Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I have absolutely no idea what skills to take...

• Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    I'll need to practise once I settle down on some skill setup. Did someone mention there were training dummies in ESO?

Yes, but getting them can be quite expensive, either in in-game resources or real life money. One way is by doing crafting writs (as a crafter, you can become certified in your profession(s) such as Tailoring, Blacksmithing, Woodworking etc. and each day you can pick up a writ - a request to craft some random pieces of equipment and deliver them for some rewards. One of the possible - and rare - rewards are Master Writs awarding Writ Vouchers which, when you have enough of them, you can turn in to a special NPC who then gives you the special materials needed, among others, to craft the training dummy...but apart form the fact that RNG is unforgiving, materials scarce as a new player, you also need to have a high level crafter of multiple professions in order to make the dummy. It would be a long-term investment if you wanted to go this route.)

The alternative is to buy it in the Crown Store.

You can also visit the house of someone who has one already and use it, if they allow it. For example, my boyfriend and I pooled our resources in order to build our dummy and we both use it although technically it's in his house.

The dummy is mostly used for testing one's DPS to see if you're ready for certain endgame content though, and it isn't terribly useful for learning mechanics, because it just stands there doing nothing. You can, of course, practise your rotation on it.
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on August 3, 2017 10:06AM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I've played the sorcerer a little more and am lvl 23 now.
    I got a basic idea about the skills, but still not quite sure how to efficiently put skills together in the two bars.

Stuff I put on the first bar:
    Force Pulse, Destructive touch (I love the knockback effect with fire staff), Crystal Blast, Haunting Curse, and Boundless storm.
    2nd bar:
    Lightning Splash, Weakness to Elements, Anulnment. (plus two others just to get XP for them).

I am not sure what to put where. I thought I'd put (de)buffs and AoE stuff (I haven't found much if anything yet though) on the 2nd bar, but in the case of Boundless Storm, I use it all the time for the speed buff, and I am lazy to keep switching bars out of combat. Also, Mage's Wrath. Looks useful "on paper", but I'm not sure where to put it at all. I understand it's a finisher skill, but...
    I also put the instant casting spells first, and those with longer duration or some cast time after, so I basically use the quickbar backwards :D

Stuff I haven't found much use for or stuff I don't know how to use:
    1) Encase, because it doesn't work 70% of the time. Basically, nothing happens, and even if it does, the duration is useless.
    2) Heavy attacks. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it takes like three seconds to load these up, and I can do a lot more damage by other means in that time. Also, mobs usually kill me if I stand still for that long.
    3) Overload. I most probably don't fully understand how to use it, but when I activate it, I lose all my skills and something completely different appears in the quickbar, which confuses the hell out of me. I'd swap it for something else but I am not sure.

I also need some survivability, but I am not sure where to get any besides potions and the damage shield from Light Armour skill line.

Lastly, morphs. I am not sure what to morph Crystal Blast, Overload (if I ever decide to keep using it) and Destructive Touch into.
    Edited by Octopuss on August 10, 2017 12:01PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crystal blast, you want crystal fragment who has chance of being an instance cast.
    I use energy overload for the magic back, unless you do plenty of heavy attack in overload its better.

For survival:
    The clanfear is designed to tank bosses, activate it again to heal both you and him.
    He need to be on both bars if you swap.

Surge, you probably don't have this but then you get it its awesome, critical hits heals you this includes damage over time effects.

Finally get some to craft you some training gear of an mage set, and get some blue health+ magic food.
    This will boost you a lot.
    Edited by zaria on August 10, 2017 1:13PM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else interested in adding some input?
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess not.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really can't help on what skills to use for a sorcerer (never played one) but a few ideas for developing your bars that helped me.
    Bar switch in combat messed with me at first so I loaded only buff skills and for you maybe shields on one bar so at the start of a battle hit all them bar swap to your fighting skills and have at them.
    As you get used to this I would then put a gap closer on this bar buff up jump in swap and attack.
    As you get used to doing this you will develop your rotation skill so you put dots and ground effects down swap for meelie count down your time swap and put down your dots and ground effects again
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭

i would suggest using a restoration staff on your second bar if you need more survivability. all of the skills in this skill line heal you. as a low lvl mag sorc, you may not get much healing from surge. you can still use some sorc class skills on the restoration staff bar also.

most essential skills for dmg would probably be curse, liquid lightning, mages wrath, and force pulse. fighting low level mobs should not need much more than those to kill them. use magic shields (like hardened ward and annulment) and try some restoration skills to fill out your skill bars provide the survivability you need.
    Edited by Saint314Louis1985 on August 17, 2017 2:54PM
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, my 2 cents....

You're ruining the game, man, lol. Just play with everything and try it out. It's an MMORPG after all. It's all useful and educational, because everyone's playstyle is so different. What works on a guide might not work for you.

Besides, nothing in this game is set in stone. You can reset your skills, morphs, abilities points, everything. In fact, respecing will be monthly or quarterly thing if you continue to get skill points (I have 302). And this is the only game where you have the freedom to do anything with any class. The class doesn't determine the job. So as a sorcerer, dude you can be a tank, dps or healer.... it's all up to you and in your hands.

Please, just enjoy the game. Nothing you do is wrong, and everything you do is of interest to us here on the forums. We love new and exciting ***, it makes it fun that way!

Good luck! Have fun!
    .... I have to admit, the devs do listen to reason, if not to the forums. Thank you for "nameplates", a welcome addition to immersion, as well as the text chat box for PS4, which only comes on the screen when I need it too, and helps this gameplay SO MUCH MORE then without it. THANK YOU for the additions. Very much appreciated.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i would suggest using a restoration staff on your second bar if you need more survivability. all of the skills in this skill line heal you. as a low lvl mag sorc, you may not get much healing from surge. you can still use some sorc class skills on the restoration staff bar also.

most essential skills for dmg would probably be curse, liquid lightning, mages wrath, and force pulse. fighting low level mobs should not need much more than those to kill them. use magic shields (like hardened ward and annulment) and try some restoration skills to fill out your skill bars provide the survivability you need.
    Restoration staff back bar is also nice for leveling it, and yes its nice for survival.
    Then leveling up its nice to train all skills, some might look useless but is very nice for later use.

However the clanfear is your personal tank and can heal you and him.
    Press the summon button again for heal.
    Against quest bosses its I win button.

Still the best tips is get some in guild to craft some gear and some blue food, it make an night to day difference.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a templar myself. The jesus beam (the last active from the dawns wrath group) is very good. I take the first three spells from restoring light, morphing the first and third into breath of life and repentance. These are great for groups.

I use the stamina morph for backlash, as then you can use a stamina skill when you run out of magicka, although some people don't advise converting into stamina.

I quite like the javelin as is knocks enemies over, but the next one is supposed to be good, although I haven't got that far yet.

I use a restoration staff myself as it absorbs magicka.

Hope this helps.