The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is there a list somewhere of rare recipes?

Feric51
Feric51
✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, so I'm not sure of the exact number of recipes in the game, and that's not relevant to this question anyway, but what I want to know is: Has someone compiled a list of the really rare or hard to get recipes? I'm talking green, blue and purple here. Ones that are looted from world objects mainly. I know recipes like dubious camoran throne, witches brew, etc are rare because they were only available during an event, but I'm more interested in ones that could, theoretically, be found everyday by RNG.

I have learned nearly every green recipe in the game on my master crafter, so when I loot a recipe and it's one I already have I simply sell it with a value based on the level range, and inherent rarity that way. But, if there are some recipes that are known to drop very infrequently I'd like to know that too, so I could charge a premium knowing that many other players may not have that in their assortment.

@STEVIL - you seem to be a very knowledgeable and active poster in the crafting forums, do you have any insight on this?

Thanks in advance guys!
Feric51
Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have learned every recipe on two characters, and 3 of my other mains have about 80% of the recipes known.

While you have the unicorns of the game like Highland Rabbit Stew, now days with the changes in the game and crafting and leveling you can basically put all recipes from Tier 2 to Tier 5 in the category of rare. Reason, they are crowded out now by Legerdemain items, trash items and furniture recipes. Plus, most players are either Tier 1 in Provisioning or Tier 6. Those in between are surfing dolmen zergs and being carried through Skyreach.

I sold a Green CP100 recipe today for 599 Gold. I sold a Purple CP150 recipe yesterday for 45K, that a year ago I could not give away. I can get 8K to 10K or more for blue recipes, some as much as 15K. And these are not the unicorns either. I once put a Blue Tier 4 recipe on a guild store for 29,999 and I sold it. I listed it as a joke.

So, there you go, any recipe Tier 2 to Tier 5 are rare. But, if you know the trick, getting those recipes is easy peasy, nice and cheesy.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's a free app eso workbench. I think it has them all
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of food and drinks in this game are staggering. lol
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the quick responses, but maybe I wasn't clear on my actual question.

I don't care how many recipes are out there, or which ones I don't have yet (I check each recipe I pick up and simply learn any that are still "unknown."

My question is more along the lines of recipe rarity. Example - I loot a lot of owned containers in Auridon that drop level 1-14 recipes. I get a ton of Borscht and tomato soup; but pumpkin cheesecake and hunter's pie are maybe a once-a-month find. Are the latter two recipes inherently rarer, or is it just good 'ol RNG? Anecdotally it would seem certain recipes are decidedly less common drops than others, and I was wondering if anyone had compiled a list of those particularly "rare" recipes, regardless of level or quality?

If this is just a coincidental roll of the RNG dice, then so be it, but I have seemed to detect a pattern of sorts when it comes to recipes, and was wondering if anyone else had noticed the same and had possibly produced a list of these rarer items.

Thanks again @EleonoraCrendraven and @kylewwefan for your quick responses earlier.
    Edited by Feric51 on July 28, 2017 7:17PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a there's with this.. Focused on Rare ones for write etc. UT One Tamriel.changed it all. Some were bot rare, they were just a level when you probably didn't know.about them

Now the CP 10-150 ones are rarer as Alfa jump to 160
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • mrdiamond666
    mrdiamond666
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    There was a there's with this.. Focused on Rare ones for write etc. UT One Tamriel.changed it all. Some were bot rare, they were just a level when you probably didn't know.about them

Now the CP 10-150 ones are rarer as Alfa jump to 160

So your CP determines which recipes you will find?
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if rarity is consistent across the platforms? My guess is that Nestor's info is based on a single platform (PC?). On PC you can use the MM add-on to give you current-ish values from actual sales. You could also use the TTC website to look up pricing, but again it will be PC based information.

BTW: There are in theory 266 food and 266 drink recipes. Plus the 29 additional recipes from Orsinium and holiday festivals. Grand total 561.
    Edited by Tarukmockto on July 28, 2017 11:14PM
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like other crafts, recipe finds are half & half your character's level and their recipe tier (the skill points invested the main skill, I think six, nor the four-point quality skill). So CP affects your finds, but it's not the only thing.

I think level 40 to CP 90 recipes are the rarest and most expensive, plus the purples used for master writs. For what it's worth.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about rarity of the drops (although some seem to only come from writ rewards and some seem more prevalent while stealing), but I can say that there is a list of those "most useful" when it comes to green recipes, as in a list of all recipes ever needed for provisioning writs.

It's also far more common to see recipe tier 1 or 6 than anything in between because folks tend to either invest nothing and gather tier 1 or max as quickly as possible to tier 6 for chances at master writs.

EDIT: to fix the link
    Edited by Tevalaur on July 29, 2017 6:41PM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just spent a good chunk of change on withered tree inn venison pot roast and a good bit of time searching guild traders. 65k and I'm told that was actually cheap. It was needed for master writ.
  • jclintab14a_ESO
    jclintab14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    @Nestor What is the trick?

Nestor wrote: »
    if you know the trick, getting those recipes is easy peasy, nice and cheesy.

• Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nestor What is the trick?

Nestor wrote: »
    if you know the trick, getting those recipes is easy peasy, nice and cheesy.

The trick is to leave various characters at other Provisioning levels and do their writs and steal from furnishings that might hold recipes. You'll sacrifice potential Provisioning Master Writs but gain mid-level recipes.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    At each quality level, there is definitely a wide range of rarity (drop rate). I've recently been trying to complete my recipe knowledge and, though I can't put hard numbers on it, I can tell you that some recipes are _much_ less likely to drop, and _much_ less available in guild stores, than others. Crafters are generally aware of this, and price their recipes accordingly. For example, you can find blue recipes that range from as little as 500 gold to as much as 50K. Needless to say, it's always the 20K+ recipe that I'm missing.

Every once in a while you get lucky because someone who is not as expert doesn't identify the rarity of their catch and posts it for pennies on the dollar. I recently nabbed a top-level food recipe which usually lists for 60K-100K for only 5K. I flipped it for 35K (still a big steal) in about 3 minutes.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Lotka
    Lotka
    ✭✭✭
    There's an add on with recipes you know and don't, if that's what you mean?
    PC NA Server
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lotka wrote: »
    There's an add on with recipes you know and don't, if that's what you mean?

I appreciate all the answers, and thanks for all the help, but I feel that @Amadis001 is really the only one following my main question.

Here's what I do know:
    - There are apps out there that track what recipes my character still needs.
    - Recipes at the mid-range levels are inherently rarer on the market due to most characters either being min or max on provisioning skill line.
    - Green < Blue < Purple in order of rarity based on looted drops.

An example of what I was truly asking:
    - Looking at the possibilities for level 30-34, green, health (meat) recipes. We have the following options: Elinhir Roast Antelope, Hare in Garlic Sauce, and Senchal Curry Fish and Rice. Does one of those three have a far lesser probability of dropping than the other two? Are they all the same RNG? Do meat dishes in general drop more/less than their magicka or stamina counterparts?

As @Amadis001 stated from his experience, and which my own anecdotal (mental) records indicate, there are some recipes within each level class that drop less frequently than others.

My initial question was along those lines. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of these rarer recipes? Or, is it all in my head and they all have the same RNG?

Thanks.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few things that may be useful to you.

We have a database tracking various items/loots which includes loots from writs. For example, the provisioning writs can be seen at http://esolog.uesp.net/viewlog.php?search=provisioner's+pack&amp;searchtype=npc Click the "View NPC" and then the "View Loots" to see the items recorded.

For example, the loots from the VI packs (http://esolog.uesp.net/viewNpcLoot.php?npc=Provisioner's+Pack+VI) show 1714 instances of that pack including all the recipe drop rates. Like the blue recipes seem to range from 0.2 to 2.1% so there's a little difference in rarity there. You'd have to look at each pack manually and we don't have good numbers for the lower level packs as not many people do them.

Another site of potential interest to you is our sales database (http://esosales.uesp.net/viewSales.php). You can search for recipes here and get the average price on PC-NA or PC-EU to get a rough idea on their rarity. Although some recipes are expensive for other reasons than rarity.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!