Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How we can all be playing the same Character at the same time.

Smasherx74
Smasherx74
✭✭✭✭✭
A Dragon Break, sometimes referred to as an un-time, is a temporal phenomenon that involves a splitting of the natural timeline which results in branching parallel realities where the same events occur differently, or not at all. At the end of a Dragon Break, the timeline reconnects making all possibilities and outcomes truth, though contradictory to each other.

When molag bal tried to bring nirn into oblivion he created a dragonbreak, where an infinite number of "Heros" would stop him. He states that he'll remove you from history, and that's what will happen. History will only record the outcome of the interregnum not the events that took place since they'll be incomprehensible. Unless someone can figure out a dragonbreak occurred during this time and record it before the timeline merges all our actions.

If you don't understand think of it this way. If I complete the fighters guild as me, and you did the same thing but as you. Historically we both did the same thing but we're different people. So if someone who saw me in their timeline recorded it, then that same person in your timeline recorded you, when the dragonbreak ends both those journals/records must be "true". The only way to make them true is to make the hero unknown, or rather "remove them from history" just like molag bal said. (when you defeat a dolmen molag bal sometime says he'll remove you from history)

Therefor it is lore-friendly for all of us to be playing the "same character", and it ties into molag bals claims.
Edited by Smasherx74 on August 19, 2017 11:08PM
Master Debater
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    Therefor it is lore-friendly for all of us to be playing the "same character", and it ties into molag bals claims.

Yeah, more or less. The Vestige is a singular entity, but each one exists in parallel. The only unusual thing about ESO's dragon break is that the parallel versions can interact directly with one another.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope that if they ever do try to explain it, they don't use the Dragon Break theory. Such a cop-out.

To answer the question (without Dragon Break theory), we're not all playing the same character. There's only one Vestige, and that is you. Every other player character is just a generic adventurer.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I really hope that if they ever do try to explain it, they don't use the Dragon Break theory. Such a cop-out.

To answer the question (without Dragon Break theory), we're not all playing the same character. There's only one Vestige, and that is you. Every other player character is just a generic adventurer.

Yeah, the Dragon Break is an amusing concept from Morrowind to justify all of the potential Daggerfall endings being canon. The extension into Oblivion and Skyrim, where it gets used to justify things like, "no, really, The Last Dragonborn flipped out and went on a murderous rampage before reverting the universe and proceeding in a more restrained way, is also amusing, though not particularly satisfying as a concept.

But, yeah, applying it to ESO feels underwhelming.
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    So this is why so many of the quests result in the same outcomne regardless of our "choices".
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd much rather have a lore realistic answer to how we're all able to complete the same quests and do the same things while being different people. They can't be "generic adventurers" if they're saving nirn from molag bal. They're/we're all taking the same actions as the vestige.

I'm going to assume bethesda writers will have a character who recorded our actions in ESO and the dragonbreak is witnessed. So everyone's actions will still have meaning because the "vestige" will be a number of different people in one.
    Master Debater
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's some good headcanon fuel. Perhaps some quality of being a Vestige prevents them from being remembered because of Molag Bal's influence. As far as I remember they're formed from the azure plasm of his realm like daedra. He might have more power over their final fate than we know.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on August 21, 2017 5:31AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the vestige only our character is the vestige. It is a private story which is why no one can join you in it. Granted, we all do it but that is irrelevant
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kahina wrote: »
    So this is why so many of the quests result in the same outcomne regardless of our "choices".

Sorta yes, sorta no.

It does make things easier for the developers, if there's only one outcome for a quest, regardless of choices. Especially if they want to revisit that down the line. So, this is more of a practical concern, more than a lore based one.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd much rather have a lore realistic answer to how we're all able to complete the same quests and do the same things while being different people. They can't be "generic adventurers" if they're saving nirn from molag bal. They're/we're all taking the same actions as the vestige.
    Only one character saves Nirn from Molag Bal, and that's the character you play. Everyone else does not save Nirn from Molag Bal. If they are all saving Nirn from Molag Bal, you'd see them all during those quests, but you don't, because you (and only you) are the Vestige. In gameplay terms, this is why the Main Quest is a solo instance.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A Dragon Break, sometimes referred to as an un-time, is a temporal phenomenon that involves a splitting of the natural timeline which results in branching parallel realities where the same events occur differently, or not at all. At the end of a Dragon Break, the timeline reconnects making all possibilities and outcomes truth, though contradictory to each other.

When molag bal tried to bring nirn into oblivion he created a dragonbreak, where an infinite number of "Heros" would stop him. He states that he'll remove you from history, and that's what will happen. History will only record the outcome of the interregnum not the events that took place since they'll be incomprehensible. Unless someone can figure out a dragonbreak occurred during this time and record it before the timeline merges all our actions.

If you don't understand think of it this way. If I complete the fighters guild as me, and you did the same thing but as you. Historically we both did the same thing but we're different people. So if someone who saw me in their timeline recorded it, then that same person in your timeline recorded you, when the dragonbreak ends both those journals/records must be "true". The only way to make them true is to make the hero unknown, or rather "remove them from history" just like molag bal said. (when you defeat a dolmen molag bal sometime says he'll remove you from history)

THIS and also: It takes all of us together across every dimension, to subdue Molag Bal.....and why we have to do pledges again and again is that they are coming again and again from other dimensions to ours, because we've already killed them in ours xD and they want to take over All The Dimensions!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    THIS and also: It takes all of us together across every dimension, to subdue Molag Bal.....
    What now? It takes you, and only you, about 5 minutes to subdue Molag Bal. All by yourself. (Albeit with a bit of Chim-el Adabal.)
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the lore books in ESVI will tell tales of a semi-afk hero wearing mismatched gear who resto light attacked the God of Schemes to death while chilling on netflix on his secondary monitor.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    THIS and also: It takes all of us together across every dimension, to subdue Molag Bal.....
    What now? It takes you, and only you, about 5 minutes to subdue Molag Bal. All by yourself. (Albeit with a bit of Chim-el Adabal.)

Yes - people have LAUNDRY DAY even in Tamriel. :P
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    the lore books in ESVI will tell tales of a semi-afk hero wearing mismatched gear who resto light attacked the God of Schemes to death while chilling on netflix on his secondary monitor.

And this is a surprise? In Oblivion they erected statues to a hero in mismatched gear. :p
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a dragon break or maybe not or maybe just another possible explanation on why there are multiple vestiges, singular only in the different perspectives each one might experience when doing the same events.

From the lore book: Chaotic Creatia:

http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/chaotic-creatia-the-azure-plasm-lorebook/

The Sojourner scoffed at my theory, but seemed taken with the idea nonetheless. He went on to speculate that if such a thing were possible, it would probably occur in a situation where the Mundus was in existential jeopardy. In that case the Heart of Nirn would spontaneously generate such "paragon" individuals as a way of defending itself from destruction, in a manner analogous to the way the mortal body fights off infection.
    Edited by Eporem on August 21, 2017 2:08PM
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I play Skyrim and create two character. First will destroy whole Dark Brotherhood sanctuary killing Astrid, Nazir, etc. and second will join them, then which version is canon and is this also "Dragon Break"? I hate theory about multiple vestiges, because my Vestige never heard from anyone that he is not the only one. Molag Bal don't have power to remove me from history unless he achieve CHIM. He says that as metaphor of killing me. You can say Dragon Break about every TES game. Did Dragonborn join Stormcloaks or Imperials? Did Champion of Cyrodiil join Mania or Dementia? Did Nerevarine become werewolf or help Skaals? Only main quest is canon, but you are making your own hiistory during game. As long as they don't make it canon, theory about multiple vestiges is only your fanfiction.
    PC/EU
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only one character saves Nirn from Molag Bal, and that's the character you play. Everyone else does not save Nirn from Molag Bal. If they are all saving Nirn from Molag Bal, you'd see them all during those quests, but you don't, because you (and only you) are the Vestige. In gameplay terms, this is why the Main Quest is a solo instance.

You don't seem to understand that I am only my perspective. In my perspective, just like yours and everyone else, I've saved nirn and did heroic things. Your perspective is the same thing, this is because there is what is known as a "Dragonbreak". There is a parallel universe for every character to complete the quests in game and save nirn. Once the dragonbreak ends the actions of everyone in every parallel universe becomes true, therefor removing any detail or information about there being multiple people doing the exact same thing at the exact same time.

You can't pick and choose what is true or not lore wise. Every action that you can take has been/will be taken by someone else as well. Our actions are literally crafting the lore, and therefor the only way for them all to actually have happen then there has to be a dragonbreak. Considering there is a dragonbreak then that means all of our actions did happen, even if there will be no recorded history of them, which molag bal has referenced.

For example, let's say we have a dragonbreak with 3 parallel universes of three different cats. Black, white and orange. All three cats knock over the TV in their own realities. The points at which time they are doing different things, say the Black cat is shitting the White cat is eating and Orange cat is sleeping. Their parallel universes lapse over into each other, allowing those cats to all at the same time do their actions since they don't contradict each other. But once they take the same action, at same time, then their universes split, when the contradiction stops it reemerges and forces every contradiction to be "true".

This means to the black, white and orange cat they all remember knocking the TV over. Even though it's not possible for them all to be at the same place in time, it has to become true even if only in memory for the universe to go back to 1 again.

Now apply this to ESO. Since we have memories of saving nirn, then it must be true. The only way for ti to be true, is for there to be a dragonbreak. You can't tell us what we did, so your argument of "You did not save nirn" is invalid.

Edited by Smasherx74 on August 22, 2017 8:20PM
    Master Debater
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I play Skyrim and create two character. First will destroy whole Dark Brotherhood sanctuary killing Astrid, Nazir, etc. and second will join them, then which version is canon and is this also "Dragon Break"? I hate theory about multiple vestiges, because my Vestige never heard from anyone that he is not the only one. Molag Bal don't have power to remove me from history unless he achieve CHIM. He says that as metaphor of killing me. You can say Dragon Break about every TES game. Did Dragonborn join Stormcloaks or Imperials? Did Champion of Cyrodiil join Mania or Dementia? Did Nerevarine become werewolf or help Skaals? Only main quest is canon, but you are making your own hiistory during game. As long as they don't make it canon, theory about multiple vestiges is only your fanfiction.

A dragonbreak is only known if it's somehow witnessed. Else everyone will be totally unaware of the dragonbreak. So it's possible but unlikely. In oblivion we know the hero of kvatch ended up becoming sheogorath, and confirmed in Skyrim. Does that mean there has to be a dragonbreak for him to complete all of the possible tasks he can? No it doesn't. Just as with skyrim, so long as the endings don't countradict each other then there is no need for a dragonbreak. We can't assume the (lack of) capabilities for a ES character, we can only know what they can/did achieve. So the dragonborn most certainly could of killed aludin, became arch mage, listener, and all that stuff.

In ESO things are much different. This is a multiplayer game, where we KNOW these other people we see running around ARE actually playing the same game as we are at the same time. This means for all of our actions to be true, then there must be a dragonbreak.

I'm not trying to write lore here, I'm simply telling you how existing lore backs up the notion of all of our characters being able to complete all of the same quests.
    Master Debater
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I play Skyrim and create two character. First will destroy whole Dark Brotherhood sanctuary killing Astrid, Nazir, etc. and second will join them, then which version is canon and is this also "Dragon Break"?

No, a dragon break is when you roll up your character, go, meet Astrid, quicksave, kill her, wipe out the brotherhood, then change your mind, after they're all dead and reload your old save, and join the Brotherhood normally. That's a Dragon Break.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face it, no one wants to play a game as Joe Commoner the bread baker, to whom nothing happens of consequence. We all want to play as Hero's. So, there are lots of Hero's in the game.

I accept that and I am more than willing to suspend belief on this gaming convention. I need no Lore Crutch.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A dragonbreak is only known if it's somehow witnessed. Else everyone will be totally unaware of the dragonbreak. So it's possible but unlikely. In oblivion we know the hero of kvatch ended up becoming sheogorath, and confirmed in Skyrim. Does that mean there has to be a dragonbreak for him to complete all of the possible tasks he can? No it doesn't. Just as with skyrim, so long as the endings don't countradict each other then there is no need for a dragonbreak. We can't assume the (lack of) capabilities for a ES character, we can only know what they can/did achieve. So the dragonborn most certainly could of killed aludin, became arch mage, listener, and all that stuff.

In ESO things are much different. This is a multiplayer game, where we KNOW these other people we see running around ARE actually playing the same game as we are at the same time. This means for all of our actions to be true, then there must be a dragonbreak.

I'm not trying to write lore here, I'm simply telling you how existing lore backs up the notion of all of our characters being able to complete all of the same quests.

Remember that you CAN'T see all those players running around during mainquest. It can be done solo only. Your character will never see other guys fighting Molag Bal or Mannimarco and will never hear about it. No one in game ever said anything about multiple vestiges so it's not canon. ESO is not only one MMO with story line and other MMOs don't have Dragon Break. It's still only fanfiction.
    PC/EU
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    @Smasherx74 An in-universe dragon break isn't influenced by a meta perspective. Your qualifications for a dragon break seem pretty arbitrary, and not based in established lore. If you can explain without the inclusion of any out of game perception, then you might have a case. Otherwise, there's not a reason ESO needs to be explained with a dragon break that doesn't apply to single player games.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No one in game ever said anything about multiple vestiges so it's not canon.

while this is true in game there is datamined quest dialoge for the summerset isles. The Altmer there are very aware that there is multiple vestiges all preforming the same takes with the inability to die. They call us Numinous.

• Hanzus
    Hanzus
    ✭✭✭

This is how I see it too.

"Walk always in the light, or we will drag you to it."
    -Vigilant of Stendarr

Nords, the true sons of Skyrim!
    PC NA
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Face it, no one wants to play a game as Joe Commoner the bread baker, to whom nothing happens of consequence. We all want to play as Hero's. So, there are lots of Hero's in the game.

I accept that and I am more than willing to suspend belief on this gaming convention. I need no Lore Crutch.

That's not strictly true. As evidenced by the people who do, legitimately, set up shop in Sandbox MMOs, and don't engage with heroics at all. Star Wars Galaxies comes to mind as an example where a lot of players really did run off and chase non-combat classes. But, players like that are the minority, and ESO really isn't set up to support that kind of gameplay, even if the single player games kinda are.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭

while this is true in game there is datamined quest dialoge for the summerset isles. The Altmer there are very aware that there is multiple vestiges all preforming the same takes with the inability to die. They call us Numinous.

If we are talking about quests. Do you guys remember quests where you can have one npc as companion? Like at the end of Khenarthi's Roost there was quest named "The Tempest Unleashed", where you can choose Sergeant Firion or Gathwen to follow you to the quay. When you see "other vestiges" running around, they will have not named npc as followers (just "Marine" or something like that). So they are not doing the same thing and they are not Vestiges, but just another guys trying to help. I'm not sure what quest on Auridon you have in mind, but If you mean this one about infiltrating island of Veiled Heritance, then "other vestiges" are just other guys who wants to join Veiled Heritnce.
    PC/EU
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If we are talking about quests. Do you guys remember quests where you can have one npc as companion? Like at the end of Khenarthi's Roost there was quest named "The Tempest Unleashed", where you can choose Sergeant Firion or Gathwen to follow you to the quay. When you see "other vestiges" running around, they will have not named npc as followers (just "Marine" or something like that). So they are not doing the same thing and they are not Vestiges, but just another guys trying to help. I'm not sure what quest on Auridon you have in mind, but If you mean this one about infiltrating island of Veiled Heritance, then "other vestiges" are just other guys who wants to join Veiled Heritnce.

@Shardan4968 , TheNuminous1 is talking about a bunch of content that was cut. Link. As there have been some other things changed besides making 'Numinous' into 'Vestige' (ex: Queen Ayrenn's name), odds are good even if they resurrect those exact quests, they'll change the dialogue to match what we have now.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To make it a bit more complicated:
    Book found in a dungeon in Bangkorai:
    en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Lady_Edwyge%27s_Notes

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cut content can't be considered canon. But even if something like that does appear, there's no issue with multiple 'Numinous' performing the same tasks, as that refers to every player character being Soul Shriven. There are multiple Soul Shriven, but still only one Vestige.

You don't seem to understand that I am only my perspective. In my perspective, just like yours and everyone else, I've saved nirn and did heroic things. Your perspective is the same thing, this is because there is what is known as a "Dragonbreak".
    No, the perspective is the same because it is literally the same. Just like in Skyrim we all play the Dragonborn, in ESO we all play the Vestige. The Vestige, not a Vestige. There's no Dragon Break there because there's no contradictions. From my perspective, I saved Nirn, and you and everyone else are Adventurers. From your perspective, you saved Nirn, and me and everyone else are adventurers. But those are out-of-character perspectives. From the Vestige's perspective, the Vestige saved Nirn, and everyone else is an adventurer, and there's no contradiction with that. Dragon Breaks are only needed to resolve in-world contradictions, which would only exist in this instance if two different characters in-world performed the actions of the Vestige. And that can't happen because only one Vestige character ever enters a main quest location.

eso_nya wrote: »
    To make it a bit more complicated:
    Book found in a dungeon in Bangkorai:
    en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Lady_Edwyge%27s_Notes
    That's not complicated, that's just an entirely valid localised time bubble. And yes, in the purest definition of the term, that would be a localised Dragon Break.
    Edited by Enodoc on August 23, 2017 1:10PM
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    while its true the cut content does not count as canon. there is nothing preventing them from renaming some stuff changing a few things around and giving us summerset isle with a majority of those quests in the future. and the concept that the Altmer are aware of there being multiple Numinous all having dont the same tasks will mostly likely be there still.