The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why no difficulty settings ?

GrimClaw
GrimClaw
✭✭✭
I'm a new player and really like how the quests are made. But the balance between talk and fight is't right - it's like 30 minutes talking, 1 minute fighting.

So, why are there no difficulty settings like in Skyrim? No one cares if a player wants to play on Epic difficulty for maximuim challenge.
I don't care about mobs in the outer world which are shared with other players, I'm talking about instanced zones.

A simple stats multiplier is super easy to add...
  • megajra
    megajra
    ✭✭
    I don't know where you would like to have difficulty settings added- this game adjust you to the zone in which you play.

If you have difficulty levels it would harm balance of the game and it won't be fair for the players.

If you are talking about dungeons it's adjusted to the group level (I don't remember details) and if you want harder game there you can go to veteran versions when you reach level 50. I don't know if there are other additional requirements for veteran dungeons.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because this is an MMO with some competitive aspects and (some) players like to compete for "best whatever". This implies that the instances are the same for everyone, with no individually adjusted difficulty level.

Also, the most difficult instances require training, experience, specific gear, understanding some mechanics, etc... which takes time, require players to group up, socialize and coordinate each other. All this takes time. It's essential for player retention. MMOs are not designed to be ever "finished" nor "beaten", they're intended to be played endlessly. Individual difficulty sliders would go against that.
  • Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    it's an MMO dude...
    XBL GT: CWB Hempire
    Bright moons guide your steps.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For instanced content there is normal and veteran. Non instanced content difficulty varies but it's generally lower than the former, except world bosses which are about as tough as a normal dungeon boss. The ones in DLC areas are as tough as a veteran dungeon boss.
    Edited by Asardes on August 19, 2017 6:39PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • GrimClaw
    GrimClaw
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is absolutly not a competetive game, compared to other MMOs. It's heavily set on questing and there should be difficulty settings since it plays like Skyrim. Not talking about Dungeons / Raids at all.
    Edited by GrimClaw on August 20, 2017 6:51PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrimClaw wrote: »
    ESO is absolutly not a competetive game, compared to other MMOs. It's heavily set on questing and there should be difficulty settings since it plays like Skyrim. Not talking about Dungeons / Raids at all.

Please explain where and how it plays like Skyrim ? ESO doesn't play like Skyrim AT ALL.

• JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First the combat is totally different. Second, difficulty settings don't really work when you are sharing the world with other players. All mobs are CP 160. Don't rush between quest points. There are plenty of mobs in between. If it is too easy gimp yourself to make it harder.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would that work though? If the difficulty is higher, do you get more XP? If so, that's not fair, as someone will be getting more XP than someone else for completing the same content. If you don't get more XP, what's the point? If the reward is going to be the same anyway you might as well just play it on easy.

The best way to implement a "difficulty slider" is to do it yourself. The less attribute points/champion points you have assigned, and the lower your equipment rating, the higher the difficulty.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • KATObloodpaw
    KATObloodpaw
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a new player and really like how the quests are made. But the balance between talk and fight is't right - it's like 30 minutes talking, 1 minute fighting.

So, why are there no difficulty settings like in Skyrim? No one cares if a player wants to play on Epic difficulty for maximuim challenge.
    I don't care about mobs in the outer world which are shared with other players, I'm talking about instanced zones.

A simple stats multiplier is super easy to add...

Hey Grim, The quests can be a little lengthy and are usually more story oriented.I also think they don't have a difficulty multiplier to encourage players to interact and play with each other since it is an MMO. It seems that most of the harder activities are designed for groups.If you are looking for more action delves, public dungeons/dungeons,world boss',dolmens,PVP,and trials are the way to go.
    Edited by KATObloodpaw on August 23, 2017 6:51AM
    GT:Shock Value1134