where we get a new returning cast, specifically from the dlc's, to connect with in future story dlc. Hopefully leading to another big team-up in the inevitable Daedra War.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dren's another main game character... sorta. He originally popped up in one of the hireling mail chains back at launch. So his introduction in Wrothgar was, "here's someone you already know about, (potentially.)"

I believe he's also the author of a couple in game books, though I'm less certain of that.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe he's also the author of a couple in game books, though I'm less certain of that.

You're looking for these:

Dwemer Dreams
    On Stepping Lightly

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're looking for these:

Dwemer Dreams
    On Stepping Lightly

Yeah. But, did you follow those links? On Stepping Lightly is unintentionally hilarious.

Well, okay, probably intentionally, but give it a second.

The book appears in Skyrim and in ESO. Which is common enough on its own. There's a lot of books that have crossed over from the single player games into ESO. It's also not uncommon for minor changes to be made between editions. Usually editorial.

However, On Stepping Lightly has significant differences between the two versions.

In fact, I'm not even sure The Imperial Library has realized this, as they link the wrong text for the Online version.

To be clear, the 4th Era version from Skyrim is not written by Narsis Dren. While large parts of the text are shared, the ESO version is far more self obsessed.

Given the content of the two books, I'm inclined to assume Dren is a plagiarist. He found a copy of the 4th Era book rewrote pieces, and is passing it off as his own. Which, frankly, is hilarious to me.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given the content of the two books, I'm inclined to assume Dren is a plagiarist. He found a copy of the 4th Era book rewrote pieces, and is passing it off as his own. Which, frankly, is hilarious to me.

You don't even need to read the books, have you played his quests? This is the guy who
    tries to get credit for removing Draugr he unleashed in the first place and is terrified of an ordinary non-hostile spider.

It's obvious he's supposed to be an Elder Scrolls equivalent to Lockhart. :D

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't even need to read the books, have you played his quests? This is the guy who
    tries to get credit for removing Draugr he unleashed in the first place and is terrified of an ordinary non-hostile spider.

It's obvious he's supposed to be an Elder Scrolls equivalent to Lockhart. :D

You're not saying Narsis may be a little narcissistic? :p
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're not saying Narsis may be a little narcissistic? :p

Don't you mean Narsistic? >:);)

• Berret
    Berret
    ✭✭✭
    I find ESO's more memorable than the bunch, followed by Oblivion.

Skyrim's are memorable for the wrong reason and that's do to how robotic they are and how they repeat the same line of dialog over and over again.

• Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should add sanguine... In skyrim you drink with him and wake up in a debella temple groping a statue... Interesting fella... :)
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that the Mane, Queen Aryenn and Razum'Dar standing oustide the temple in Dune indefinitely to be rather annoying. There certainly are memorable characters, but I do find most of them forgettable, mostly because they don't act any different as time goes on. The development stops, stonewalls, once you finish the questline. Only a few characters make cameos here and there but those don't feel all that engaging.

It'd be nice if these characters would disappear from the final spot of their quest lines and were seen in the world continuing their work. If I could just see Queen Aryenn giving speeches at various cities randomly, or Razum'Dar sneaking around and killing Heritance followers now and then, then that'd keep them more alive and not so forgettable.
  • Fereldyn
    Fereldyn
    ✭✭
    I think ESO's characters are more difficult, but not forgettable, and I'm sometimes guilty of blending the two.

By difficult, I purely mean difficult to keep track of. There are a lot of people in a lot of places doing a lot of things, and I often find myself Googling certain names to get a kick-start as to why what I'm doing is relevant, particularly when I've taken breaks away from it for awhile.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, there's a lot more continuity with recurring characters in ESO than in the previous games

I do generally regard the single player games as superior to ESO in most respects but have to admit that ESO does this really well. There's a lot more characters who have substantial stories which you play a recurring role in.
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »

Thank you.

I disagree, there is character developement, plot, everything you need for a good immersive experience. I think its just the MMO style of the game thats turning you guys off, not the character themselves.

Master Debater
  • Volsera
    Volsera
    ✭✭✭
    They are memorable and especially recurring characters, like Lady Laurent and Stibbons are something that I did not see in the single player games and I find it quite refreshing.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.